Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tue. 8/24 -- Odorizzi (8 IP, 10 K's) and Rosario combine on Rattler NO-HITTER!!

Mass Haas
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That certainly was fun to follow on a Tuesday night, as I had to turn down the Brewers game to tune in. He had a couple of back-to-back rough starts, so it's nice to see him rebound with an exclamation point, against a pretty tough Kernels team to boot.

I hope to catch his next start when the T-Rats return home, although trying to figure out when that may happen is nearly impossible given their goofy pitching staff with seemingly little to no rhyme or reason.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Great for Odorizzi and the Rats, but I can't believe I decided against going to this game. Tonight was Kraft singles 2 for 1 night which meant that I could have went with my wife and sat five rows behind home for $12 total!

Odorizzi is blowing away the league at 20. I can't wait to see this guy in Milwaukee.

If only my puppy knew that I skipped this game to take him to the park tonight.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I hope to catch his next start when the T-Rats return home, although trying to figure out when that may happen is nearly impossible given their goofy pitching staff with seemingly little to no rhyme or reason.
Yeah, it was seven days of rest for Jake before this start.

Odorizzi is blowing away the league at 20.

Non-alcoholic beverage to celebrate, young man...

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_543606.jpg

I think this was huge for Jake. I thought that over the last five games that maybe his arm was just worn out having pitched 108 IP's (pitch only 67.2 innings during his first to seasons, 47 innings coming in Helena last season.) That is a big jump. But I think tonight proved that he his arm is still good. Here is just a look at what I was talking about that made me think that he was just spent...

First 21 games (18 starts)

78.2IP 64h 25ER 26bb 96k's

Over his past 5 (prior to tonight)

29.1IP 28H 18ER 10BB 24K

Yeah, it was seven days of rest for Jake before this start.

Odorizzi is blowing away the league at 20.

Non-alcoholic beverage to celebrate, young man...

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_543606.jpg

Lol with the Brewers luck he will have two front page articles in tomorrow's paper, the first and the big one will be Odorizzi, Rosario No Hit Cedar Rapids! The second and smaller one on the side column will be 20 year old T-Rat Star Pitcher Recieves Underage Drinking Ticket After No Hitter (well thats a little long of a title but ha) Very happy I was able to catch the end of the game and congrats Odorizzi and Rosario!

Final: Wisconsin 3, @Cedar Rapids 0

Odorizzi & Rosario combine on no-hitter at Cedar Rapids

Chris Mehring/Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

CEDAR RAPIDS, IA – Jake Odorizzi and Adrian Rosario grabbed a piece of history on Tuesday night in the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers 3-0 win over the Cedar Rapids Kernels at Perfect Game Field. The duo combined to no-hit the Kernels for the first Wisconsin no-no since August 27, 2010. Odorizzi struck out 10 over eight innings. Rosario pitched around a one out walk in the ninth to record the final two outs to close out the gem.

Kentrail Davis gave the Rattlers (53-72 overall, 27-30 second half) the lead in the fifth inning. He stepped to the plate with the bases loaded and one out. Davis hit a sharp grounder that was headed to center. But, Kernels starter Stephen Locke deflected the ball to second baseman Jean Segura for a 1-4-3 putout to get the run home from third.

Wisconsin tacked on two more runs in the top of the sixth inning on two hits that barely traveled a combined 90 feet. Joey Paciorek dropped a perfect squeeze bunt up the first base line to drive in the first run. D’Vontrey Richardson sent a high chopper up the third base line with the bases loaded. Locke went over to field the ball, but had no play as the third Wisconsin run of the night crossed the plate.

Odorizzi had the Kernels off kilter all night. The Kernels (74-50, 31-25) got their first base runner of the night on an error in the second inning. In the fourth Odorizzi hit Jose Jimenez with two outs. Then, the Brewers pitching prospect retired the next ten batters in a row.

Cedar Rapids got a leadoff walk when John Karcich took a 3-2 pitch out of the zone in the eighth inning. Odorizzi got Justin Bass to fly out to right for the first out. Carlos Ramirez struck out and that brought Terrell Alliman, the number nine batter in the order to the plate. Alliman fouled of five different two-strike pitches and worked the count full before Odorizzi finally struck him out for the final out of the eighth.

Odorizzi threw nearly 30 pitches in the eighth inning and his pitch count ballooned to nearly 110 for the evening. The decision was made to go to Rosario for the ninth.

The slender righty out of the Dominican Republic got Jean Segura to fly out to center for the first out, but he walked Michael Wing to put a runner on base. Rosario responded by striking out Jeremy Cruz for the second out. Then, Jimenez chased three straight pitches in the dirt for the final out.

Wisconsin’s last no-hitter was tossed in Cedar Rapids. Derrick Van Dusen struck out twelve in a 9-inning complete game to beat the Kernels at old Veterans Memorial Stadium.

The last combined no-hitter in Timber Rattlers history was on July 26, 1990 when John Conner and Jim Smith teamed up to beat the Wausau Timbers.

One other note about the no hitter. Odorizzi was the starting pitcher at Burlington on April 16, 2010. He pitched five innings without allowing a hit as the starter. Then, Damon Krestalude got to within one strike of a combined no-hitter at Community Field against the Bees.

The Timber Rattlers continue their road trip by starting a three-game series against the Burlington Bees at Community Field on Wednesday night. Hiram Burgos (4-5, 3.63) is the scheduled starting pitcher for Wisconsin. The Bees have Tyler Sample (5-8, 4.47) as their scheduled starter. Game time is 6:30pm. Tune in for the play-by-play action on AM1280, WNAM beginning with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:10pm.

Wisconsin box score

Awesome! The only thing better would have been if Mike Trout was still on the Kernels. The no-hitter would have been sweet revenge for all the torment Trout caused them in the first half, though of course if he was still on the team, he probably would have had a hit (or three). Odorizzi threw 107 pitches, 79 for strikes. Hunter Morris and Chris Dennis were each 2-4 with a walk; Morris kept his power stroke in practice with a double. Khris Davis was 1-4 with a walk, Kentrail Davis went 0-5, and Richardson added a walk to his infield single while fanning twice. Scooter Gennett again did not play.

Wisconsin play-by-play

Final: Montgomery 7, @Huntsville 0

Huntsville box score

Not much going on in this one. Michael Bowman was doing fine through five innings, having allowed two scores, but he was hit for three more runs, and Eddie Morlan for yet another, in the Biscuits' four-run 6th. Each of the first six batters in Huntsville's lineup drew a walk, but the Stars could manage just four hits. Brett Lawrie committed his 22nd error (fielding). Jeremy Jeffress tossed a scoreless 9th, allowing a hit and inducing three ground outs.

Huntsville play-by-play

The Stars put a runner on second four different times but could never break through. This was the most egregious offense:

Huntsville Bottom of the 3rd
  • Anderson Machado doubles (20) on a line drive to right fielder John Matulia.
  • Chuck Caufield hits a sacrifice bunt. Anderson Machado to 3rd. Chuck Caufield to 1st.
  • Dayton Buller strikes out swinging.
  • Lee Haydel called out on strikes.
  • Brett Lawrie flies out to center fielder Rashad Eldridge.

Odorizzi, Wisconsin deliver no-hitter
Robert Emrich/Special to MLB.com

Pitching at Perfect Game Field on Tuesday, Jake Odorizzi didn't throw one, but he came awfully close.

Odorizzi matched career highs with 10 strikeouts over eight innings and Adrian Rosario fanned two in the ninth inning to seal the no-hitter as Class A Wisconsin blanked Cedar Rapids, 3-0.

The Brewers' first-round pick in 2008, Odorizzi faced just three batters over the minimum. After a leadoff fielding error by second baseman Connor Lind in the second inning, the right-hander retired the next eight in order. Odorizzi walked a batter, hit another and did not allow a runner to reach second base.

"Everything was working," he said. "Everything clicked, I could throw anything in any count, it's nice to have that when it comes around."

Odorizzi ended his night by striking out Terrell Alliman after an 11-pitch at-bat. In doing so, he matched the career high in strikeouts he set during the Timber Rattlers' June 26 11-7 victory over Burlington.

"It was pretty satisfying (ending it with a strikeout)," he said. "I was throwing a lot of fastballs, because if he was going to get a hit, I wanted him to earn it. He really battled, hats off to him."

The 20-year-old, who also throws a slider, curveball and a changeup, had struggled in his previous start Aug. 16. He allowed six runs on seven hits in 4 2/3 innings in an 11-10 loss, also against Cedar Rapids.

"I knew it was going to be the last time I would face these guys this year. I wanted to come out and have a good outing, but I never imagined it would be this good," Odorizzi said.

It was the fourth no-hitter in the Midwest League in 2010. It was the third such Timber Rattlers' feat, and the first since Derrick Van Dusen did so against Cedar Rapids on Aug. 27, 2001.

Odorizzi and Wisconsin came close to a no-hitter earlier this season. After pitching five hitless innings against Burlington on April 16, Odorizzi watched Timber Rattlers reliever Damon Krestalude surrender a double with two outs in the ninth.

"It does (feel sweet) to finally complete it this time," Odorizzi said. "Last time it was a heartbreaker, losing it with two outs in the ninth. This time, watching the ninth inning go by, I had a good feeling. It meant a lot to the whole team."

The Illinois native, who has never thrown a complete game in three seasons as a pro, tried to convince Wisconsin coaches to let him pitch the ninth.

"I did my best lobbying act, tried everything I could think of. But I was about 120 pitches into it, and they said, 'No more, your career is more important,'" Odorizzi said. "I just had to go with it and respect their decisions and take the congratulations from everyone."

The game remained scoreless until the fifth, when Timber Rattlers right fielder Kentrail Davis hit a bases-loaded fielder's choice that plated Michael Marseco. Joe Paciorek squeezed in a run and D'Vontrey Richarson added an RBI single in the sixth.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2010/08/24/9KHRXVHi.jpg

(Ken Weisenberger/MiLB.com)

Final: Helena 4, @Casper 3

Helena box score

Things looked grim when the Brewers gave up a run in the bottom of the 8th to hand the Ghosts a 3-2 lead, but the H-Crew stormed back with one in the 9th to tie and another in the 10th to win. Starter Austin Ross again pitched very well: 7 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 K, 9/2 GO/AO. That runs his K/BB to 37/5 in 33 innings--amazing. Alex Jones and Brian Garman worked scoreless innings for the win and save, respectively. Cody Hawn posted a perfect night at the plate, 2-2 with three walks, to continue his recent resurgence.

Helena play-by-play

The rallies:

Helena Top of the 9th

• Franklin Romero grounds out, third baseman Brett Tanos to first baseman Blake McDade.
  • Cody Hawn singles on a line drive to right fielder Juan Crousset.
  • Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Shea Vucinich replaces Cody Hawn.
  • Gregory Hopkins pops out to second baseman Jose Rivera.
  • Michael Walker reaches on fielding error by shortstop Jeffrey Squier. Shea Vucinich to 3rd.
  • Brandon Sizemore singles on a line drive to center fielder Rafael Ortega. Shea Vucinich scores. Michael Walker to 3rd.
  • Brent Dean strikes out swinging.

Helena Top of the 10th
  • John Dishon singles on a ground ball to center fielder Rafael Ortega.
  • Carlos George out on a sacrifice bunt, first baseman Blake McDade to second baseman Jose Rivera. John Dishon to 2nd.
  • Robert Garvey reaches on catcher interference by Michael Ramirez. Robert Garvey to 1st.
  • Franklin Romero flies out to right fielder Juan Crousset. John Dishon to 3rd.
  • With Shea Vucinich batting, Robert Garvey steals (7) 2nd base. Wild pitch by pitcher Juan Perez. John Dishon scores.
  • Shea Vucinich flies out to left fielder Corey Dickerson.

