Brewer Fanatic

2010-08-22 Padres (Garland) at Brewers (Parra), 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-3]

With the bullpen having to cover so many innings the past couple days, I can't blame Macha for keeping Parra in through the 6th at all costs. Extremely short starts from Gallardo and Narveson were part of today's problem.

With that said, when you have two outs and the pitcher on deck, there's no excuse for walking a punchless slap hitter like Durango. Parra's total lack of control has been part of what's made this stretch so baffling.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I laughed at Haudricourt's tweet about Parra:

"If definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results, why is Manny Parra still starting?"

As crewcrazy said, Macha I'm sure saw this coming, but his hands were slightly tied. Plus, being out of the race as we are, I'm sure some in the organization may feel there comes a point where the team needs to push Parra's limits to see if he can ever get over that hump to be the starting pitcher many hope he can be.

It makes you wonder how many starts it will take to satiate the fact Parra may be better off as a reliever. His (small sample) career stats show he has been better as a reliever and while it isn't really fair to judge him off of 16 starts this year, his 58 other career major league starts show basically the same things he has shown this year.

I'm sure there are some guys who put up an ERA north of 5.30 with a WHIP of 1.7 in their first 75 or so starts and turned it around to be good pitchers, but as a fan it is frustrating to watch Parra because you can see the talent, but not the consistency to get it done.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

So Parra gets the shaft again. The offense bails out the pitching two days in a row but doesn't come to the aid of Parra. Parra again takes one for the team when it is apparent he should be pulled.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

And Durango comes around to score when you give up a hit to the pitcher and the Devil Hobbit.
Attending games like today's is a solid test of my ability to seek out the positive in a situation. For example, AKA Pete has coined the perfect nickname for the guy I used to call Pluckstein (and, during today's game, something that rhymes but isn't forum friendly). Thanks, Pete! My only regret now is that the Brewers don't face him again this season, barring an unexpected last-minute trade, so I can't deploy this nickname in a real-time situation until 2011.

The weather was also very nice, much less humid than in Madison; and I had enjoyable in-person chats with jflick1215, bensheeps and his son.

As for the on-field results...I admit, I was wondering today who the "long guy" would be if needed. Probably not Cappy, certainly not McNewGuy, and who did that leave? I had a decent idea of what we were going to get with Manny, but Riske, Coffey and by now even Loe are just as capable of blowing up games.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Parra and Gomez should have a fight to the death and then Prince should rip the arms and legs off the survivor!

I remeber a few days ago when someone mentioned Manny having a issue with his head, and someone had no clue what he was refering to. Today should explain that, he is a total head case he doesn't have the mentality to pitch in the bigs. He get two quick outs and instead of going after Durango he ends up walking him. Then it is another typical Manny Parra implosion after that. Flat out sucks.

Yeah, it's his brain that has caused him to walk guys for 3 years in the bigs. And it's his brain that makes his fastball straight and incredibly hittable.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived