Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sun. 8/22 -- Helena Salvages the Day, along with two heart-warming Brevard features

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sunday's Daily Menu:

Times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: RHP Marty McLeary at Iowa (Cubs), 12:50 PM pre-game; 1:05 gametime
Live Audio Link

Huntsville: RHP Wily Peralta at Birmingham (White Sox), 4:50 PM pre-game; 5:05 gametime
Live Audio Link

Brevard County: RHP R.J. Seidel at home vs. Daytona (Cubs), 12:05 PM gametime
Live Audio Link (Cubs' Feed)

Wisconsin: RHP Nick Bucci at Cedar Rapids (Angels), 1:45 PM pre-game; 2:05 gametime
Live Audio Link

Helena: RHP Matt Miller at home vs. Idaho Falls (Royals), 1:50 PM pre-game; 2:05 gametime
Live Audio Link

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at the Reds' complex in Goodyear; 9:00 PM; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: Season complete

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Sunday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Tab or New Window". Choose "Recap". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

Nashville (Gameday also available)

Huntsville (Gameday also available)

Brevard County

Wisconsin

Helena

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale)

Brewer Fanatic Staff

PCL American North
Club W L PCT GB *ELIM # Home Away L 10 Streak
Iowa 73 54 .575 - - 36-29 37-25 6-4 W3
Omaha 71 57 .555 2.5 15 33-27 38-30 7-3 W1
Memphis 70 58 .547 3.5 14 40-25 30-33 6-4 L1
Nashville 66 61 .520 7.0 11 35-30 31-31 5-5 L1

SOU North
* Tennessee 35 20 .636 - - 21-9 14-11 6-4 W1
Huntsville 29 26 .527 6.0 10 17-11 12-15 5-5 W1
Chattanooga 26 28 .481 8.5 8 12-15 14-13 7-3 W5
West Tenn 26 30 .464 9.5 6 13-12 13-18 4-6 W2
Carolina 24 31 .436 11.0 5 11-16 13-15 3-7 L1

FSL North
Tampa 34 19 .642 - - 17-9 17-10 6-4 W1
Daytona 33 22 .600 2.0 14 18-9 15-13 4-6 L1
Brevard County 32 24 .571 3.5 13 16-12 16-12 5-5 W1
Lakeland 27 27 .500 7.5 10 14-11 13-16 6-4 L1
Clearwater 25 31 .446 10.5 6 15-13 10-18 5-5 W2
* Dunedin 23 33 .411 12.5 4 12-16 11-17 4-6 L2

MID Western
Quad Cities 33 19 .635 - - 11-14 22-5 7-3 W1
* Cedar Rapids 30 23 .566 3.5 - 16-12 14-11 5-5 W1
Kane County 29 24 .547 4.5 16 16-10 13-14 3-7 L1
Clinton 28 24 .538 5.0 17 14-12 14-12 5-5 L1
Beloit 27 24 .529 5.5 14 14-11 13-13 6-4 W1
Peoria 25 25 .500 7.0 14 12-13 13-12 5-5 W1
Wisconsin 25 29 .463 9.0 12 15-13 10-16 5-5 L1
Burlington 17 34 .333 15.5 4 11-14 6-20 2-8 L1

PIO North
Helena 10 9 .526 - - 6-5 4-4 6-4 L1
Billings 9 10 .474 1.0 19 4-4 5-6 5-5 W1
* Great Falls 9 11 .450 1.5 18 5-3 4-8 3-7 L1
Missoula 9 11 .450 1.5 18 5-7 4-4 4-6 L2

AZL Central
AZL Brewers 31 18 .633 - - 10-11 12-7 6-4 L2
AZL Dodgers 27 22 .551 4.0 3 10-9 12-7 7-3 W2
AZL Reds 25 24 .510 6.0 1 9-8 11-9 6-4 L2
AZL Indians 20 29 .408 11.0 E 7-13 10-8 1-9 L1

DSL S.D. North
DSL Mariners 43 28 .606 - - 23-13 20-15 7-3 L1
DSL Cardinals 39 32 .549 4.0 E 24-11 15-21 5-5 L2
DSL Athletics 32 39 .451 11.0 E 17-19 15-20 6-4 W2
DSL Brewers 28 43 .394 15.0 E 17-18 11-25 3-7 W1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

VIDEO REMINDERS:

Here's why some of you diehards will want to spend $6.95 and subscribe to MiLB.TV for the next 30 days --

Yes, this current series for Nashville at Iowa is pretty much a must-sweep (oh, well, that's gone), and then there is the series in Oklahoma City starting on the 30th.

(This is another reason why OKC would be an intriguing AAA home for the Brewers, all their home games are available for viewing online.)

But --

Beginning August 27th and running through the 30th, all four Helena Brewer games at Idaho Falls will be available for viewing, as the Chukars (a bird, by the way -- photo) are the only Pioneer League team to televise. You'd be able to watch the games live and/or archived.

So for a very modest sum, many of you might choose to peak in on the Helena kids, and catch a glimpse of some of the more recent signings.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Melbourne couple to remarry at Brevard County game

Couple overcomes fight against cancer, wins wedding at Manatees' game

BY HILLARD GROSSMAN, FLORIDA TODAY

If diamonds are a girl's best friend, as Marilyn Monroe once sang, then a much bigger diamond should thrill Amber Lopez . . . even if it's shaped for baseball.

Amber (formerly Miller) and her husband Paul will be getting married -- well, actually remarried -- Saturday at Space Coast Stadium in Viera, just before the Brevard County Manatees face the Clearwater Threshers in a Florida State League baseball game.

"Our first dance will be on the dugout -- that part might be weird," Paul said.

He and Amber, both 28, will have plenty to laugh about this time around in what has become a made-for-TV type of reality ceremony. It was because, in a large part, of their close friend, Lizzy Farray, who wrote the winning essay in the Manatees' "From Home Plate to Happily Ever After" contest earlier this spring.

Last summer, Paul faced a crisis when he was diagnosed with testicular cancer just four months before the couple's meticulously planned wedding, which was to be followed by a week-long honeymoon cruise to Rome.

Instead, the Melbourne couple decided to rush through a ceremony at Florida Tech with about only 10 people in attendance. They later spent their honeymoon being serenaded by nurses as Paul underwent chemotherapy.

"Our wedding ceremony was so quick. There was no music, no rehearsal, no cake, but I did put my (wedding) dress on," Amber said. "Hardly anyone, especially his family (from Edgerton, Kan.), could make it that fast, and it was on a Friday at 1 p.m., so everyone was working anyway and couldn't make it. We had spent a year planning our wedding, so it was kind of sad."

That date was Aug. 28, a strange coincidence in that this year's baseball wedding also is on that date. And it's also a coincidence that Paul and Amber had met on a softball diamond in Cocoa Beach.

"It's like magical," said Paul's sister, Jamie.

Lizzy just happened to be flipping through bridal magazines getting ready for her upcoming Oct. 30 wedding when she saw the Manatees' contest ad.

"I immediately thought of Amber and Paul, because of so many things they've been through," Lizzy said. "Their story is a true fairytale. Things that you never think people can overcome, and look at them, how strong a couple they are.

"I mean, we had spent hours putting centerpieces together in the evenings, the invitations were already made, the bridesmaids outfits were on hold. . . . for her to sacrifice all of that and for him to live for this day, their story was way better than one I could have come up with for me."

Originally, Lizzy was supposed to be a bridesmaid at Amber's Nov. 7, 2009, wedding at The Tides on Patrick Air Force Base.

"I'm her maid of honor now," Lizzy said. "I got promoted!"

Pain[/b] to surgery

[/b]

Paul had worked in baseball as a groundskeeper in Norwich, Conn., for the Connecticut Defenders, a San Francisco Giants farm team.

He and Amber were engaged on Christmas Eve of 2008. The following July, as he was working on the field one day, he felt a wince of pain in his groin area that would not go away.

"Doctors up there told us not to be worried," Amber said.

Paul was given a painkiller and additional tests.

Three days later, his urologist discovered a mass in his left testicle but, still, there was no reason to be concerned, doctors told them.

"They had ordered an ultrasound, but we even thought about skipping it since they weren't too worried about it," Amber said.

Paul's family, who had come from Kansas to Norwich, had even gone home.

Then, the urologist saw something he didn't like. He called in another doctor and they scheduled a biopsy.

"I figured, if anything, no way was it cancer. Then, the doctor walked out and told me he needed surgery right away," Amber said. "I started bawling. I didn't know what to think. Does he need chemo? I felt so isolated."

Doctors had to remove his left testicle.

Paul remained in Norwich and finished the season for the Defenders, manicuring the field at Dodd Stadium.

"We didn't know whether to postpone the (Nov. 7) wedding or move it up," said Amber, a physical education teacher at Surfside Elementary in Satellite Beach.

"We were trying not to think the worst. . . . I bawled. In the back of my head, there was always that, 'What if?' "

So she began calling local churches to see whether anyone could perform a short-notice wedding, and found the Rev. Douglas Bailey at Florida Tech's Catholic Campus Ministry.

"We talked about it on a Monday, I got down here on Wednesday, and by that Friday we were getting married," Paul said.

That was Aug. 28, 2009, just 12 days before his first chemo treatment.

"Nurses were laughing with us in the infusion center," Amber said. "They asked, 'Why don't you have your honeymoon here?' "

Chemo was tough

[/b]

Paul underwent two months of chemotherapy, five consecutive days at a time, then off for two weeks.

"After the first round, I figured, if this is all there is to it, I should be fine," Paul said. "Then, after the second session, I was sitting here reading the newspaper, and my hair started falling out. I saw Amber crying."

Dr. Lee Scheinbart at MIMA in Melbourne took care of them both, answering questions and consoling them. Nurses would even sing for Paul.

Then, Nov. 7 came around -- the day they had planned to be married. The day those gorgeous centerpieces Amber and Lizzy had designed would have drawn "oohs" and "aahs" from more than 150 invited guests.

"I had chemo that day," Paul said. "I laid in bed without any hair. It was tough, but knowing I was (already) married to her, it really wasn't that hard (to accept)."

Love, it seems, can handle the pain.

"There were many times I'd ask him, 'Should I take the day off?' " Amber said. "He'd say, 'No, go ahead.' He made it easy (for me), even though I knew he was struggling."

'A reality check'

[/b]

Today, Paul is in remission, "medicine-free." It's part of a five-year plan in which doctors believe he will be completely cured.

The cruise line accepted their written cancellation. So did the DJ they had hired. The old invitations are stored in a room, along with the centerpieces.

The transition has been easy. Well, most of it.

"Manny," the Manatees' mascot, came to Surfside Elementary one day to surprise Amber in front of her students.

"I used to wear a T-shirt that read, 'Soon to be Mrs. Lopez, Nov. 7, 2009,' then all of a sudden last August, I was no longer Miss Miller," Amber said. "The kids were confused. Now, suddenly I'm Mrs. Lopez.

"So, when Manny (told them) I was getting married again, the kids were really confused. One little girl came up to me and asked me, 'Are you going to marry the same boy?' I told her, 'Yes, I am.' "

Amber's tears are now of joy.

"Our rings still say Nov. 7," she said, laughing.

Now, they're getting new rings, a new dress, a tux, and even new invitations, courtesy of the Manatees. Fifty friends and family members will be their guests in the owner's skybox on Saturday night (the rest will pay for a game ticket). They even were rewarded with a wedding planner and a professional photographer.

"We're excited," Amber said. "We (had) time to focus and plan the wedding."

"I think everyone in Kansas is excited -- it's a small town," Jamie said.

Saturday, Aug. 28, will be the anniversary of their rushed marriage. But they don't want to look back.

"A lot of people take so many things for granted, especially when they're first married," Paul said. "My decision to come back here for all the tests and the surgery, instead of staying with my family, shows the tremendous love I have for her.

"This was a reality check. We're married; I'm alive. I wouldn't want to go through it again, but it was all worth it. It helps to see what's important. It's kind of weird the way it worked out."

And if it rains Saturday?

"Then, we'll get married in the rain," Amber said.

For this couple, it seems nothing can stand between them and happily ever after.

Paul and Amber Lopez share a tender moment in their Melbourne home. The couple will marry a second time, after rushing their first wedding because of Paul's cancer diagnosis and treatment. He is now in remission. (Photo by Christina Stuart, FLORIDA TODAY)

http://cmsimg.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=A9&Date=20100822&Category=LIFE&ArtNo=8220310&Ref=AR&Profile=1005&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

R.J. Seidel had pitched a scoreless inning before the game was rained out in the bottom of the 1st

Sunday's Manatees/Cubs game postponed

Frank Longobardo/Brevard County Manatees

VIERA, Fla. --- The scheduled game on Sunday, August 22 between the Brevard County Manatees and the Daytona Cubs has been postponed due to inclement weather and poor field conditions.

Since the Manatees will not host the Cubs for the rest of the regular season, the game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Monday at Jackie Robinson Ballpark in Daytona Beach beginning at 5:05 p.m.

Fans with tickets from Sunday afternoon's game can exchange them at the Space Coast Stadium ticket office for any other remaining Manatees regular season home game.

For more information, please visit manateesbaseball.com or call (321) 633-9200.

Final: @Iowa 3, Nashville 2

Sounds lose second straight game to I-Cubs, 3-2

Nashville Sounds

DES MOINES, Iowa - The Nashville Sounds suffered their second consecutive loss to the division-leading Iowa Cubs on Sunday afternoon, falling 3-2 at Principal Park.

With the defeat, the Sounds (66-62) dropped a season-high eight games behind the I-Cubs with only 16 games remaining on their schedule.

Nashville out-hit Iowa in the game, 8-6, but finished just 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base on the afternoon.

After the Sounds left runners in scoring position in each of the first two frames, Iowa took a 1-0 lead in the second on Bryan LaHair's RBI single off Nashville starter Marty McLeary (6-8), who drew the loss despite a quality start effort (6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R).

Nashville pulled in front, 2-1, in the fifth when Adam Stern (3-for-4) led off with a double then scored on Erick Almonte's second home run of the season, a two-run shot to left-center off Iowa starter Jay Jackson.

The I-Cubs responded immediately, however, getting both runs back in the home half of the frame against McLeary. LaHair led off with a double and tied the contest at 2-2 when he scored two batters later on a Matt Camp double. The Cubs pulled back ahead later in the frame when catcher Chris Robinson scored on a bases-loaded, double-play groundout.

The Sounds' best chance to tie the contest again came in the eighth, when they put runners on first and second with one out against Cubs reliever Jeff Gray. However, Norris Hopper bounced into a fielder's choice before the right-hander induced an inning-ending lineout from Ben Johnson to escape the jam unscathed.

Right-hander Jeff Stevens worked around a one-out Stern single in the ninth to work a scoreless frame and notch his fifth save of the year.

Jackson (10-8) picked up the win for Iowa after holding the Sounds to two runs on five hits while striking out six over his five innings of work.

The division rivals continue the series with a 7:05 p.m. meeting on Monday. Left-hander Sam Narron (7-7, 4.32) is scheduled to start for the Sounds. Iowa will counter with right-hander Austin Bibens-Dirkx (5-1, 2.61).

Nashville box score

You can listen to Almonte's homer here. Excellent game--and season--from Stern. Carlos Villanueva and Chris Smith each tossed a scoreless inning of relief. Mat Gamel did not play for the second straight game.

Nashville play-by-play

Final: @Cedar Rapids 10, Wisconsin 2

Kernels crack Rattlers early

Chris Mehring/Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

CEDAR RAPIDS, IA – The Cedar Rapids Kernels were the early birds on Sunday afternoon. Cedar Rapids scored eight runs in the first two innings to build an early lead and cruise to a 10-2 victory over the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers at Perfect Game Field. The Rattlers are just 1-7 in eight games against the Kernels in Cedar Rapids this season.

Wisconsin (25-30 second half) had two runners on with one out in the top of the first inning, but could not score. The Kernels made Wisconsin pay for missing that opportunity.

Jon Karcich led off the bottom of the first inning with a home run off Efrain Nieves. Later in the inning, Casey Haerther doubled in a run for a 2-0 lead. The Kernels had the bases loaded with one out in the inning, but didn’t score again in the first.

But, it was a different story in the second.

Nieves, who was on as Sunday’s starter due to a late scratch of scheduled starter Nick Bucci, retired the first batter. Then, Karcich sent a fly ball to center. But, D’Vontrey Richardson lost the ball in the sun and the ball dropped just in front of him to allow Karcich to motor to second for a double. Matt Long followed with a triple. Jeremy Cruz singled in Long and the Kernels were up 4-0.

Haerther followed with a double to put runners on second and third. A ground rule double by Randal Grichuk knocked in both Cruz and Haerther for a 6-0 lead. That double ended a streak of five straight hits for Cedar Rapids (74-48, 31-23). Grichuk scored from second base when a throw to first was wild after a grounder off the bat of Jose Jimenez. A single by Michael Wing chased Nieves from the game with the Kernels leading 7-0.

Santo Manzanillo relieved and got the second out of the inning with a force out at second that put runners at the corners. Manzanillo threw wildly to first on a pickoff attempt and that allowed Jimenez to score and the Kernels were up 8-0.

Richardson lined a solo homer to left in the third inning to get the Rattlers on the scoreboard. In the fourth, Chris Dennis doubled, took third on a passed ball, and scored on a sacrifice fly by Cameron Garfield.

Game three of the series with the Kernels is Monday evening. Damon Krestalude (2-9, 7.35) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Rattlers. Cedar Rapids sends Tyler Kehrer (5-4, 4.62) to the hill. Game time is 6:35pm. You may tune in for the play-by-play action on AM1280, WNAM starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:15pm.

Wisconsin box score

Richardson also doubled, rebounding from his oh-fer last night to keep his hot streak going. Kentrail Davis and Hunter Morris were 1-4, and Khris Davis was 0-4. Scooter Gennett again did not play. Manzanillo tossed 4.1 innings of scoreless ball to restore some sanity and eat some needed innings after Bucci's late scratch. Jon Pokorny pitched the 8th and gave up two scores, the third straight outing he's allowed 2+ runs.

Wisconsin play-by-play

Final: @Helena 11, Idaho Falls 4

Helena swaps roles with Chukars, takes series

Brett Billings/Helena Brewers

The Helena Brewers erupted for seven runs in the seventh inning to power past the Idaho Falls Chukars 11-4 on Sunday afternoon at Kindrick Legion Field. The win means that the Brewers will remain in first place atop the Pioneer League North as they embark on a seven-game road trip, three at Casper and four at Idaho Falls.

Helena started the game hot, scoring two in the first inning after Idaho Falls plated one run to start the game. Robbie Garvey singled to start the frame and scored on a sacrifice fly by Greg Hopkins. Mike Walker, who was red hot on the series, singled in Cody Hawn who walked earlier in the inning. Walker had seven hits in the series and is has hit safely in 11 of his last 18 at bats.

The Brewers scored a run in innings three and four to go ahead 4-1, but the Chukars answered back with three in the sixth to tie the game.

Helena ended the suspense in the seventh, scoring seven runs on six hits. Walker, who finished with four RBI, plated three with a bases-clearing double. Brent Dean had a two-RBI single three batters later. John Dishon doubled to score Dean. Robbie Garvey followed suit and doubled in Dishon to give the Brewers an 11-4 advantage.

Matt Miller started on the mound. He tossed five innings, allowed four runs, and didn't get a decision.

Ryan Bernal earned the win, his first of his professional career. He tossed innings six and seven without allowing a run.

The Brewers get tomorrow off as they make the eight-hour trek to face Casper for three games. They will return home to face the Billings Mustangs on Tuesday, August 31st to finish the game that was suspended on August 9th and make-up the game that was postponed on August 10th. First pitch will be at 5:30 with Billings leading 3-0 and coming to the plate in the top of the fifth. Game 2 will be a seven-inning game and start thirty minutes after the completion of Game 1. The Brewers are opening the gates at 5:00 and admission will be $2 to sit anywhere.

Helena box score

Hawn, Hopkins, and Walker have all been hot lately. Walker doubled twice as part of his three hits, Hawn clobbered his 12th homer of the year and also singled and walked, and Hopkins added a hit and a walk. Dean and Brandon Sizemore had three hits, and Dishon added a single and HBP to his double. Rafael Neda recorded a single, his first hit with Helena. Miller struggled with his control, walking four while striking out just one; he continues to keep the ball on the ground, though--10/3 GO/AO today. Eric Marzec continued his bullpen dominance, striking out two in a scoreless frame.

Helena play-by-play

Miller ran into a wall in the 6th:

Idaho Falls Top 6th

• Murray Watts singles on a ground ball to center fielder Robert Garvey.
  • Kevin David walks. Murray Watts to 2nd.
  • Travis Jones singles on a fly ball to center fielder Robert Garvey. Murray Watts to 3rd. Kevin David to 2nd.
  • Geulin Beltre walks. Murray Watts scores. Kevin David to 3rd. Travis Jones to 2nd.
  • Pitcher Change: Ryan Bernal replaces Matthew Miller.
  • Malcom
    Culver grounds into double play, shortstop Shea Vucinich to second
    baseman Gregory Hopkins to first baseman Cody Hawn. Kevin David
    scores. Travis Jones to 3rd. Geulin Beltre out at 2nd.
  • Thomas Zebroski doubles (4) on a fly ball to center fielder Robert Garvey. Travis Jones scores.
  • Reggie Taylor grounds out, second baseman Gregory Hopkins to first baseman Cody Hawn.

Final: @Birmingham 5, Huntsville 1

Huntsville box score

Wily Peralta was fine through three innings, holding the Barons scoreless and fanning three, but then got tagged for five runs in the 4th. He walked three, hit a batter, and threw only 44 of his 77 pitches for strikes, so he was obviously struggling with his control. Mike Fiers and Lucas Luetge each pitched two scoreless innings of relief. The Stars had only three hits, one each by Lee Haydel, Zelous Wheeler, and Anderson de la Rosa. Brett Lawrie drew a walk. Caleb Gindl was 0-2 before leaving the game early (Is he dinged up? In the doghouse? What's the deal?) and Taylor Green was 0-4.

Huntsville play-by-play

Peralta's end:

Birmingham Bottom 4th

• Jim Gallagher walks.
  • Christian Marrero singles on a ground ball to right fielder Drew T. Anderson. Jim Gallagher to 2nd.
  • Josh
    Phegley grounds out, shortstop Zelous Wheeler to first baseman Chris
    Nowak. Jim Gallagher to 3rd. Christian Marrero to 2nd.
  • Salvador Sanchez singles on a line drive to left fielder Lee Haydel. Jim Gallagher scores. Christian Marrero to 3rd.
  • C. J. Retherford hit by pitch. Salvador Sanchez to 2nd.
  • Dale
    Mollenhauer triples (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Caleb Gindl.
    Christian Marrero scores. Salvador Sanchez scores. J. Retherford
    scores.
  • Coaching visit to mound.
  • Justin Greene walks.
  • Tyler Kuhn out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Caleb Gindl. Dale Mollenhauer scores.
  • Eduardo Escobar flies out to center fielder Caleb Gindl.

Huntsville loaded the bases with no outs in the 7th but could only score one run:

Huntsville Top 7th

• Brett Lawrie walks.
  • Zelous Wheeler singles on a line drive to left fielder Jim Gallagher. Brett Lawrie to 2nd.
  • Coaching visit to mound.
  • Drew T. Anderson walks. Brett Lawrie to 3rd. Zelous Wheeler to 2nd.
  • Pitcher Change: Deunte Heath replaces Johnnie Lowe.
  • Chris Nowak strikes out swinging.
  • Taylor
    Green grounds out, second baseman Tyler Kuhn to first baseman Christian
    Marrero. Brett Lawrie scores. Zelous Wheeler to 3rd. Drew T.
    Anderson to 2nd.
  • Anderson Machado pops out to shortstop Eduardo Escobar.

Nowak struck out all four times up.

Nick Shaw's Milb profile says he bats right and throws left....since that can't be, is it actually reversed, or right for both?
It is switch around he bats left and throws right.

LouisEly

It is not that people don't bat right and throw left, they're players that do. I believe that Cody Ross does ,but it is the position that Shaw plays. To play Second base you have to throw right handed. Same with catcher, shortstop, and thirdbase it would be a disadvantage to be left handed at those positions. Plus since there are more right handed pitchers then left most batters would want to take advantage of their ability to hit left if they can.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: @Arizona Reds 6, Arizona Brewers 5, ten innings

Arizona Box Score

The A-Crew retains its three-game lead with six to play despite losing its third staright game, something done only once before all season; the 6'8" RHP and native of New York State, Greg Holle, the Brewers' 11th round pick out of TCU, has been effective in each of his six outings this year, although this was his first stint in ten days -- Holle allowed one run (unearned) in the middle four innings; the game was tied at 4-4 after four innings as Holle inherited a bases loaded, no out situation from RH starter R. J. Johnson when Johnson issued all three of his walks to start the 4th -- runs would score on a sac fly and grounder; effective RH closer Seth Harvey took the loss when a leadoff double spelled trouble in his 3rd inning of work...

The Brewers opened the game with a walk and three singles to plate two runs, and should have scored more, something they'd rue later on; a Nick Shaw RBI double and Yadier Rivera sac fly scored single runs in the 2nd and 3rd, respectively; Shaw doubled in a game-tieing run in the 9th to send the game to extras; for the game, Shaw was on base four more times to lift his OBP to .462 while slugging .493 -- not a small sample either, 150 AB's; 20-year-old CF Kenny Allison reached three times, as did T.J. Mittelstaedt, who played RF in this one...

Arizona Game Log

After Shaw's big double in the 9th, the boys couldn't grab the lead despite a nice opportunity --

AZL Brewers Top 9th

• Kyle Dhanani called out on strikes.
  • John Bivens singles on a ground ball to center fielder Kurtis Muller.
  • Kevin Berard singles on a ground ball to shortstop Junior Arias. John Bivens to 2nd.
  • Nick Shaw doubles (13) on a line drive to right fielder Juan Silva. John Bivens scores. Kevin Berard to 3rd.
  • Kenneth Allison reaches on a fielder's choice out, third baseman David Vidal to catcher Yasmani Grandal. Kevin Berard out at home. Nick Shaw to 3rd.
  • Jason Rogers grounds out, third baseman David Vidal to first baseman Jaren Matthews.

The "losing" rally --

AZL Reds Bottom 10th

• Yasmani Grandal doubles (1) on a line drive to left fielder John Bivens.
  • Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Jeff Taylor replaces Yasmani Grandal.
  • Junior Arias out on a sacrifice bunt, first baseman Jason Rogers to second baseman Nick Shaw. Jeff Taylor to 3rd.
  • Seth Harvey intentionally walks Kurtis Muller.
  • Adam Muenster reaches on a fielder's choice, fielded by first baseman Jason Rogers. Jeff Taylor scores. Kurtis Muller to 2nd.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Is Gamel hurt? Why would he sit for 2 games in a row?
Whether it's a lack of media coverage, especially on road games, or the fact that we can't listen to each call by the play-by-play guys, we're always going to be facing a void in information regarding players missing time. Hence the frustration with Mat Gamel or Scooter Gennett updates here. For all we know, either Stu or Chris have mentioned something on-air. Players have sometimes missed time for items such as bereavement leave without a formal placement on the inactive list.

The minor league front offices have to be careful with what they release regarding player injuries, out of federal privacy concerns. Somehow they are often able to be forthright when a player is injured in an obvious way in game action. But the nagging injuries that preclude formal DL placements are often trickier for them, and they must respect the wishes of the big league club regarding this information as well.

My personal view is that players on the 40-man roster, such as Gamel, should have their information made available to some extent.

Gord Ash really needs to provide an update on RHP Alex Periard, for instance -- he's on the 40-man roster, has only one option left, and seemingly could never be ready for Milwaukee-only action in 2012, so his inclusion on the 40-man at this time is unnecessary, outside of the fact he could be claimed by another club. Of course, that organization would face the same need to expose him to waivers eventually as well.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Seven-run seventh lifts Brewers

By MARK VINSON, Helena Independent Record

This time, the Helena Brewers looked the part of a first-place team.

Less than 24 hours after suffering a 16-2 defeat, Helena pounded out 17 hits and used a seven-run seventh inning to snap a 4-all tie and defeat the Idaho Falls Chukars 11-4 on Sunday in a Pioneer League game before 541 at Kindrick Legion Field.

“Today was a huge win for us, after losing last night,” said Helena catcher Brent Dean, who had a season-high three hits.

For all their inconsistency this summer, the Brewers have been remarkably resilient, going 6-2 in games after surrendering 10 runs or more in a loss the previous day.

Helena (11-9 second half, 30-28 overall) managed to go 5-4 on its longest homestand of the season and departs today for a crucial seven-game road trip to Casper, Wyo., and Idaho Falls while holding a slim lead over Billings, Great Falls and Missoula in the Pioneer League North division. The Brewers have 11 road games and seven home games remaining in the regular season.

Idaho Falls (5-17, 21-39), meanwhile, returns home to open a seven-game homestand.

Helena’s big inning started innocently enough when Idaho Falls left fielder Reggie Taylor dropped Shea Vucinich’s sinking line drive, allowing the Helena shortstop to reach base. Cody Hawn’s third hit of the day and a walk to Greg Hopkins loaded the sacks for Mike Walker, whose .310 average with runners in scoring position is nearly 40 points higher than his overall mark (.272).

Walker ripped a first-pitch slider from Jordan Roualdes (1-1) to the base of the rightfield fence to score three.

“I was sitting slider and he left it a little up,” said Walker, who went 3 for 5 on the day and drove in four runs.

Hits by Brandon Sizemore, Dean, John Dishon and Robbie Garvey followed, adding to the eventual outpouring by the home team.

“At any time, this offense can put together a seven-run inning,” said Brewers manager Joe Ayrault.

Sizemore (3 for 5), Dean (3 for 5), Dishon (2 for 4) and Hawn (2 for 4) each had multi-hit games, with Dean collecting his 12th home run of the season to give Helena a 3-1 lead in the third inning. Every Brewer in the lineup except Vucinich had a hit.

Walker, who also had an RBI single in the first inning, entered the contest hitting .342 in his last 10 games to raise his season average by more than 30 points.

“Baseball’s a streaky game and that’s how it goes,” he said. “I really haven’t changed much of anything.”

Helena pitcher Matt Miller failed to get a decision for the third straight outing, but looked markedly better than he did last Tuesday. On Sunday, Miller took a 4-1 lead into the sixth inning before Idaho Falls loaded the bases on two singles and a walk.

Miller left after throwing 90 pitches and all of those runners eventually scored, knotting the contest at 4 after six innings.

“He got behind in the count to a couple of guys and they got a couple of soft hits,” Dean explained.

Ryan Bernal relieved Miller and immediately got a double play to limit the damage. Bernal (1-2) earned the win, allowing just one hit in two innings.

DIAMOND NOTES: Attendance continues to be an issue for the Brewers. The team entered Sunday with the smallest average home attendance in the Pioneer League (945) and the crowd of 541 was the 10th time in 31 home games the team has drawn less than 800. … Rafael Nada collected his first Pioneer League hit, a single in the eighth inning. Nada was selected by Milwaukee in the 10th round of this year’s amateur draft, signed late and was called up from Arizona on Saturday. … Righthander Austin Ross is slated to start Tuesday’s game in Casper, with Tyler Thornburg and Tyler Cravy the starters for the remainder of the series.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brevard Manatees, disabled kids share 'awesome experience'

Fifteen students throw out first pitches at baseball game in Viera

Lee Nessel, Florida Today

Brevard County Manatees players R.J. Seidel and Mike Ramlow sat in front of a group of kids and parents on Friday night, as players from this team often do.

