Brewer Fanatic

September rotation changes afoot; Latest -- Capuano replaces Parra in the rotation (reply #52)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I don't mind somebody else getting a chance in September except then we have to go through the whole "that guy pitched great in September for us" that follows. We saw it last offseason with Narveson. We need to temper our expectations based off of September numbers.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I guess I don't mind somebody else getting a chance in September except then we have to go through the whole "that buy pitched great in September for us" that follows. We saw it last offseason with Narveson. We need to temper our expectations based off of September numbers.
I agree with this. That's why I'd like to see a younger prospect like Rogers or Rivas get the nod over someone like Butler.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I was about as big a Parra supporter as any going into the season, and then again when he was put into the rotation for the last time, but looking at the last few starts and his whole career in totality, I too am beginning to feel like it might be the end of the line for his time in the Milwaukee rotation. I certainly don't want to get rid of him, though - I think he could be a good reliever.

As for Narvseon, I watch him pitch and it feels kind of like watching Dave Bush pitch. He'll be cruising along and all the sudden give up a bunch of runs. (Or in Narveson's case, give up a bunch of runs and then cruise along). IMO, he's pitched better than his ERA and certainly does not deserve to be (and will not be) released before the end of the season, nor should he be released in the offseason. If the Brewers are able to improve their defense going in to next season, and if Narveson starts throwing more offspeed stuff, I could see him being closer to his present xFIP of 4.50, or less. If someone comes along and wants him for a decent return though, sure, he can go.

The fact that the org. wants to monitor Narveson's innings has me very concerned that they view him as a big part of the near future rotation. Narveson should be in the bullpen where he belongs, as an effective LOOGY & long reliever when necessary.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't see any minor leaguers on the 40 that deserve to start in September that have a lot of innings left to pitch. Rivas maybe, but if he pitches in the playoffs, probably not. Rogers rarely goes 5. Capuano has pitched well and they do have to know whether to let him go or see if he'll sign cheaply out of loyalty...or because he wants to stay in MIL.

I'm more fine with Capuano being released than giving him any shot at being a starter for the Brewers right now. I would rather see Parra, Narveson, Rivas, Butler, Rogers, etc. get a shot or stay in the rotation before Capuano is even mentioned as a possibility as being a starter. There is no need to "see what" Capuano can do because there is no future with Capuano in a Brewers uniform as a starter. I don't see Capuano being anything but a long reliever and that is it.
I don't think its at all outrageous to think he could start next year. If he gets a few starts in September, does well, and dominates in ST next year, its very possible he could wind up in the rotation. And if he's doing a good job, why not?

I don't see any minor leaguers on the 40 that deserve to start in September that have a lot of innings left to pitch. Rivas maybe, but if he pitches in the playoffs, probably not.
Huntsville is not going to the playoffs and they're not even really in a playoff race, so he won't be pitching beyond the first week of September.

The fact that the org. wants to monitor Narveson's innings has me very concerned that they view him as a big part of the near future rotation. Narveson should be in the bullpen where he belongs, as an effective LOOGY & long reliever when necessary.
I think the whole thing about monitoring Narveson's innings is being way over-interpreted. There was no assertion that they were limiting Narveson's innings. I'm guessing it was just a "daily notes" sort of thing one day when the Media Relations Dept. noted that Narveson's approaching his IP total from last year, and combined that observation with one noting the Brewers' organizational 20% increase factor.

Plus, if Narveson keeps pitching so poorly, he'd hardly reach his 20% innings increase anyway.

I don't think its at all outrageous to think he could start next year. If he gets a few starts in September, does well, and dominates in ST next year, its very possible he could wind up in the rotation. And if he's doing a good job, why not?
Because a twice surgically repaired elbow can't throw 200 innings.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Because a twice surgically repaired elbow can't throw 200 innings.
Who can for the Brewers? In the last 4 years, this year included, we've had one guy do so.

With guys like Rivas, Rogers, Jeffress(hopefully), Peralta, among others, we've got quite a few guys who won't be allowed to hit 200 innings for a couple years at least.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't see any minor leaguers on the 40 that deserve to start in September that have a lot of innings left to pitch. Rivas maybe, but if he pitches in the playoffs, probably not. Rogers rarely goes 5. Capuano has pitched well and they do have to know whether to let him go or see if he'll sign cheaply out of loyalty...or because he wants to stay in MIL.
Josh Butler. He missed a good part of the beginning of the season with an injury.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't see any minor leaguers on the 40 that deserve to start in September that have a lot of innings left to pitch.
Josh Butler. He missed a good part of the beginning of the season with an injury.
What about these Narveson-esque numbers shows he remotely deserves a chance?

high A: 10.80 ERA, 3 G (all starts), 6.2 IP, 11 H, 8 ER, 5 BB, 3K

AA: 4.56 ERA, 10 G (all starts), 53.1 IP, 56 H, 27 ER, 26 BB, 36 K

AAA: 6.08 ERA, 5 G (all starts), 26.2 IP, 34 H, 18 ER, 12 BB, 18 K

totals: 5.50 ERA, 18 G, 86.2 IP, 101 H, 53 ER, 43 BB, 57 K

This is the sort of production we're trying to see removed from the MLB rotation -- except these are MiLB numbers!!! Just terrible.