Jeez, Casper basically handed the game to them.

Final: @AZL Brewers 11, AZL Dodgers 2

AZL Brewers box score

Coming on in relief of mystery man Michael Schaub after three innings, Charly Bashara was outstanding, striking out ten over six scoreless frames to pick up the win. Tyler Roberts, who's been ice-cold this month, homered, as did Derrick Shaw, who had three hits. Nick Shaw continues to show what a good college hitter can do to the kids in the Arizona League, going 2-3 with two walks. Kenny Allison chipped in with a single, double, walk, and three steals, including one of home. TJ Mittelstaedt also walked twice and swiped two bags.

AZL Brewers play-by-play

Each of Allison's steals came during a separate time on base. His steal of home came during the Brewers' five-run 3rd:

AZL Brewers Bottom of the 3rd
  • Nick Shaw walks.
  • Kenneth Allison walks. Nick Shaw to 2nd.
  • Jason Rogers singles on a fly ball to left fielder Preston Mattingly. Nick Shaw to 3rd. Kenneth Allison to 2nd.
  • Thomas
    Mittelstaedt grounds into a force out, second baseman Enlly Morales to
    shortstop Charlie Mirabal. Nick Shaw scores. Kenneth Allison to
    3rd. Jason Rogers out at 2nd. Thomas Mittelstaedt to 1st.
  • Pitcher Change: Brandon Martinez replaces Nathan Eovaldi.
  • With Tyler Roberts batting, Kenneth Allison steals (15) home. Thomas Mittelstaedt steals (9) 2nd base.
  • Tyler Roberts grounds out, shortstop Charlie Mirabal to first baseman Beau Brett. Thomas Mittelstaedt to 3rd.
  • Steve Felix triples (1) on a fly ball to right fielder Chance Gilmore. Thomas Mittelstaedt scores.
  • Derrick Shaw homers (1) on a fly ball to left field. Steve Felix scores.
  • John Bivens flies out to left fielder Preston Mattingly.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stars blanked by Biscuits

By Aaron Morse, Huntsville Stars

The Huntsville Stars (29-29, 62-66) managed only four hits in a 7-0 defeat at the hands of the Montgomery Biscuits (27-31, 65-61) Tuesday night.

Despite the low hit total, the Stars did get runners on base in every inning except the second. They left nine men stranded, and went 0-7 with runners in scoring position. The Stars also hit into three double plays.

Alex Torres (10-6), Justin Dowdy, and Matt Gorgen combined to shutout the Stars.

Meanwhile, Huntsville starter Michael Bowman (9-11) got off to a good start, shutting down the Biscuits for the first three innings. But he ran into some trouble in the fourth. With one away, Nevin Ashley drew a walk. John Matulia followed with a ground-rule double, putting runners at second and third with only one away. Henry Wrigley drove in the first run of the game with a single to left. Matulia advanced to third, putting runners at the corners with still only one down. Drew M. Anderson drove in the second run of the frame with a RBI ground-out.

The same part of the order did more damage in the sixth. With one away, Matulia singled to right. After Wrigley drew a walk, Anderson doubled in a run to make the score 3-0. Bowman got the second out of the frame, but the Stars brought in Eddie Morlan to try and get the final out. He would, but only after giving up a three-run homer to Mike Folli.

Bowman’s final line ended up being: 5.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, and 5 K’s. He would take the loss as the Stars could get no offense going.

Montgomery added one more run in the eighth against Robert Hinton as Matt Spring doubled home Anderson.

With the loss, the Stars remain 4.5 games out of the Wild Card race behind the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx. They drop to eight back in the division with 12 to play of the Tennessee Smokies.

Tune in Wednesday afternoon for a matinee as the Stars look to salvage the finale of the three-game set. Mark Rogers (5-8, 3.93 ERA) takes the mound beginning at 1:00 PM central time. You can catch all the action on www.huntsvillestars.com.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
My guess is the Brewers' plan for Odorizzi is to have him start out next year in Brevard, promote him a little before midseason to Huntsville and then have him earn his way into Milwaukee sometime in 2012.

