Brewer Fanatic

Manny Ramirez to White Sox

TooLiveBrew

Link

Dodgers confir[m] Manny gone to Chisox, details negotiated. If one can hit, quitting on teams in pennant races is forgiven

No specifics on the deal as of yet. The MLBTradeRumors post mentioned that the Dodgers were mulling over taking the cost savings, or 3B prospect Jon Gilmore back from Chicago.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I continue to be impressed with Kenny Williams as a GM. He's aggressive and not afraid to take some risks now and then.

Edit: Jon Heyman is saying this morning that this will go through as a pure waiver claim, where the White Sox will absorb the remaining $4 million or so left on his contract.

Also noticed that Manny left the Dodgers in impressive fashion, getting ejected after a called third strike yesterday.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Actually, Manny got ejected for arguing the first pitch of a pinch-hit appearance with the bases loaded and the Dodgers trailing. Reed Johnson had to finish the AB and grounded into an inning-ending double play.

Manny sure knows how to dramatically leave a town, that's for sure.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

To be fair to Manny, all reports that I heard say that the pitch wasn't even close to a strike. It really sounds like an ump with an attitude.

Robert

Not only that he had a very very quick hook. If you watch the video Manny says about 5 words to the ump and gets tossed.

Yeah, you guys are right. I just briefly watched the video this morning and assumed it was a third strike. I do think the ump had a bit of a quick hook, but Manny would have probably gotten ejected anyway with how he was yelling at him. That pitch was clearly outside the zone, however.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

i'd bet that Manny had it planned to get thrown out in the first place, just as a last middle finger to the Dodgers and the organization. manny just isn't going to be happy no matter where he ends up.

it'll be really interesting what happens to him this offseason. i get the feeling that he's going to end up just like Dye. all he'll get is $5M DH offers (I presume), but he'll consider the money to be insulting and will end up not signing with anyone.

maybe it was on MLBTR, but i read that the White Sox still are only given about a 10% chance of making the playoffs from where they stand now. i assume Manny will be a big boost, but that's still a tough hill to climb. this move should have happened two weeks ago.

I hadn't really paid attention to the Dodgers this season, but listening to national talk radio the past week or so, you would think Manny Ramirez was hitting like Carlos Gomez this season. So I looked up his numbers.

.311/.405/.510

Ok.

Archived