Brewer Fanatic

Gwynn or Gomez

Crash2303
rocobrewfan- is Gomez considered a better defender? They are both excellent, and although people have mentioned Gomez's potential to be one of the best defenders, Gwynn is more consistently excellent in the field.

Gwynn has problems staying on the field. Maybe it's just bad luck, but it's certainly a red flag for anyone that wants to rely on him in any role at this point.

Of course, Gomez just has no clue. I don't know if it's lack of instruction, stubbornness, or if he just doesn't have the instincts, but he has little going for him other than unrefined tools. I don't know how good Cain is going to be, but you can see the guy has a plan at the plate. That's one of the reasons I'm fairly bullish on Cain as a long term answer. Cain won't sustain this current BA, but I do see him being able to adapt and avoid a huge crash ala Gomez, Francoeur, etc.

Robert

As far as defense goes here are Gomez and Gwynn career in CF.

Innings | UZR | OOZ | ARM

2660 | 28.4 | 202 | -1.4

1810 | 19.2 | 123 | -5.0

It looks like UZR has them right around equal, with Gomez making Out of Zone plays at a slightly higher rate and with a better arm. That seems pretty accurate with the ever popular eye test. TZL had a clear edge for Gomez, but that's only up through 2009 as I don't believe 2010 numbers will be available until after the season.

I guess I'd rather have Gomez in the field, Gwynn at the plate and neither as anything more than a 25th man.

Archived