Brewer Fanatic

NBA draft/Bucks-Yi discussion

patrickgpe

-While I like the idea of signing Mo to be our sixth man to provide "instant offense", I think he will be too costly. Someone will throw a ridiculous contract his way, and I'm just hoping it's not the Bucks.

-I think Horford has emerged as the clear cut # 3 player in the draft. I think it would probably take Villanueva and the 6th pick (where they would hope Conley falls) for the third. Starting Horford next to Bogut would be a great, young frontcourt combo.

-We better resign ILyasova. He made solid strides last year and it would be stupid to let him walk after we gave him so many minutes last year. He's a good SF prospect and would have been a first-round pick if he would have entered the draft when he was 20/21 instead of 18. From what I've heard is that he has put on 25 pounds of muscle since the end of the season.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade the pick. I think they can get more for it, plus the dumping of a contract they might not want (Gadzuric) and get a pretty good player back.

Why not trade:

Bogut or CV, Gadz, #6 pick 2007 draft.

for

Gasol, second round pick.

And then sign a FA with the cap room saved from trading away Gadzuric. Probably be Mo.

Getting younger is not going to help this team.

We have 2 valuable assets in our front court. But they're too young. We need to trade one of them (Bogut or CV) to get a veteran player who is a star and brings toughness and some leadership to the team.

I'm in the TRADE THE PICK camp.

I wouldn't think the Bucks would be dumb enough to sign Vince. Why would they? So they can back in to the playoffs for the length of his contract? A player like Vince Carter will never lead a team to a championship, which is what he'd have to do in Milwaukee. It would bring guard-oriented offense to a new level. Bogut might as well not even post-up because he would never see the ball. With Redd and Carter, who else is getting any touches?

What we need is a rebounder/shotblocker and a playmaking PG, and we should be able to find one of those needs through the draft. The Bucks aren't serious contenders until we can find both, which will probably take a year or two.

Carter resigns with Jersey.

NY Times mentions The Bucks want to resign Mo Williams from 7-8 Million but Mo is seeking 9-10 per to start discussions...........It goes on to say that the Bucks would seek a sign and trade for Mo if they couldnt come to an agreement.

MO WILLAMS making that kind of cash? Its not worth it boys. For that money I bet you could trade him back to Utah for Super Andre K.

Quote:
Mo Williams seems like a nice man but I dont like his game at all. I dont know exactly what it is abotu him. I say trade for Garnett. Redd and Sign and trade Mo.

Sign Chauncy Billups, Allan Houston

Bogut

Garnett

Paterson

Houston

Billups

Umm Allan Houston retired and your lineup is impossible.

1. We don't have the pieces to trade for Garnett without gutting our depth.

2. If we actually did get Garnett we would not have cap space to sign Billups.

Quote:
2. If we actually did get Garnett we would not have cap space to sign Billups.

While looking at some numbers - We could acquire Garnett as follows:

PART A - Garnett Acquisition

--------------------------------------------------------

#1 - Mike Redd makes 13.5 million

#2 - resigning Mo and trading him will free up appx 9.5 million.

Thats 23 Million.

HOWEVER - I BELIEVE Mo Williams will be a base year player because of his 20+% increase which means the Bucks can only take back HALF of his salary - or appx 5 million.

13.5 + 5.0 = 18.5 Million.

Garnett costs - 21 Million.

When teams over the cap are exchaging players the salarys must be within 15% + 100K of eachother. In this case they are.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All that said - when I really look at it, I think I agree - if we went out and got Garnett, we would not be able to afford Chauncy Billups, who is likely to command 10 - 12 million per. Unless of course we were able to move Gadz to someone - that would give them 6+ million off the books.

Overall - I guess your right and I am wrong.

EDIT TO ADD - I STILL DONT WANT MO WILLIAMS BACK.

EDIT TO ADD AGAIN - I THINK THIS BUCKS TEAM NEEDS TO BE BLOWN UP ENTIRELY.

Quote:
EDIT TO ADD AGAIN - I THINK THIS BUCKS TEAM NEEDS TO BE BLOWN UP ENTIRELY.

We finally agree. This team has nice pieces but none of them fit together.

Redd while a nice option is not worth his contract when the only thing he can do is score.

Gadz is overpaid, Simmons has like 1 leg so we're stuck with them.

We have a million free agents.

Bogut likes to whine, quit on the team and flip off fans.

Villanueva is softer than Cottenelle.

Nobody plays defense.

They didn't luck out and get the #1 or #2 pick.

Our tradeable assets don't make enough money to trade for a superstar.

The 6th pick holds no value to us.

Terry Stotts sucked, Krystkowiak probably will too

So does Herb Kohl.

I hate this team but continue to watch them.

I must be a masochist.

Quote:
So does Herb Kohl.

Can I ask why Herb Kohl sucks?

He paid the luxary tax for several years on this team when they were pushing on into the playoffs. He has been willing to open his walllet pretty much whenever we wanted to sign a FA. (It's not his fault that money was spent on Simmons and Gads)

And in spite of having a very poor arena - where he has no hope of really turning a profit - he has kept this team in Milwaukee.

(Remember when Jordan wanted to buy the team and move it to Chicago)

He has tried to put a winning team on the floor. And most importantly - he has commited to keeping the team in Milwaukee. I can't complain about him.

Trade the pick. Drafting players isn't going to help this team very much this year. It's rare for a rookie or even second year player to have major, positive impact on a team trying to go places.

This years draft is hyped a lot. Picks are worth a lot more than they usually are. We should take advantage of this and gather a known quantity for ourselves.

We didn't get in the lotto so lets use our pick to clean house by moving a contract we don't want any longer and creating our front court.

