Brewer Fanatic

NBA draft/Bucks-Yi discussion

patrickgpe
Quote:
The Williams & Magloire for Boozer trade doesn't sound right to me at all. I never heard that before - do we have a good source? (link?)

Several people on realgm who have sources inside the organization have confirmed this. I'll try to find the link from there later.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bucks have made inquiries into moving up to #3. The dropoff from 3 to 6 is huge but for the Hawks it makes sense. They arent going to draft ANOTHER PF.

I think asking for 3 and 11 in return for Mo and #6 is asking for too much in return.

Magloire did fit a need because he would allow them to dump Boozer and get an expiring contract in Magloire that could be moved or at worst be off the books at the end of the year and open up FA opportunities.

Williams would have been their SG, which was made obvious this year they needed bad.

Quote:
How is moving from 6 to 3 a huge leap? There are two locks for the first two picks and then a bunch of players rated nearly the same.

I completely disagree. Tier 2 in this draft starts and ends with Al Horford.

Meh... count me as uninspired.

There are 4 impact players in this draft.

Oden, Durant, Horford, and Conley. We pick 6th, so we can really only count on other GMs stupidity to come out well in this thing. Otherwise, I fear we'll be drafting Marcus Haislip v2.2.

I am 75% certain conley will be there. I am warming up to the idea of drafting him. I know he had a bad workout for the hawks. As stated before I would be happy with those 4 players plus Brewer or Brandon Wright.

I'm not a NBA fan, and I only get into the Bucks during the draft and offseason.

Put me down for Brewer, I think his skill set is underrated. Though I admit, I'm only 75% positive I know what his skill set is.

I'd consider trading the sixth pick for Harris. He's definitely a lot better than Conley would be now, and he's also better than Mo Williams. That's actually an intriguing idea... Of course I have no idea if Dallas would do it.

Me neither - its just brainstorming cause there is a rumor that Minnesota(dallasbasketball.com) told Dallas it would take some expiring money, a young player, and a pick between 3 and 7 to make it happen.

There is also a rumor that Dallas could turn Keith Van Horn into an expiring contract somehow (they own his rights). I dont quite get how this works but supposedly it can happen. Also they have Croshere.

Should the deal for KG fall through, the MAVS would still be in position to get the kid from China, who the young Donnie Nelson knows better than anyone.

Anyhow - its just fun to think about.

I put this together and

Put me down for Brewer, I think his skill set is underrated. Though I admit, I'm only 75% positive I know what his skill set is.

I laughed out lound at this.....

No way I'd give up the 6 pick for Harris either....

Quote:
He's definitely a lot better than Conley would be now, and he's also better than Mo Williams.

What up with all the Mo Williams haters?

I think he was a top 10 point guard last year. 17ppg, 6 assist and almost 5 boards is nothing to shake a stick at.

I like Conley alot. And he will likley be better the future. But I would rather just resign Mo and add another impact player. Letting Mo leave and drafting Conley is a lateral move.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Draft Yi in the first round. Sign Desmond Mason. Forget Billups, re-sign Mo Williams for half the price.

Get a three point gunner with the 2nd round pick.

Ship out Gadzuric and get a real backup big.

End of offseason.

Quote:

You laughed out loud at this, why? I think Brewer is a good player.

Quote:
Draft Yi in the first round.

Yi is not coming to Milwaukee he wants to play for a big market.

Quote:
I think he was a top 10 point guard last year. 17ppg, 6 assist and almost 5 boards is nothing to shake a stick at.

Ah, 3+ turnovers/game plus jacking up close to 17 shots/game (as mentioned earlier in this thread) pretty much negates his 17 PPG.

Mo is a 6th man/2-guard posing as a PG. If any team has watched tape of him this year instead of looking at the assists and points, they'd see just how inept he is at running an offense.

Even if the system according to Stotts and Larry K dictated that the attack be divided between Redd and Williams, there's still something called "ball distribution" that Mo failed miserably at. Watch how many times Mo stood there, and watch how, over the course of the season, his teammates worked less and less at getting open because - big surprise - Mo wasn't going to pass them the ball anyways.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From Gary Woelfel (in the know more than anyone on the Bucks):

Quote:
The Bucks won?t have the luxury of checking out Yi Jianlian one more time before Thursday night?s NBA draft.

But that doesn?t mean the Bucks still won?t select the highly-regarded Chinese power forward.

It was reported in this space four days ago that Bucks officials were having trouble arranging a workout with Yi, who figures to be one of the top eight players chosen in the draft.

Friday, Dave Babcock, the Bucks' player personnel director, confirmed the Bucks have been rebuffed in their attempts to meet with Yi in Los Angeles, apparently because Dan Fegan, Yi?s agent, and the Chinese government want to get him placed in a large market, preferably with a large Chinese population.

?It?s disappointing,?? Babcock said. ?All I can say we still like him.??

While the Bucks would have liked to have met with Yi, they nevertheless have a vault of information on him. Babcock has seen Yi play on numerous occasions as have Bucks general manager Larry Harris and scouts Scott Howard and Scott Roth. Babock estimates the Bucks have seen Yi play about 20 times over the last four years.

Suffice to say, they were suitably impressed. Yi is 7-foot, has a wing span of 7-foot-4 and an amazing 38-inch vertical leap. Fegan recently told me Yi had also put on weight, which was a concern to many NBA scouts, and reportedly weighs 248 pounds.

Babcock said Yi, in some ways, has the skills similar to those of former Bucks forward Toni Kukoc, although Yi is more athletic. Perhaps the big knock on Yi is that he hasn?t consistently played against top-flight competition in China. But Babcock is convinced Yi will make his mark in the NBA and make it quickly.

?He?s very skilled,?? Babcock said. ?He?ll be an impact guy in the NBA next year.??

Yi is on a short list of draft prospects for the Bucks. It?s no secret they would love to draft Al Horford, a power forward from Florida. But Horford is almost a cinch to be gone by the Bucks? pick. The Bucks are also extremely high on North Carolina forward Brandan Wright and Ohio State point guard Michael Conley II. There seems be mixed reviews on Florida small forward Corey Brewer and forward Jeff Green of Georgetown.

While Babcock made it clear the Bucks would draft Yi, if they felt he was the best player available at their pick, he also said the same holds true for Florida power forward Joakim Noah. Noah has refused to work out for the Bucks without giving any explanation. However, it?s highly unlikely the Bucks would draft Noah because they, like many teams, have grave concerns not only about his offensive skills but his maturity, or lack thereof.

Archived