Brewer Fanatic

Best Android Apps?

brewerfan82

I bought an HTC Evo yesterday and was just wondering if anyone had any favorite apps that I should look at getting for it.

By the way, I'm loving it so far. Its integration with gmail, facebook, twitter, etc. is really slick! And I happen to live in Baltimore where most of the area actually has 4G coverage, which is awesome.

Lets see.. things I like.

1) Handcent SMS. Makes it look and feel like an iPhone with conversation style texting.

2) Say My Name. It'll read your contacts and say the name of the person calling/texting/emailing depending on settings.

3) Where's my droid. Loss your droid, sms your phrases and it'll reply with GPS location and turn off silent mode and ring.

4) Weather bug. Yeah it's weatherbug, but it's actually a nice weather app for the droid.

5) Power Control Widget - I don't remember if that's a default app, but it'll allow you to turn off things easily.

6) Advanced Task Killer - Kills apps that run in the background. Good for when you are trying to stretch battery time.

The rest of the stuff I run is for fun. Chrome2Phone, allows me to send chrome urls to phone. Works stupid fast. Google Sky Map, Google Voice app. Wifinder wifi listener agent.

I'll echo google sky map and the task killer. And conservation style texting is a must if yours doesn't feature it.

I just got fbook, which is a better facebook app than I previously had.

iheartradio, slacker and pandora are all great radio apps.

Andnav is a pretty cheap turn by turn gps app that works.

barcode scanner is fun to play with, but not super necessary.

craigsphone works well and lets you take pictures then post them.

the new fox6news app is pretty good.

And if you don't mind shameless selfpromotion my baggo scorekeeper is sweet and one day if I finish them, my different solitares will be cool too.

I just wish I had better android. The Motorola Cliq is the worst phone I've ever had.

Awesome, thanks guys! Just as a follow up, here are my favorite apps/widgets/games so far:

Apps:

Battery Indicator (puts a battery life percentage in the status bar)

Carrr Matey (pirate themed app that uses gps to mark your location, ie. parking spot, to return to later. worked like a charm at the philadelphia game last weekend!)

Chrome to Phone (sends your current webpage in Google Chrome to your phone with one click)

CraigsNotifica (allows you to set filters and get alerts from Craigslist listings)

Dolphin Browser HD

Google Goggles

Handcent SMS

Happy Hours (finds happy hours near you)

Meebo IM

Movies (Flixster)

Reverse Lookup (does reverse lookups on unknown incoming numbers)

SayMyName Dessert

Shazam

Tabular (guitar chords/tabs)

TV Guide Mobile

Widgets:

ESPN ScoreCenter

Jorte (calendar)

Multicon (lets you display 4 or more apps in one block)

The Weather Channel

Other Games/Fun Stuff:

Chuck Norris Jokes & Facts

Epic Fails

Throw a Panda

Toss It

Unblock Me

• 1 month later...

Homerun Battle 3D

I've always only downloaded free games onto my phone, but Homerun Battle had a free version and it hooked me. I ponied up the $4.99 for the full version yesterday. Great game, super addicting, and it's baseball.

Archived