Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo robbed at gunpoint

Bikeage77

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would not want to be in that neighborhood at 2:30am.

I

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Without knowing the neighborhood....there's really only one place a guy should be at 2:30 in the morning: in bed.

I'm sure baseball players don't have the most usual sleep schedule, since their job requires them to be 'on' from 7-10 pm most nights, but the team pays him more than enough money to not place himself in that situation.

Without knowing the neighborhood....there's really only one place a guy should be at 2:30 in the morning: in bed.

I'm sure baseball players don't have the most usual sleep schedule, since their job requires them to be 'on' from 7-10 pm most nights, but the team pays him more than enough money to not place himself in that situation.

I'm just not gonna buy that. Guy is what, 24 years old? He can do what he wants. Not the best place to be, but his duty to the Brewers is to show up and pitch. Not be in bed by 10 p.m. My employer has no business telling me where to be at 2 a.m. It shouldn't be any different for him. He can do what he wants at his own risk. It's not what I'd be doing with a wife and three kids (I think that's his situation), but, he's a grown man. I've heard lots of stories about Gallardo's "extracurriculars," but let's place the blame on the robber and not the victim. As far as we know right now, he's an innocent victim. Going out at night doesn't mean you're fair game to be robbed.

Yea, thats a pretty bad blanket statement.

Guess what, I'm 29 and am going to be out past 2:30 tonight. Does that mean I am up to no good or if I get robbed its my fault?

Reports say that it happened outside a supermarket. It's not like he was out at a night club at that time, pulled a Plaxico Burress, or did anything to put himself in danger other than being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's a scary situation, and thankfully no one was seriously harmed.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm just not gonna buy that. Guy is what, 24 years old? He can do what he wants. Not the best place to be, but his duty to the Brewers is to show up and pitch. Not be in bed by 10 p.m. My employer has no business telling me where to be at 2 a.m. It shouldn't be any different for him. He can do what he wants at his own risk. It's not what I'd be doing with a wife and three kids (I think that's his situation), but, he's a grown man. I've heard lots of stories about Gallardo's "extracurriculars," but let's place the blame on the robber and not the victim. As far as we know right now, he's an innocent victim. Going out at night doesn't mean you're fair game to be robbed.

Spend enough time in a situation where bad things can happen to you, don't be surprised if something bad happens to you eventually. Same thing if he were to get hit by a drunk driver at 2:30 a.m.; not his fault for being hit, not a great choice to be there though. Making matters worse, it was a day game, so he would have been out of Miller Park by what...5, 6 p.m.?

Is there anything in his contract that prohibits him from making a poor decision? Arguably (depending on the wording of the morals clause), but probably not. If the team were on the road, I assume he would be breaking curfew out that late (not something that's usually reported on, but I assume there's a curfew like in most other sports). That said, it's not really whether there's a rule against it; it's that you expect him to know better.

Part of being a 'professional' anything is building a reputation. As a baseball player, specifically, it's your reputation that will get you paid when your numbers don't necessarily call for it anymore. The choice that he made (and since presumably this wasn't the only time, makes) is not one that is condusive to building the repuation he should want.

Guess what, I'm 29 and am going to be out past 2:30 tonight. Does that mean I am up to no good or if I get robbed its my fault?

Do you have to go to work tomorrow? (Yes, I know that Yo pitched that day, and wasn't likely to do anything more strenuous than stretching....but there is always the chance that he'd be called on to pinch hit. Doesn't matter.)

Does your job allow you to have minimal responsibility 5 months of the year....and if so, is this part of the 7 months when you're supposed to be focused on said job?

Ah the old if you go to bet early and get up early you aren't getting in trouble and are more productive line. I say bunk. One of the biggest alchoholic guys I know gets up every day at 5 AM for work, is done by 3 and drunk by 5PM so he can get home and in bed by 8 to get up and do it again. I hate that early to bed early to rise stuff. I stay out late and get up late because I can, doesn't mean I am causing trouble or getting into trouble any more that I could at 7 PM on a Tuesday. Being out late doesn't mean you are stumbling around drunk any more than being home in bed at 7 PM doesn't mean you weren't out drunk and stumbling around. If a person is a partier and a trouble maker it doesn't matter the time of day.

He had also just withdrawn money from an ATM machine and I'm sure he had a bunch of jewelry hanging all over his body. I'm guessing the guy/guys that robbed him were waiting by the ATM machine for someone to come by and take out money. It's certainly not his fault that he got robbed, but you need to be a little smarter about how you act. He was an easy target. If I leave my front door wide open and leave for 4 hours I shouldn't be surprised to come home and see all my stuff gone.

If my job required me to be at my most alert point of the day between 7-10pm, I'd probably be going to bed around 4 or 5 am normally. It seems like it would be the same as working 2nd shift. It's not his fault that bad guys tend to come out at the time he's up - what is he supposed to do, hide out in his house all the time?

vv And there's a Jalisco right next to it. Sounds like the initial

report just had the wrong address, but it was still a supermarket

parking lot.

According to Google Maps, there is a supermarket on the 1000 block of S Cesar Chavez Drive, "El Rey Market" -- link -- so it's still possible the initial reports of it happening at a supermarket could still be correct.

Not saying that's where it happened, and I don't know Milwaukee very well, but that area doesn't look that bad. Then again, I've spent a lot of time in New York, so maybe my perspective is skewed a bit.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If I were outside at 2:30 am in that neighborhood, I'd keep my head on a swivel -- I certainly wouldn't wear a bunch of jewelry. I'm glad nobody got seriously hurt, but he/they likely made themselves easy targets.

Do you have to go to work tomorrow?

Yo probably doesn't have to be to MP until the afternoon. Like a lot of younger people, I'm sure he's "wired" to stay up later and wake up later.

bjkrautk[/b]]

Do you have to go to work tomorrow? (Yes, I know that Yo pitched that day, and wasn't likely to do anything more strenuous than stretching....but there is always the chance that he'd be called on to pinch hit. Doesn't matter.)

Does your job allow you to have minimal responsibility 5 months of the year....and if so, is this part of the 7 months when you're supposed to be focused on said job?

I am a night person. Always have been, always will be. The corporate working world is set up for morning people. I don't need people looking down at me just because of the way I am naturally wired. Similarly, nobody should be infering anything about Yo just because he wasn't in bed at that time.

If I was a baseball player that pitched mostly night games once a week I would certainly be up at 2:30 every day. I see no problem with that. To say this is at all Yo's fault is ridiculous. I hate when people try to put blame on the victim of a crime.

This has way less to do with an athlete being up at 2.30 and more to do with inadvisable behavior in a more, shall we say, crime-prevalent part of town. Grabbing some cash at Miller Park vs. waiting to do it in the dark in a less safe part of Milwaukee? Good thinking, guys...

That's awful. My friend lived on Cesar Chavez drive for about two years about a block from where the robbery was reported, not the best area to be at night. We've made that 2:30am walk to Jalisco's before and I felt uncomfortable there (we are two pretty big guys, though).

There is a bank about three blocks from Jalisco's, so the progression of events makes logical sense, it is just unfortunate. I'm just glad that other than the loss of personal belongings and some mental/physical bruises everyone is okay.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived