Brewer Fanatic

What teams do you hate?

Typically I have random thoughts on a Brewer off day and today was no different. My random thought today is "hatred" for opposing teams from other Brewer fans (hatred in quotes because sports hate is not real hate). Now I have a list of hated teams which I will propose to you and the reasons behind the hate, but I am curious to see your reasons for hatred.

Now before I get to my list, let me preface my list. I do not hate the Cubs. I know that may sound sacreligious, but as a California-born Brewer fan who spent his youth rooting for the Brewers and because they were in the AL I was indifferent to the Cubs because they were in the NL. Additionally, I didn't have the disdain for all things Chicago like it seems a majority of Wisconsin-born, my relatives included, Brewers fans do. I get the Chicago hate on a lot of levels but would love the Brewer fan perspective of Chicago hate and more specifically Cub hate. I do not remember there being such White Sox hate when the Brewers were in the AL.

Additionally to the Cub question, I pose another question to you Brewer fans. Why is there no hate for the Twins? With the Packer-Viking and Badger-Gopher rivalry being so intense, i find the lack of hate for the Twins peculiar.

On to my list of hated teams:

1. Cardinals:

It's not even close. The Vikings of MLB. I've never liked them and it may be rooted in the World Series defeat, just like the hate for the Broncos in the NFL, but the arrogance of the team and double standard of baseball "rules" astounds me. Plus for as long as I can remember they have had players that are very easy to dislike (see McGwire, Edmonds, Pujols, Carpenter, Rolen, Molina)

2. Yankees:

For the obvious argument of buying players but more so because I'd guesstimate that 75% of their fans have no real connection to New York or the team itself. I was born into loving the Brewers because of family and it would be just as logical for me to root for the Dodgers or Angels being born in California, but have the connection to the Brewers through my dad's rooting interest. I love the Brewers additionally because of the necessity to develop and bring homegrown players to the Bigs. I would much rather root for a team that develops players like Braun, Weeks or Gallardo than a team that buys Teixeira, CC or Burnett. It brings being a fan to a whole new level.

3. Red Sox:

Because they had the 2nd highest payroll in baseball and their owner whined about the Yankees buying players.

4. Braves:

Even though they left Milwaukee 15 years before I was born, any team that leaves Milwaukee ranks high on the hate list.

5. D-Backs:

OK not really but listening to Daron Sutton makes me cringe when I tune into them on MLB Extra Innings.

1. Chicago Cubs. From their fashionista frat-boy fans to their urine soaked ballpark, I love hating this team. I'm really enjoying watching their chase for 100 losses this season.

2. St. Louis Cardinals. Does this really need explaining? Brandon Phillips summed up my feelings pretty well.

3. Boston Red Sox. Again, this is really just because of their obnoxious bandwagon fans around here. I respect their front-office and what they've done with the club recently.

For me, as you can tell, it mostly comes down to the fans.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

1 A, 1B, and 1C. CUBS. I can't stand the fans, the players, the dump, er, I mean stadium, or anything about this team.

2. Cardinals. They used to be further down my list, but their whole "we play the game the right way' thing, coupled with their fans seemingly being 'better' fans than other teams fans really has pushed them close to the top for me.

3. Yankees. Yes, I'm still going to hate the Yankees for their reckless spending.

Regarding why we don't hate the Twins, I think a big part of it is that they're literally in a different league. How can you really hate a team when you play them, at most, only 6 games out of 162 each season?

As for the teams I hate, Cards and Cubs, for the reasons already stated. I wanted to add the Pirates, seeing as their fans have this weird, irrational hatred of Milwaukee, but frankly, they're not worth it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wanted to add the Pirates, seeing as their fans have this weird, irrational hatred of Milwaukee, but frankly, they're not worth it.

I thought a few minutes about adding the Pirates to my list, but instead of hating them, I can only feel pity, as well as some mild loathing towards them.

I was at a Brewers/Pirates tilt at MP last year, and had a pair of Pirates fans sitting behind me, and they were discussing the state of the franchise, and I swear, listening to how depressed they were about their team, made me just feel really bad for them.

Regarding why we don't hate the Twins, I think a big part of it is that they're literally in a different league. How can you really hate a team when you play them, at most, only 6 games out of 162 each season?

True but they were in the same league for 28 seasons (1970-1997). I guess I would have expected more of a residual hatred from Brewer fans for those almost 3 decades. As much I personally hate the Vikings, I find myself rooting for the Twins. Kind of mentally contradictory for me I guess.

Wouldn't say I hate them, but these teams I will root against versus just about any opponent:

Yankees

Red Sox

Phillies generally but I like a lot about this particular group of guys they've had recently

White Sox (carry over from the AL rivalry days)

Cubs

Cards

Mostly I find myself rooting against fan bases, especially when they start getting chesty. Don't know why it is, because you'd expect these groups to be made up largely of the same people, but Vikings fans drive me nuts while Twins fans don't really bother me at all. Same folks, different sports, whole different attitudes. Weird. YMMV.

1. Cards. Their sense of entitlement knows no bounds.
2. Cards. See above.
3. Yankees
4. Cubs

I know its easy to hate the Cubs, but living in northern Chicago and meeting some actually good and knowledgeable fans has soften my stance quite a bit. There will always be the pink polo popped collar ND grads in aviators chugging $8 312 pints around the stadium, but there is some good around there too.

1) Completely Useless By September - as others have said, it's not just the team but the fans and the stadium that make the trifecta of loathe

2) Cardinals - a more annoying team, but slightly less annoying fans and ballpark; rapidly closing in on the Cubs

3) Yankees - a close 3rd, and #1 in the AL by a wide margin; the poster-child of arrogance

4) Giants - years of kissing the posterior of Bonds

5) Dodgers - kissing Manny Ramirez' posterior after testing positive, and perhaps THE most annoying fans in all of baseball

6) White Sox - the most annoying manager and by far THE most annoying announcer in all of baseball

The Cardinals have been perched atop my list for quite awhile now. I find that when the Cubs are doing well I don't like them, but when they suck, like they do now, I don't care. I live about 30 minutes from the WI/MN border and have a dual market, have many "acquaintances" that are Minnesota fans and I've found that I have a strong dislike for the fan base, but not the Twins. It's hard to hate a guy like Bill Smith who we would take to be the GM of the Brewers in a snap. They do things the right way with their farm system. They have a hometown hero who happens to be pretty good when they knew they were going to take heat for not drafting Prior. Their fans on the other hand? Idiots. Fair weather, "the sky is falling" type people who don't deserve an organization like the Twins in their metro area. Next time something goes wrong in MN, go to pioneerplanet.com and laugh.

Archived