Brewer Fanatic

NBA draft/Bucks-Yi discussion

patrickgpe
  • Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the crap is up with all the 4-team trade rumors in the NBA? All these rumors have like half the league involved, no wonder why they never actually happen. As soon as I here "...involving multiple teams" you can pretty much mark it down as very unlikely, especially with superstars.

I think anyway.

What the crap is up with all the 4-team trade rumors in the NBA?

It's all salary cap related.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

This is just great, another most likely weak center.

He's a PF.

Did you see his scouting videos? He's a faster Dirk (without the J) and drives to the basket more. The J can be taught.

Let's just hope that he doesn't force a trade. By "he" I mean the Chinese government.

Caution: Rant Ahead

If he's 19, then why did he play in the hoops summit game in 2004 with 18 year olds and some 19 year olds? The reality is he's 22. He's been carefully handled so they could spread a lot of disinformation. His height has been listed anywhere from 6'11" to 7'1". I don't think his measurements were taken at the pre draft camp, but rather separately. They witheld his standing reach among other things.

If the Bucks keep Yi, I might have to throw up. Apparently Larry Harris or Kohl doesn't believe NBA teams genuinely have to play defense. The guy averaged 1.3 blocks in the CBA against 6'6" centers and 5'6" guards. Can't really bang. Who are the Bucks going to stop if they re-sign Mo. The defense is going to be a sieve on the perimeter once again with Mo and Redd playing matador D and Yi and Bogut are going to do nothing to deter them. Bogut gave him a tough time at he worlds as did Jefferson at the aforementioned hoops summit game. I've seen him play a couple of times and he played tiny for a supposed big man. Loves to roam on the perimter, and thinks he's Dirk, but he doesn't have near Dirk's proficiency. So he won't make them step out as much. The athleticism in the NBA and in America period, is on another level from the rest of the world (especially China). If he has to rely on athleticism, he's going to be in for a rude awakening, because 4's in the NBA can stay with him laterally. Rebounding wise, he's not strong enough to get in position, and can't get on the trampoline with multiple jumps.

I've been a draft nut since I was about 6, and I'm a die hard Bucks fan. This is about as disgusted as I've been. I would have been perfectly satisfied with about 9 of 11 or so other realistic scenarios...so I wouldn't have been hard to please this year. If the quote from Bucher is true and Harris didn't see him play, that's appalling. How can you not see your first round draft pick play. I hope that's misinfo. This seems like a marketing ploy if we keep him. If we don't trade him today, we'll find out the hard way what he is all about.

I don't see how anyone can be up in arms over this pick at this point. All the scouts are saying Yi has tremendous potential. Horford and Conley were gone... There wasn't anyone markedly better than Yi available.

Quote:
I don't see how anyone can be up in arms over this pick at this point

How about maybe because I've done my own research and developed my own opinions. You don't have to agree with it. But that's why I'm up in arms about it. Debate my points if you don't feel my concerns were valid.

Edit: I should note that if a trade was not completed by 2 PM today, it can't be completed until all the picks involved are made. So we may have selected Yi for G.S., regardless what was said, and the trade simply wouldn't have been announced until the other pick involved was made. That's hope for detractors like myself.

From Emmett Prosser on his blog,

Thursday, Jun 28 2007, 07:05 PM

Hoping to cash in on the recent wave of international stars in the NBA (France's Tony Parker was the MVP of the NBA Finals), the Bucks have selected Yi Jianlian with the No. 6 pick.

Despite the fact that Yi's representation did not want him in Milwaukee, general manager Larry Harris has gambled that Yi will play in Milwaukee next season.

Steven A. Smith of ESPN is yelling at will about the fact that Harris has never seen Yi play. However, as usual, Smith is full of it. The Bucks' scouting staff has seen Yi play at least 20 times over the past four years including in the 2004 Athens Olympics and the 2006 World Championship

Most teams considered him the best player available. The Bucks had him rated as such, so they took him. I at least like the strategy of taking a player they like despite the rumblings that he doesn't want to play in Milwaukee. Whether he was the best player is another story of course, but I like the guts they showed if nothing else.

Archived