Brewer Fanatic

New fix for shadows at Miller Park

PrinceEatMeat

Call me skeptical, but I would say today's outburst had more to do with the fact that they were facing Charlie Morton than the reduced shadows. If it helps the team think they have more of a chance, though, I guess it's worth it. It'll be interesting to see what happens the rest of the season, since they only have 3 more games like this to try it.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I think it's odd that they are moving an April day game to a night game. Aren't most April games played under a closed roof to begin with?
In recent years, yes; but a night game would eliminate shadows from the sun coming into the first-base-line windows. Plus the Brewers seem to like creating late nights for the hawing household, so what's one more in 2011?
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Not to get off topic but.. Braun is boycotting the media?...why?

I read that too and was like, huh? This is the first I've heard of it, and since I couldn't find McCalvy's email, I emailed Haudricourt. He replied back that he wasn't at the game and knows nothing about it.

ETA: I found McCalvy's email address and emailed him about it.

Braun is boycotting the Media, where did you see this?
Was in the linked article...
Braun finished 4-for-4 with his 19th home run, and reached safely all

five times up. But he continued his recent media boycott and declined to

talk to reporters after the Brewers' 8-4 win.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I wonder how the pitchers feel about this.

Would it be acceptable by MLB rules to close the half-roof when the Brewers are at bat and open the half-roof when the opponents are at bat? You know, kind of like turning off the air conditioning on a 100 degree day in the visitors' dugout in Miami.

The fan-shaped roof was decided on by a vote of fans. It looks cool but causes the shadows. A simpler roof is in Seattle, where the entire roof moves well past the right field wall. I attended a day game there recently, and there were no shadows on any part of the field at any point during the game.

Regarding Miller Park's situation, it will be interesting to see if today's fix will allow the batter to see the spin of the pitch.

Would it be acceptable by MLB rules to close the half-roof when the Brewers are at bat and open the half-roof when the opponents are at bat? You know, kind of like turning off the air conditioning on a 100 degree day in the visitors' dugout in Miami.

On the radio they mentioned that the umpires gave it the OK, as long as it stayed in one place for the game, barring rain that would require it to be closed all the way. So, they couldn't even move it with the sun.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Community Moderator

The fan-shaped roof was a good idea. The other retractable roof ballparks look like airplane hangars.

It has also been suggested on this site that the Brewers invest in retractable curtains for the RF windows above the terrace. This would further eliminate the shadows.

I still hear no explanation why the roof problem does not affect our opponents. However, the Brewers need to try their best to create a home field advantage, so if the players want a repositioned roof, they should oblige.

Call me skeptical, but I would say today's outburst had more to do with the fact that they were facing Charlie Morton than the reduced shadows. If it helps the team think they have more of a chance, though, I guess it's worth it. It'll be interesting to see what happens the rest of the season, since they only have 3 more games like this to try it.

Right. Just make every opponent have to use a Pirate pitcher and the problem would be solved.

I still hear no explanation why the roof problem does not affect our opponents.

Yes, that is always the mystery and I may have missed it, but I am not aware of any of our players adding something like "...but the conditions are the same for both teams", when they complain.

If moving the roof to minimize shadows becomes standard procedure, I wonder if the policy would change at some future date if the Brewers ever have a team built around pitching, rather than hitting.

Well, the Pirates had plenty to say about Miller Park after yesterday's game. Regarding Evan Meek getting hit by the Braun line drive:

Pirates manager John Russell blamed the windows in the roof at Miller Park, which allow the sun to stream through and create shadows and glare around the home plate area.

"Hopefully, someday they'll do something about that pane glass up there," Russell said. "I know from coaching third (base) that you can never see the ball off the bat. I hope somebody doesn't get hurt really bad someday."

The roof was partially closed during the game. It was shaded around the plate early in the game, but the light changed as the sun moved.

"When it's bright like that, it's very hard to see the ball," closer Joel Hanrahan said. "It's scary."

Meek, however, said glare was not the reason for his injury.

"I saw (the ball)," Meek said. "When you hang a slider to a really good hitter, that's what's going to happen."

In the first inning, Pirates starter Charlie Morton deflected Joe Inglett's line drive with his glove and shoulder.

Guess you can't keep everyone happy, but for those wondering about other teams complaining about the daytime conditions, there you go.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I have noticed complaints from visiting players every year since Miller Park opened. I am glad the Brewers are trying to improve things rather than just telling their players to "get over it". It's good to improve working conditions, improve safety, and take care of your employees. That is what successful companies do.

I do hope the Brewers eventually invest in curtains or blinds to block out light from the window above first base. Even as a fan, I find the shadows annoying regardless of whether you are at the game or whether you are watching on TV.

I was also very happy with the roof panel experiment they tried on Sunday. I attended that game and found it much easier to see compared to normal. I hope they keep working at it more.

Why not tint the windows and go with field turf?
Because everyone hates field turf. The whole point of Miller Park was to be able to enjoy outdoor baseball when the weather permits. Turf does not equal true outdoor baseball.

I'm guessing they'll invest in curtains eventually, but that will be a multi-million dollar investment.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Community Moderator
Artificial turf is about 75% of the way to being an acceptable alternative. I think it will eventually be superior to grass and you will see some MLB teams adopting it again. However, the current version of Field Turn still looks fake. When it is improved to the point that you can't really tell the difference unless you are up close, the Brewers will probably consider switching. I could see that happening in about 10 years. There are also those grass/artificial turf hybrids that could be considered.

Archived