Brewer Fanatic

Trevor Hoffman claimed on waivers by White Sox?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If both the White Sox and Red Sox made a waiver claim on Hoffman, how would we trade him? If we trade him to one, the other will just claim him...

Or is it one of those "we will let you claim him if you give us X?"

actually, Hoffman's been very good for most of the year now. At this

point I'd consider bringing him back next year, even if it's just as

insurance should Axford struggle.

No thank you. Everyone has been waiting for Hoffman to decline and I think its obvious that he has. We have enough young options right now that we don't need more high priced vets.

If both the White Sox and Red Sox made a waiver claim on Hoffman, how would we trade him? If we trade him to one, the other will just claim him...

Or is it one of those "we will let you claim him if you give us X?"

Team with the worse record gets the claim.

Yeah, that I understand... If we just want to dump him, let whomever claim him.

But the main discussion is about trading him. Generally, (after the July trading deadline) teams put players on waivers and if no one claims them they can be traded. But if two teams claim him, he can't clear waivers for a trade...

(Ironically, I think the Brewers would rather get the ticket boost out of Hoffman going for save #600 in a Brewers uniform over a middling prospect. If he gets a quick 2 saves by the weekend, he may be gone sooner than expected.)
My estimation is that it would be very minimal extra ticket sales revenue and that it would not come close to the payroll savings for Hoffman for the rest of the year. Trade him for nothing, if he wants to go.

Yeah, that I understand... If we just want to dump him, let whomever claim him.

But the main discussion is about trading him. Generally, (after the July trading deadline) teams put players on waivers and if no one claims them they can be traded. But if two teams claim him, he can't clear waivers for a trade...

I think it's that the claiming team that has priority can: 1) Work out a trade for the claimed player, 2) Take on the player without sending another player in return, 3) Pass

I might not be right about all three of those, but I'm pretty sure the first two are correct.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The claiming team only has the first two options that you list; the original team can pull the player back. If a claim is put in there's no passing and the only way claiming team doesn't get said player is if the original team revokes waivers. If that's the case, I believe the waived player can't be placed on waivers again for 30 days, which at this point is irrelevant.

I think that's right. Is that right?

From Adam McCalvy article:

"Melvin said an Internet rumor that Hoffman was claimed earlier this week by the White Sox was untrue."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think it's that the claiming team that has priority can: 1) Work out a trade for the claimed player...

That was the part I was unsure on. I thought the trade could only happen if no one else claimed him...

Would be interesting if someone traded for Hoffman now just so he could get #600 with that team. That would be a black eye to the Brewers, IMO.

Archived