Out of all pitchers in the NL with at least 80 IP on the year Parra comes in last for runs saved with his fastball at -1.91/100

Last year out of all pitchers in the NL with at least 120 IP on the year Parra came in last for runs saved with his fastball at -1.76/100 (Suppan was 2nd to last at -1.7)

In 2008 out of all the pitchers in the NL with at least 120 IP on the year Parra came in 3rd to last in runs saved with his fastball at -1.55/100.

A pitcher can get by with a bad fastball if he has really good secondary stuff but Parra hasn't been consistent with his secondary pitchers the last 2 years. Last year his slider was a good pitch and his splitfinger was decent, this year only his SF has been above average. Parra should probably be moved into the bullpen, he just does not have a major league quality fastball and his secondary stuff is not good enough to get through a lineup 3 times without one.

Narveson and Parra have both had pretty disappointing seasons, and at this point I'm not comfortable writing either of them into the team's plans for next season as starters, although perhaps Narveson could fill the 5th spot. At this point, I'd like to see Parra sent to the pen. As badly as I have hoped for him to succeed as a starter, I just don't see it happening with the Brewers at this point. Perhaps there is a team that would be willing to take him for a low-level chip in the offseason, but I'd rather see him come out of the pen next year.

There really isn't anyone in AAA right now who I would consider giving a start to, perhaps with the exception of Narron simply because he's been toiling in the minors for so long. Perhaps Rivas is a decent candidate. I also wouldn't mind Capuano getting a couple more starts, although I really doubt his ability to hold up over an entire season as a starter.

I've been a proponent of giving Parra starts all season to see what we have in him. Unfortunately, what we've seen hasn't been good. I hope Melvin explores the possibilty of trading Parra in the offseason. I don't expect much, but some team may take a flier on him due to his upside (a la Jorge de la Rosa). For 2011, we won't need three lefties in the bullpen, and I'd rather our good, young relievers get innings. I don't want to see what we did this year (hoarding bad SP in the bullpen) happen again next year.

If Narveson is used correctly, I think he could be an effective reliever, as he has been good at getting lefties out. He could make a good LOOGY, allowing Braddock to be a LH setup man, as he can get anyone out. Plus, he could be used as a long man when needed, so we wouldn't feel the need to carry a 13-man rotation just so Capuano can get three outings/month.

As far as next year, I expect Fielder to bring an arm in trade to go along with Yo & Wolf in the rotation. The other two spots are really up in the air, and I think there's a good chance we'll have to go the FA route to fill at least one of these spots (I'm still hoping for Javier Vazquez). Then I hope one of the guys in the minors steps up and grabs hold of the 5th spot. A rotation of Yo, Vazquez, Wolf, {Player from Fielder trade}, Narveson/Rogers/Rivas/Jeffress wouldn't be great, but it would be an improvement over this year and a decent bridge until our higher-upside young arms are ready.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

For a September starter, didn't we sign Jeff Bennett a little bit ago? Also, what about Chase Wright? Chris Cody would be nice, too. Somebody earlier suggested Sam Narron. I wouldn't mind seeing him, too.

I'd also like to see Rivas, obviously. I just decided to list some candidates that no one else had.

Rivas could start 2 more times and be about 10 innings ahead of last year's total. He and Capuano are most likely to pick up starts in Sept.

Rogers is already 50 ahead. He seems like an illogical choice to start...not to mention he rarely goes over 5 IP.

For a September starter, didn't we sign Jeff Bennett a little bit ago? Also, what about Chase Wright? Chris Cody would be nice, too. Somebody earlier suggested Sam Narron. I wouldn't mind seeing him, too.

I'd also like to see Rivas, obviously. I just decided to list some candidates that no one else had.

All of these would be poor choices based on what was said before about Narveson being given a chance this year because of good September performance. These aren't guys I wanna see in the rotation next year. One of the young guys should get the opportunity like Rivas as you said.

On Brewers 360 this morning, Macha made it sound like Capuano would be getting some starts. Reading between the lines, it sounded like he was hinting that Cappy may replace Manny in the rotation.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

On Brewers 360 this morning, Macha made it sound like Capuano would be getting some starts. Reading between the lines, it sounded like he was hinting that Cappy may replace Manny in the rotation.
Good, that's a great move in my opinion. We have to see if he still has the ability to be a consistent starter before this season's over. He won't be any worse than Parra, and if he sucks then we just let him walk in the offseason. If he's good then he could be an option in the rotation next year. I'd rather see him in there than Narveson or Parra personally.

At this point, I'm kind of looking forward to see if Parra can make a go of it in the bullpen. He's shown that he can't get through 6. But, he has good enough stuff, that maybe coming in for an inning (and being an emergency starter) is a role that he can succeed in. Generally, the bullpen is the destination for failed starters, and there's certainly enough that made a living there that a one month audition for Parra might be instructive.

Robert

Archived