Exactly what they did with Yo. And I realize Jake is about a year older but he's arguably putting up better A ball stats than Gallardo did.

edit: apologies to wibadgers. I hadn't read your Gallardo vs. Odorizzi comparison when I posted this.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Austin Ross now has 37 K's and just 5 BB's in 33 IP!

So awesome, especially for a college closer converted to starting. With him, Nelson, Miller and Thornburg pitching very well, Idk how anyone can call the 2010 class a disappointment. This could be our best pitching class yet! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From Jeff Johnson's blog at the Cedar Rapids Gazette:

Jake Odorizzi will gladly sacrifice a chance to be alone in the record books, if it results in a long stint in professional baseball.

The 20-year-old Wisconsin Timber Rattler right-handed pitcher wasn’t upset long when he was pulled after throwing eight no-hit innings against the Cedar Rapids Kernels. If a possible future in the Major Leagues meant turning over his gem to a teammate then so be it.

“I’d take the long career over one no-hitter to my record,” Odorizzi said. “It’s no big deal.”

Oh, but it turned out to be a very big deal. Odorizzi’s gem was capped by reliever Adrian Rosario and the pair teamed to no-hit the Kernels in 3-0 Midwest League game last night at Memorial Stadium in front of 2,127 fans.

“It was fun for me to pitch. It was fun for everyone to watch,” Odorizzi said. “It was a great time out there. My teammates played great behind me and made plays for me. I had a blast out there it was awesome.”

His night ended a little prematurely for many people’s liking. Some of the fans, even Kernels fans, booed when he didn’t take the mound in the ninth. Odorizzi was upset about being pulled, but when he was told he had already thrown almost 120 pitches he realized it was the right move by Wisconsin Manager Jeff Isom.

“I was fired up at the moment,” Odorizzi said. “Wasn’t too happy about it then they told me how many pitches I had. You just have to let it go. Your career is more important than just one game.”

Odorizzi said he was able to throw all four of his pitches for strikes, which kept the kernels from keying on any one pitch. Eighty of his 118 pitches were strikes, supporting his claim. After all those pitches, Odorizzi wasn’t hurting after the game. He said it will probably catch up to him in a couple days.

“Too much adrenaline to feel tired,” Odorizzi said. “I’m sure I’ll feel it tomorrow or the next day. Right now, nothing.”

His teammates didn’t avoid him like the plague as the outs started mounting up. Like many traditions and superstitions in baseball, the feat wasn’t mentioned during the game. They didn’t need to tell the youngster what was at stake.

“They weren’t staying away from me,” said Odorizzi, who was greeted with a shaving cream pie to the face in the locker room after the game. “I knew what was going on. I wasn’t looking too much into it. You can’t do it or you get out of your groove.”

He watched the final inning on the top step as Rosario struck out the final two batters to end the game. Odorizzi was taking just as much joy from the combined no-hitter.

“Team no-hitters are a great accomplishment,” Odorizzi said. “It was great that I did good and it was great he came in and finished it out. It was an all-around good game.”

Rosario was grateful for a chance to close out the game, which became his first no-hit experience. he wasn’t worried with everything at stake.

“I don’t feel nervous,” Rosario said. “I just threw strikes and got outs.”

It was the third no-hitter at Memorial Stadium this season. Stephen Locke, who coincidentally pitched well in the loss, had a five-inning no-hitter for the Kernels July 12 in a rain-shortened game against Peoria that was supposed to be a 7-inning contest. Fabio Martinez, Kyle Hurst and Mike Kenney combined for a nine-inning no-hitter April 30 for the Kernels against Quad Cities.

It was the first no-hitter against the Kernels since Peoria did it on April 20, 2006.

It was a strong performance from the Milwaukee Brewers 2008 first-round draft pick out of Highland (Ill.) High School. He improved to 7-3 and dropped his earned-run average to 3.58.

