Brewer Fanatic

NBA draft/Bucks-Yi discussion

patrickgpe

Noah has seemed to warm a bit in regards to playing for the Bucks. (or at least get drafted by them in a sign and trade)

from JSONLINE

Noah was personable, loquacious, and downright chatty during the 30 minutes that he fielded questions Wednesday. Until the subject of Milwaukee came up, that is.

So Joakim, why did you refuse to work out for the Bucks?

"Uhhhh . . . " he said after a long pause. "I don't know."

Next question, please.

"You don't control where you go," Noah said. "It's not like college where you decide, 'Oh, I like that team, I'm going to go here.' That's not how it is at this level. You get drafted. You get picked. You may be happy where you end up, but what I realize is that you just have to give it 150% wherever you go and hopefully you end up in a situation that's right for you."

He did not, however, name cities or teams that appealed to him.

"I'm a big believer in karma," he said. "There are teams that I like better than others but right now, I don't really want to say what teams I like. God willing, I can go to one of them. I'll put it in God's hands. I don't think it would be the right thing to talk about."

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no new news but, from Ford's draft chat.

Pat, Belgium, Wisconsin: Who do you think the Bucks will pick up at No. 6?

SportsNation Chad Ford: (12:40 PM ET ) I think there's a chance they trade it. Mavs and Sixers have been trying to get in. Mavs offering Devin Harris. Sixers offering 12 and 21. Seems like both deals are worth taking for Milwaukee. If they keep the pick, I'd say Jeff Green.

SportsNation Chad Ford: (12:40 PM ET ) I think there's a chance they trade it. Mavs and Sixers have been trying to get in. Mavs offering Devin Harris. Sixers offering 12 and 21. Seems like both deals are worth taking for Milwaukee. If they keep the pick, I'd say Jeff Green

If the Bucks were to make either of those deals, I would be disappointed. I don't like either deal. If those are the trade options for the Bucks, they just might as well take the best player available at no. 6.

Plus, the more I read, the more likely it seems that Conley may indeed be there at No. 6, depending on any trades occuring. It looks like the Hawks are down to Yi and Horford. Memphis have had 3 players come back for a second workout, Horford, Brewer and Noah. The Celts seem to be done to Yi, Brewer and I forgot the 3rd player, but it wasn't Conley. Could all be smokescreens, but there at least there seems to be a decent chance that Conley could be there at No. 6 for the Bucks.

I think the Bucks' plan right now is to wait and see. They want to see if their guys are available at 6 and if not, draft the best player and deal or draft for someone else in a deal.

If we don't draft Conley or Horford, both of which are doubtful it seems, don't expect the player we draft to be playing for the Bucks next year.

I'm in the Horford/Conley/Trade camp. Essentially the trade camp.

I'm holding out for Pau Gasol, however unlikely that may be. But Bogut, Gadz and the #6 should get it done, easily. Maybe even request a future first form them lotto protected for 3 years.

Id be up for 12 and 21 from Philly. I hadnt heard that one before. That would allow us to select Al Thornton or Julian Wright or if he is still there - Acie Law - this would be a great deal - - - and then later in the 1st round there are just a ton of foreign guys who we could look at.

I don't like it because all we do is add 2 more prospects to the team. You don't win in the NBA with strictly young talent.

Draft picks are over rated. I'd rather trade them in for a good player from a team that wants to start over with a youth movement. Exploit the perceived notion that this draft is of the highest quality for potential NBA talent.

Thats a good point but I just think this team is so far away that a couple vets are not going to make it happen - - granted thats just my opinion. I think resigning Redd was a gigantic mistake the is going to hurt this team for a long time.

Id like to see the team rebuilt around Andrew Bogut.

How do you figure resigning Redd was such a "giant mistake"? It certainly has not hampered us from being active in the free agent market and despite his injuries last year, he was as productive as ever. He will never be a defensive stopper or a great rebounder but he can score from literally anywhere and is pretty much the only player that the Bucks can turn to in a tight situation. He is the only Buck that can, in a sense, take over a game (score 10-14 points in a row). I think the Redd signing was necessary and should be a good decision in the long term. He is not a head case and is a great teammate and seems to be well respected. I don't think you can ask for much more from him.

I think that there are alot of people who really want this Yi kid to bring in an asian fanbase. I think because of that we might be able to get more value for #6 than normal.

GS, LA, NY, Sacramento, Dallas, Chicago, Washington and perhaps even Houston are most likely to come after our pick.

Just my opinion -

Sorry for all the posts, but I am really excited about this draft this year. I think Mr Harris has a real chance to retool this entire team and replace players with superstars.

Stoudamire, Garnett, Kobe, Dirk, Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, Ben Gordon, Jermaine O'neal, Ron Artest, Shawn Marion, Jason Richardson, Kirilenko...............Hopefully Redd

This is shaping up to be one of the most exciting offseasons in history. Then again - just like all the other drafts, at the end of the day it will probably be just ho - hum.

Id like my star player to guard their star player once in a while. One dimensional players cant be stars. Mike Redd can score - - - when he takes 20 shots. What else does he do?

My opinion is that Max contracts have been taken so far out of what it was meant for. They are ruining the game. Guys who deserve max dollars are the superstars - Kobe, Garnett, Shaq, JKIDD, Duncan, Lebron, TMAC, Vince Carter, AI, - - - guys who the world knows on a first name or nickname basis. Guys who lead their team to the playoffs YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT.

