Brewer Fanatic

Anyone have a portable XM radio?

bullox

I'm looking at picking one up - I had XM in a rental car recently and now I'm hooked.

I'm looking at the Pioneer Inno2 and the Samsung Helix. Anyone have either of these?

I need a model that works on the go - I don't want to have to plug it in to a base to get the broadcasts.

I've had a MyFi (which was the 1st generation of portables) for about two years. The FM transmitter in it is better than the later generations, but that's about the only advantage it has over the new ones (aside from the accessories that came with it - now you need to buy most of them seperately). I love it, it's a super durable piece of hardware.

I have a friend who has an Inno and he loves it.

I have 4 xm radios. I just picked up the portable Samsung two weeks ago. No problems. I don't care for the interface all that much, for the price I paid it's fine. I wasn't planning on get another one, but this one was had a serious clearance price reduction.

In total I've had 5 xm radios, they all have worked well - except for one. The Roady2 that was in my car died after about 2 months.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

I never had any problem with them at all until they decided to suspend Opie & Anthony.

That almost caused me to cancel. If they would have fired them (as they were rumored to really be doing) I would have smashed it and cancelled.

I'm on the tail end of a long road trip to South Carolina and picked up a new Helix for cheap on Ebay just before I left. The helix is identical hardware to the Inno. I guess they just stopped production and that's why it?s dropped so much from its launch price of $400.

With the inno 2 car kit it works great, but the signal can be poor when your walking around without clear view of the sky. It was fun sitting at a Charleston River Dogs and listening to the Brewers.

I'm pleased with it. I believe that they sell headphones with an antenna for better reception if it's an issue.

I've had the MyFi for awhile. It worked fine until a couple weeks ago when the display went blank. I've taken out and replaced the battery and also reset it but to no avail. So I just have a blank lighted blue display. Which is fine I guess since I only listen to Opie and Anthony anway. I'm thinking about picking up an Inno soon. They have refurbished ones on myradiostore.com for 99 bucks.

The Roady 2 pretty much sucks in my opinion. I'm on my second one, only because the first one died within the warranty period.

The only plus is that it was easy to get a replacement, and Delphi returned the part of the mounting bracket that I forgot to detach. But the buttons are impossible to operate while driving; they're just too dang small to see.

I have a couple other home/car units laying around, but I don't know the brand offhand. I got them for minus three bucks apiece on a clearance website. ($27, I believe, with a $30 mail-in rebate; I actually bought them for the spare antennas.)

The only reason I haven't switched over to one of the new ones is that I don't have the transformer for home operation, and I don't want to buy the whole $40 home kit when I only need one piece. I've seen one in operation, though. It would be a definite improvement for car usage.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived