Brewer Fanatic

Game Etiquette - A Thing of the Past?

TheCrew07

I was at the game last night watching the horrible pitching performances by everyone but Shouse and Parra (4 ABs, 4 Ks... pretty impressive). However I bet I missed at least every 4th pitch during the game because people were constantly getting up in the middle of the game. I've noticed this more and more over the last couple of years, but what happened to waiting for the time between innings or at least between pitches to get up and out of your seat? Why is it acceptable to constantly be up and moving around blocking other people's view while there is action on the field? It wasn't just one group of fans, it was amost everyone in the 5-6 rows immediately in front of us. Up and Down, up and down, all game long... it really got on my nerves last night, enough so that I needed to vent.

Have I just been unlucky at my last 10 or so Brewer games or is this becoming the norm? We have season tickets to Badger football games but the section is full of regulars and we've never had a problem with people there.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Game etiquette in Milwaukee has always sucked. I wish they would adopt the policy of Colorado (among other cities), where ushers will let you leave, but not go back until there is a stoppage in play (out, ptiching change, end of inning).

My 20 pack is the front row of the upper deck, so it hasn't been a problem for me this season. However, whenever I sit somewhere else, it is utterly annoying.

it isn't just you, it happens to me too, at Admirals games the Ushers won't let you back in until there is a stoppage in play, I wish Brewers ushers would do that, although, overall, I'm not impressed with the job the Brewers ushers do, it seems like they just stand there and do nothing unless they are in the first level.

I think this just goes along with the fact that the Brewers are drawing deep in the very casual "band wagon fans". People just aren't used to going to games, nor the norms of a ball game. You can hear it on TV when we cheer like it's a home run on routine fly balls, these same people don't wait at the tops or the end of a row for at bats to finish. That and the horrible boos for a just called up pitcher who didn't perform.

Hopefully this will pass as the casual fans before more educated and get used to the "quirks" of attending ball games.

Some of the rudeness stems from those "fans" who are at the game purely to be seen; I guess they think, with the Brewers performance this year, that it's "in" to be seen at Miller Park.

I posted once before that my dad took the time to teach me how to be polite at the ballpark, and I use those lessons to this day (even at Chase in Phoenix, where the ushers keep you out of the aisles during game action, but many of the fans are still rather rude).

Is it bad etiquette to wear a 3rd party jersey to a game, in this case a Brewers jersey?

No. That's a personal choice that does not affect anyone's abilit to enjoy the game. Bad etiquette would be to constantly brag that the Brewers are better than both of those teams.

for all of you "cheap" fans like me who sit in the Terrace, one of my favorite beermen is the "really cold beer here, lot's of ice on the beer, really cold." Anyway, he has kneepads on and carries the beer on his head. I wish all vendors were like this, whenever he sells anything he gets down on his knees and then takes the money and opens it down there out of people's way. There are so many beermen that I see just stand in the middle of the aisle or row, and are just rude. I wish more fans were like that, I always get what I need to eat before the game, and when I have to go to the bathroom I leave in between innings.

And about the jersey thing. What has already been mentioned. When my dad and I go on ballpark trips and see other teams play, I always wear Brewers stuff, shows who you are and where you are from.

Any time the park is packed, you're going to get a lot of dullards, unfortunately. If you've ever been to a late season weekday game when the Brewers are out of contention, you know the opposite is true...the people are diehards who are there to have fun and enjoy the game, and tend to be a lot more polite, too.

Personally, I'm resolving to be a little more vocal with people if I see this kind of stuff at the next game we go to. We went to a game a while back, and the guys next to us got up literally every inning to get more beer. I don't see how they didn't get cut off...maybe they were going to different vendors or something. All the standing up and down when you're trying to enjoy baseball gets old pretty quick. At least they weren't the stupid, loud, belligerent type of drunks that usually frequent Miller Park.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'll admit, I got up a bit more at the last game I went to than normal. However, I realize not to get up during a pitch or when the ball is in play, stay at the top of the aisle until a break. I won't be that person who interrupts play to get up and get beer and food. I'll only get up for beverages and food once per game...all the other times are out of necessity.

Archived