If you have a MAX dollars contact on your team and you dont make the playoffs, that Max Contact was a MAJOR mistake no matter how you look at it. Thats the truth boys. Mike Redd is an overachiever and a great guy, but not a guy to carry a team. He is a secondary player.

He's a 1 dimensional player now? Define 1 dimensional, please.

A 1-d player is Kyle Korver. Stands around the perimeter waiting to get a pass so he can make a shot.

Redd controls the other teams defense with his ability to score from anywhere, form any position and at a high percentage.

You act like he should score less? He was our most efficient scorer last year and in fact the team would have done better to allow him to score more.

Also, another dimension he adds is that he gets doubles and tripled (and box and one'd...in the NBA!) a lot. When you do the math you can quickly see this opens up another player or two.

Even when he's off the ball he's being defended and at the least has someone shading him.

He opens up the offense this way.

His passing got better last year although improvement is always great.

But calling him a 1 d player is unfair. He brings so many active and passive facets to the offense.

Offensively he is an elite player. I fail to see how Mike Redd is this teams problem.

Quote:
Id like my star player to guard their star player once in a while. One dimensional players cant be stars. Mike Redd can score - - - when he takes 20 shots. What else does he do?

One dimensional???? Isn't that the NBA anyways?

Quote:
Kobe, Garnett, Shaq, JKIDD, Duncan, Lebron, TMAC, Vince Carter, AI

Out of this list I would give max contracts to Duncan, Lebron, TMAC, and Kobe. Plus you don't give max contracts to somebody because some guy in China knows who he is or knows his nickname, please. Redd is the face of the Bucks, and deserved his contract, no one else on that team is worth it.

I disagree, Aracko. While Redd is certainly not a top notch defender, he is a top notch scorer. He doesn't need to take 20 shots in order to score a lot as he shoots for a high percentage from just about everywhere. He is a go-to guy in crunch time too and just about the only player whom I would want to have the ball with the game on the line.

I also think that because the Bucks are such a poor team overall defensively, Redd takes a lot of the heat. If we had a Gerald Wallace or a Bruce Bowen or perhaps even a rookie like Corey Brewer, I don't think people would be as quick to judge Michael. I think his defense has improved over the years, though.

If you have a MAX dollars contact on your team and you dont make the playoffs, that Max Contact was a MAJOR mistake no matter how you look at it. Thats the truth boys.

Kevin Garnett.

Tracy McGradey.

Pau Gasol.

Kobe Bryant.

Jermaine O'Neil.

Paul Pierce.

Ray Allen.

Vince Carter.

Allen Iverson.

These are all max type players who have on occasion(s) missed the playoffs. this is just off the top of my head. Redd's team missed this year because of the immense amount of injuries. Get real.

Are you kidding me? The Bucks havent finished over .500 since 2002! Calling Mike Redd a Franchise player is calling your team a bad Franchise. He is a great secondary player.

Just because nobody else on the team deserves superstar money doesnt mean you just give it away.

I understand Milwaukee sports fans. We are loyal to no end for players who the media likes.

Steveo - I like that trade - Id like to see Devin Harris. He is already an outstanding defensive player and a great half court PG. If Larry K wants to stress Defense, then starting with a PG would be a perfect way to get that point across. Harris would control the tempo and would defend the other teams best offensive guard all season long. If there was a way to get both Devin Harris and Brewer, I think this team would be onto somethig special.

Secondary players don't typically average 25 ppg while still shooting above 45%. Redd has done that in back-to-back seasons. If you want to talk about guys that take a lot of shots, look at Iverson, Arenas, and McGrady. All three of those players have poor shooting percentages and take a ton of shots. Jason Kidd has always been a poor shooter. Even Ray Allen's FG% has dropped considerably in recent years.

I don't think it is fair to judge Redd on name value either. I think Redd is definitely a recognizable name throughout the league and his stock is still going up. I talk to clients all across the country that are well aware of Michael Redd.

As for the judging Redd based on the playoffs, that is just silly. Then Garnett certainly cannot be considered a star as Minnesota is a perennial 1st round bust. The Bucks, as a team, suffered a ton of injuries last year and have to constantly go through personnel changes year-in and year-out. Redd cannot be blamed for that. If anything, he deserves credit for his performance in the 05/06 playoffs when he averaged over 27 ppg and shot 52%.

If you base your dislike for Redd based on his defense and relatively low assists (pretty much my major gripe with him), I can accept that. However, you have to give him credit as a scorer, a teammate, a leader, and a genuinely good guy.

Are you kidding me? The Bucks havent finished over .500 since 2002! Calling Mike Redd a Franchise player is calling your team a bad Franchise. He is a great secondary player.

This comment makes no sense whatsover. That is like calling Prince Fielder or Ben Sheets a poor player just because the Brewers have not had a winning season since 1992. If anything, the Bucks supporting cast should be held responsible much more so than Michael Redd. He cannot carry a team solely on his own. Kobe Bryant has clearly proven that in recent years.

We could go back and forth about this debate all day. I wont do that but I will say this - Prince isnt paid like a franchise player. He has just become a franchise player this season. Ben Sheets plays only every 5 days and has nothing to do with his teams scoring. You cant compare a MLB Pitcher to a NBA 2 guard - thats just a waste of time.

If you want to be Mike Redds #1 fan, then more power to you. I think he is a really good basketball player and probably a much better man. He deserves some really hardcore fans. I just am not on the same page as many others in regards to his value. I could be wrong but I dont think I am.

Archived