It's part of the Manatees' long-standing goodwill relationship with the community, embracing different groups and creating opportunities for fans to get close to the team.

It also happened to be Bark in the Park night, where fans could bring their dogs to the berm area.

But in a private room under the stadium, a different type of outreach was happening.

Seidel, who is 6-foot-5, and Ramlow, 6-6, were giants in more than one way to this group. Seidel mentioned injuries and overcoming surgery.

That's when one of the group's leaders, Paige Studer, asked the kids, "How many of us have had surgeries?" and several hands went up.

The No Limits Academy in Melbourne is a not-for-profit school for physically disabled children, many with cerebral palsy, some with autism. Most in wheelchairs.

They were there to meet professional baseball players and then throw out the first pitch before the game. Make that 15 consecutive first pitches, as each student was wheeled or walked in front of the catcher to have their moment.

Back in the meeting room, Seidel was in the midst of offering some sage advice to curious kids and talked about needing a short-term memory because, "If you get down on yourself, you won't perform at a high level."

And that's when Studer -- also a parent to 18-year-old Emma, who has autism -- pointed out the connection.

"We can relate to that, and you can relate to (us)," she said to the players, then turned to face the group. "That's the beauty of baseball. . . . For a moment in time, we're all the same."

The kids have varying degrees of disabilities, but they are taught that they can do anything. Throwing out a pitch at a professional baseball game -- raise hands in the audience if you've done it -- is just one of them.

"I love it," Ramlow said about interacting with the group. "I remember when I was a kid looking up to people like this."

Some kids cannot communicate. Some are outgoing and witty. Matthew Joslin, 13, was ready to give the Manatees a run for their money.

"I bet $2,000 I can strike one of you guys out," he said, evoking laughter from the room.

He later hammed it up for our video camera prior to his pitch: "I practiced for two days straight," he said, referring to work with his occupational and physical therapists at school.

"It's an awesome experience for these kids because it's something that disabled kids would rarely get to do," said Scott Fee, who was there with his son, Michael. "They get so much out of it."

Dyani Peterson, 11, who controls her wheelchair with her chin and does not have the use of her arms, entered the stadium with her baseball glove tucked onto her lap.

"It's awesome. I like throwing out pitches to baseball players," she said seconds before crossing the baseline onto the field alongside her mom.

Ariana Alban, technically, had the first pitch, leading off the alphabetical roster. But each of her 14 classmates also had their own first pitch, too.

There were some strong lefties in the group, and some were assisted by their parents, such as Emma Studer, whose father John walked and talked her through the pitch.

"My husband always dreamed of doing some things that maybe he didn't have a chance to do with Emma and (the Manatees) let him do that," Paige Studer said.

Roberta Neves co-founded the academy to create an environment where kids such as Emma and Matthew and Dyani could learn and recognize potential.

"This just shows them it's one more thing they can actually do," she said.

"It was really interesting to see what they do there; they are very forward thinking with what they do with the kids there," Manatees general manager Kyle Smith said about having toured No Limits Academy.

"There was one little boy, he just beamed about how much fun he'd had at the ballpark, a day he'll never forget, and for me it really opened my eyes to what kind of impact we can have on the kids in the area."

And so, the kids and their entourage moved from the mound down the first-base line and back past the bullpen into a stadium back hallway. Fans and players watched, and paused, allowing the kids to soak in the experience.

For a few moments, it was a level playing field.

All photos by Christina Stuart, Florida Today

Manatees player Peter Fatse returns the ball to No Limits Academy student Tori Fiske, 9, after she threw the first pitch to at the Manatees game at Space Coast Stadium in Viera Friday.

http://cmsimg.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=A9&Date=20100823&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=8230801&Ref=PH&Item=1&Maxw=542&Maxh=352&q=60

No Limits Academy students Henry Tamayo, 14, left, and Amanda Markowski, 10, listen to Manatees pitchers Mike Ramblow, center left, and R.J. Seidel, before their game at Space Coast Stadium.

http://cmsimg.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=A9&Date=20100823&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=8230801&Ref=PH&Item=8&Maxw=542&Maxh=352&q=60

Manatees baseball pitchers Mike Ramblow, left, and R.J. Seidel speak to No Limits Academy students before their game at Space Coast Stadium.

http://cmsimg.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=A9&Date=20100823&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=8230801&Ref=PH&Item=9&Maxw=542&Maxh=352&q=60

Full photo gallery

Video report as well

Archived