He only allowed four base runners in eight innings, striking out 10 and allowing one walk, which was to Jon Karcich to lead off the eighth inning.

Wisconsin (27-30, 53-72) scored a run in the fifth when Michael Marseco scored on Kentrall Davis’ RBI groundout. The Timber rattlers scored twice again in the sixth on Joey Paciorek’s RBI single to score Khris Davis and D'Vontrey Richardson’s infield single that brought home Cameron Garfield.

The Kernels managed two base runners in the second when Jose Jimenez reached on an error to lead off the inning and Randal Grichuk took his place after a fielder’s choice. Cedar Rapids (31-25, 74-50) didn’t threaten and looked off-balance most of the night. A Grichuk line-out snatched by Paciorek at third to end the seventh was the team’s hardest hit ball.

“We chased a lot of pitches, ton of pitches out of the zone,” Kernels Manager Bill Mosiello said, noting that Odorizzi was able to deceive the batters up and down the lineup. “He obviously had some good stuff tonight.”

Locke (7-6) pitched well in six innings, allowing three runs on 10 hits. The three runs were produced by five infield singles. Locke tallied seven strikeouts. Mosiello complimented Locke’s performance.

”Good job by Stephen. He played a heck of a game,” Mosiello said. “He gave us a chance to win, and that’s all we ever ask out of those guys.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Casper Star-Tribune:

GHOSTS AT THE PLATE: After leading off the 10th with a single and needing a run to tie the game, SS Jeff Squire was picked off at first base. ... Two batters later, Rafael Ortega struck out and finished the night 0-for-5. He entered the game leading the Ghosts with a .354 average. ... Jeff Tanos had Casper's only extra-base hit, a double, and Corey Dickerson and Blake McDade each went 2-for-4.

BREWERS AT THE PLATE: None of Helena's hits went for extra bases. ... In the 10th, the Brewers advanced runners on catcher's interference and took the lead on a passed ball -- both with two outs. ... Helena left 14 runners on base. ... Cody Hawn and Carlos George each had two hits.

GHOSTS ON THE MOUND: Squire had a grounder to field in the ninth to end the game but sent the ball into center field. It was his 15th error in 37 games. Brandon Sizemore's two-out RBI single tied the game. ... Casper starter Richardo Ferrer last four innings, giving up one run, striking out three and walking five. ... Bruce Kern completed the fifth inning, Kyle Hancock allowed one run over three innings, and Juan Perez followed with two innings. ... Hancock and Perez were each credited with blown saves.

BREWERS ON THE MOUND: George made a nice backhand play on a hard hit by Tanos in the first inning. ... Starter Austin Ross threw seven innings and struck out eight batters. He allowed two runs on six hits. ... Alex Jones picked up the win and Brian Garman the save.

NOTES: Helena maintained its one-game lead in the North Division with the victory. ... Thirty-four of Casper's 60 games have been decided by two runs or less. ... Ghosts opponents have outscored them 6-1 in extra innings this season. ... Tuesday's attendance was 778, the lowest of the season. ... The game lasted 3 hours, 28 minutes and was the second-longest at Lansing Field this season. ... Idaho Falls' Brian Peacock, Jason Mitchell and Alexander Rivers combined to no-hit Missoula in a 3-0 victory on Tuesday. Peacock threw seven innings but still didn't get the win. It was the Pioneer League's 29th no-hitter and the seventh for the Chukars. Their last was a 6-1 win over Casper on Aug. 2, 2007.

NEXT: Game two of the three-game series is at 7:05 Wednesday night (8:05 Central). RHP Alving Mejias (5-4, 6.00 ERA) will start for Casper; Helena counters with RHP Tyler Cravy (5-5, 6.79).

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Odorizzi said he was able to throw all four of his pitches for strikes, which kept the kernels from keying on any one pitch. Eighty of his 118 pitches were strikes, supporting his claim.

That's nice!

We've seen conflicting numbers -- 107 vs. 118 pitches, since Jeff Isom was quoted as saying just under 120, it's probably the latter...

Archived