Brewer Fanatic

September rotation changes afoot; Latest -- Capuano replaces Parra in the rotation (reply #52)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BSC, there's something unclear about your 2nd sentence....

BCI2004, while I'm also anxious to see more prospects get some big-league duty, 2 things stood out to me:

1. At this point, the Brewers are only monitoring his innings, not limiting them.

2. After noting the Brewers' 20% increase thing, the last thing McCalvy wrote was that the Brewers may feel less of a need to be cautious w/ Narveson's innings because he's pitched for 11 professional seasons.

I don't take #2 to mean they'll be careless with him. But I do take it to mean that they're likely to be less concerned about such a veteran arm.

People get excited about Capuano because he's someone else, but other than five innings against PIT he hasn't gone more than 3.2 innings all year. I'm sure Parra would look really good if we just looked at his first 3-4 innings in each appearance. And if Capuano had to face a lineup for the 3rd time in a game I don't think he would look any better.

I'd love to give Capuano some innings in September in a piggy-back fashion. We need to see if he's in our plans as a 4th/5th starter. I assume Dave Bush will move on, but you'd hate to give Cappy away while he's still rebuilding his arm and getting outs cheaply

I think I mentioned this on the "what does the team have to do to have a successful season" thread, but I'd love to see the team get creative and give every starter a piggy-back candidate. There are easily 10 starters to do this with:

Gallardo

Parra

Wolf

Narveson

Bush

Capuano

Rivas

Butler

Rogers

Jeffress

I left Scarpetta off just because he's in A+ ball currently, and seeing big-league time, despite the fact that he's on the 40-man, seems a little rushed. It may be a little difficult to get it into some of the veteran's heads to go along with this, since the young guys are the ones that are going to be competing for the other guy's jobs in the coming years. If you take it from a mentoring point of view and trying to do what's best for everyone's future, including keeping pitch counts down on arms like Gallardo's and Narveson's (and even Parra's for that matter), it would be hard for anyone to argue against it. Plus, in theory it would take some pressure off of the bullpen as well.

And you could pair them so no one's feelings are hurt, such as Wolf with Capuano, as Wolf I'm guessing would be less distressed if there was a fellow vet (not to mention a classy guy) following him in a game that a young gun.

I'd love to give Capuano some innings in September in a piggy-back fashion. We need to see if he's in our plans as a 4th/5th starter. I assume Dave Bush will move on, but you'd hate to give Cappy away while he's still rebuilding his arm and getting outs cheaply
Exactly, we need to see what he can do. That's all I'm saying about Cappy. We need to give him innings to see if he's an option for next year.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'm fine with Capuano getting innings now btw, I was referring to the insinuation that Narveson should have been sat to make room for Capuano earlier in the year. Capuano is unlikely to ever pitch a full season in the majors again as a starter, the odds are really against him.

An easy way to limit Narveson's innings would be to release him. He was given an oppurtunity, and clearly failed. He's not young, he'll be 29 before next season. He's not in next year plans. Its time to explore other options.

Mark Rogers was just put on the DL on August 9th. Is it smart to bring him up for a Sept call up since has been so poor this year.

Mark has had a fine season, and was only on the DL with a blister.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

His best position is as a team's 6th/7th SP, which means he's a long man or in AAA. He has no options, so if the Crew keeps him, it'll have to be in the 'pen.

He might well put together a nice career, and a couple 12 win seasons. Some say LH's develop late, and he might be a late bloomer. He's had some very good games, albeit through 6 frames. He'd be a guy I'd chase if I were the Pirates or Orioles, decent enough to get by for now, but as of yet, has not hit his full potential. Some guys never do.

And Parra continues to use the leverage of the pictures he has of the Brewers organization. If you consider Narverson a failure, what do you consider Parra. And no, just because he is still young doesnt count. He has 3-4 years now and still has shown no progression and I would say that he has actually regressed. If I needed a win, I would pick Narverson 10 times out of 10 over Parra and its not even close.

I'm more fine with Capuano being released than giving him any shot at being a starter for the Brewers right now. I would rather see Parra, Narveson, Rivas, Butler, Rogers, etc. get a shot or stay in the rotation before Capuano is even mentioned as a possibility as being a starter. There is no need to "see what" Capuano can do because there is no future with Capuano in a Brewers uniform as a starter. I don't see Capuano being anything but a long reliever and that is it.

Capuano has a major league track record that merits at least something if not a good bit more of a leash than Narveson or Parra deserve based on their performance thus far. Bush, Parra, & Narveson have ALL performed at a level that makes you wonder if they belong in a Brewers uniform next year. Capuano certainly deserves no less than those 3.

Nate82, Rivas, Rogers, & Butler have had decent success this year (in decreasing order, respectively), but they haven't exactly pitched in way that shows any of them deserve to be handed a spot in the Brewers' rotation right now.

After today, what I'm realizing I want to see badly is Capuano take over Parra's spot in the rotation. Over his last 10 starts, Parra's ERA is nearly 7.50. His record is 1-5 over those 10 starts, & the team's record is 2-8. Enough is enough. As the season progresses, Parra gets progressively worse. At this point, I don't think there's any harm in putting Capuano in for at least 3-4 turns through the rotation.

Narveson? At this point it's not like he's a cherished prospect whose initial MLB innings need careful monitoring. He's an 11-year pro with a pretty durable arm. Keep pitching him unless his performance merits relegating him to the bullpen (which time may be coming close if he keeps pitching like crap).

Boy, what I'd do to be a fly on the wall in the season-ending meetings w/ the coaches & front office when they're discussing Parra.

Capuano has a major league track record that merits at least something if not a good bit more of a leash than Narveson or Parra deserve based on their performance thus far. Bush, Parra, & Narveson have ALL performed at a level that makes you wonder if they belong in a Brewers uniform next year. Capuano certainly deserves no less than those 3.

Nate82, Rivas, Butler, & Rogers have had decent success this year (well, Butler, not so much so), but they haven't exactly pitched in way that shows any of them deserve to be in the Brewers' rotation right now.

After today, what I'm realizing I want to see badly is Capuano take over Parra's spot in the rotation. Over his last 10 starts, Parra's ERA is nearly 7.50. As the season progresses, Parra seems to get progressively worse. At this point, I don't think there's any harm in putting Capuano in for at least 3-4 turns through the rotation.

There is no need to replace Parra with Capuano. There is nothing to look at with Capuano. If anyone will be replacing Parra in the rotation it should go in order of Rivas, Butler, and then Rogers. Capuano should really just be released he doesn't really add anything to the team and he isn't young and has already gone through two Tommy John surgeries so I don't really see why Capuano should get a shot at the rotation. If the Brewers were contending right now sure give Capuano a shot but since the Brewers are not I would rather see someone who is going to be here long term a shot than Capuano.

I'd say that Capuano's success right now and his limitation on future innings makes him a good candidate to start the season as a 5th starter to be replaced by Rivas or some other minor league pitcher during the season. It's a good solution. It let's the Brewers keep a player in the minor leagues long enough to keep them for a 7th partial season, or prevents them from accumulating enough time to be a Super 2, while taking advantage of Cap's ability. If Cap declines because of fatigue, bring up the prospect to replace him.

Of course, things rarely go as planned, so if the Brewers suffer an injury to other starters that are replaced by prospects and then Cap reaches his limit, the Brewers aren't in a good situation. But then he can be replaced by Narveson or Parra, assuming that one, or both, of them would be long men at that time.

Nate82, Rivas, Butler, & Rogers have had decent success this year (well, Butler, not so much so), but they haven't exactly pitched in way that shows any of them deserve to be in the Brewers' rotation right now.

After today, what I'm realizing I want to see badly is Capuano take over Parra's spot in the rotation. Over his last 10 starts, Parra's ERA is nearly 7.50. As the season progresses, Parra seems to get progressively worse. At this point, I don't think there's any harm in putting Capuano in for at least 3-4 turns through the rotation.

There is no need to replace Parra with Capuano. There is nothing to look at with Capuano. If anyone will be replacing Parra in the rotation it should go in order of Rivas, Butler, and then Rogers. Capuano should really just be released he doesn't really add anything to the team and he isn't young and has already gone through two Tommy John surgeries so I don't really see why Capuano should get a shot at the rotation. If the Brewers were contending right now sure give Capuano a shot but since the Brewers are not I would rather see someone who is going to be here long term a shot than Capuano.
I respectfully disagree. The majority of your posts seem to advocate promising current Brewers minor leaguers over people presently on the roster. And while it has again proven a successful approach many times this year (Axford, Braddock, now McClendon, for instance), that's not always the best way to go (Eveland and several others just a couple years ago, very notably). It seems the main reason you don't want Capuano is that he's not a

prospect. That seems like a narrow minded way to look at his situation. Butler, for one, has done little to deserve a big league callup this year, let alone a rotation spot! And Rogers has good numbers but major league hitters would make him pay a whole lot more for all those walks than AA hitters do.

Capuano adds significant big league experience, is a legitimate former

All-Star, and is pitching half decently right now. If the guy can get major

league hitters out consistently, he needs to be on the team & in the

rotation. My main point is that Parra needs to be pulled from the rotation NOW. Parra starting is pretty much an instant loss with the Brewers' offense needing to dig out of a major hole to have much of any chance unless they're scoring in double digits. Capuano deserves a chance to do better than Parra's been doing. And if he proves to be decent, then that's a good upgrade at a very worthwhile price.

Either way, we're both conjecturing. If Capuano can be an asset, we'd be foolish to toss him aside without giving him a legit chance to show it. I want to see him given enough chances to show if he still has it -- or can regain it -- or not. If not, then sayonara to him with no regrets.

If I needed a win, I would pick Narverson 10 times out of 10 over Parra and its not even close.

Its not close based on what? Parra has a 5.65 ERA, Narveson 5.69. I'd say thats close. If you just needed 1 win, go with Parra, and pull him after 5.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If I needed a win, I would pick Narverson 10 times out of 10 over Parra and its not even close.

Its not close based on what? Parra has a 5.65 ERA, Narveson 5.69. I'd say thats close. If you just needed 1 win, go with Parra, and pull him after 5.

Based on watching the two pitch the whole year. Sometimes watching a guy gives you a better understanding then his stats.

I wouldn't be all that shocked if Sam Narron got a call-up at some point before the end of the season. Feels like he's been in the organization forever and up until recently he's had a really nice year at AAA. Surely not a long-term option in the rotation, but I wouldn't mind finally getting a look at a guy I've been absentmindedly following for the last several years.

Archived