This team is young enough and needs veterans. I'm not saying we can't get a good player with that pick, but I think we can help the team more if we trade it. We could compete in this Eastern conference with Mike Redd and Pau Gasol as our 2 stars. We have a steller set of role players to boot.

Without thinking too much about who might still be available, I'd consider guys like Sumpter, Landry and Tucker with the second pick. I like guys in the second round who dominated in college but aren't considered first rounders for size or athleticism reasons.

re: Mo Williams.

I dont follow or care much for NBA Basketball, but the little I do see/hear/read about leads me to believe that if Mo Williams, as a point gaurd, is going to be getting paid between 8 and 11 million a year, then the NBA must be very short on talent and very long on money,

Make it rain Mo.

Quote:
Mo Williams, as a point gaurd, is going to be getting paid between 8 and 11 million a year

And to get that much he'll need more than one suitor. The Bucks are the only team that will be able to give him above $5 million. He'll get around $6-8 million.

Quote:
Can I ask why Herb Kohl sucks?

He paid the luxary tax for several years on this team when they were pushing on into the playoffs. He has been willing to open his walllet pretty much whenever we wanted to sign a FA. (It's not his fault that money was spent on Simmons and Gads)

And in spite of having a very poor arena - where he has no hope of really turning a profit - he has kept this team in Milwaukee.

(Remember when Jordan wanted to buy the team and move it to Chicago)

He has tried to put a winning team on the floor. And most importantly - he has commited to keeping the team in Milwaukee. I can't complain about him.

Because he meddles.

Yes he has spent money but since we've had how many good teams in the past 15 years? How many legitimate contenders? One.

He wants a new arena but won't pay for one, won't discuss it with anybody, won't bring it into the public for awareness.

Sorry if I don't like the Bucks winning only 47.4% of their games since he's been owner and sorry that I'm not satisfied by the Bucks winning only 43% of their games over the past 15 years.

I also disagree with the statement that Herb Kohl is a bad owner. I think he has made a few poor choices in coaches and made the mistake of trusting George Karl more than he should have. He has provided the assets to go out and sign players, though, and I really think that is the #1 responsibility of an owner. Have our GM's used that money wisely? That is certainly up for debate. Tim Thomas was a disastor. Anthony Mason was a foolish signing. So was Dan Gadzuric and Bobby Simmons. However, we also stepped up and paid our "premiere" players (Big Dog, Ray Allen, and now Michael Redd) considerable money to stay in Milwaukee. I think free agent signings like Mo Williams and Charlie Bell, and some of our other "smaller" signings have paid off nicely. He very well may have meddled with the Terry Porter situation, but I didn't blame him for doing that. He probably still feels a little uneasy after the whole Karl situation. It was obviously a mistake to hire Stotts and that is why he is no longer our coach.

trwi7, I don't think you know the whole situation with the Bradley Center. It is much, much more complicated than just Kohl refusing to go out and pay for a new one.

Blaming Kohl for the team's struggles is kind of silly. The players, the head coach, and the GM have far more responsibility when it comes to winning then an owner does. As long as he keeps providing the money for Larry Harris, he is doing his job.

Quote:
The players, the head coach, and the GM have far more responsibility when it comes to winning then an owner does.

Well how much better do you think the Bucks would've been this year with lets say Carlos Boozer.

Because Kohl declined to take on his salary last year when Harris was offered Boozer (and maybe their 1st I don't remember but Boozer for sure) for Mo Williams and Jamaal Magloire.

Instead we had to settle for Steve Blake, Ha Seung Jin and Brian Skinner.

That is what pisses me off. If you don't want to take on salary then sell the team, I'm sick of losing.

I am a casual Bucks' fan, and will root for them regardless, but they sure seem to like Conley too much. He may be pretty good eventually, but at 19, he will struggle a lot. He and Noah look to be very mediocre additions, backups only, and at #6, you need a guy who is going to step right in and play 25-30 minutes.

In hindsight it looks like a no brainer. Williams and Magloire for this years version of Carlos Boozer and potentially their 1st rounder. I was actually promoting this (acquiring Boozer) last summer and hoped the Bucks would. But it was just too risky.

He'd been injured for a couple years and looked like he was busting. His value was at an all time low because he hadn't done anything and was injury plagued the last couple years. So taking him on would have been dangerous because we would have been stuck with a guy over the next few years who couldn't play and destroyed our cap, potentially.

I used to use RealGM and I don't recall hardly anyone wanting to trade for Boozer last summer when it was brought up.

Quote:
That is what pisses me off. If you don't want to take on salary then sell the team, I'm sick of losing.

If he sells the team - it is leaving Wisconsin.

I agree he might have meddles a little too much. But Simmon, Thomas, Gadzurich, Mason etc were all times he opened HIS wallet (remember he is often losing money on this team) and the GM completely wasted it.

The Williams & Magloire for Boozer trade doesn't sound right to me at all. I never heard that before - do we have a good source? (link?)

Magloire doesn't fit the needs of Utah at all. They use big men that can pass a bit and they have Okur. They had Williams and could have matched our offer for him two years ago if they wanted him so badly. On top of that - they have Deron Williams, why would they possibly want Mo?

That trade sounds like wishful thinking on the part of a Bucks fan.

I just saw a trade proposal on benmaller.com that while it hasn't been discussed between the two teams, it sure makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Sign and Trade Mo Williams and the # 6 pick for the Hawks # 3 and # 11 pick. The Bucks would jump on that I would think.

Quote:
Sign and Trade Mo Williams and the # 6 pick for the Hawks # 3 and # 11 pick. The Bucks would jump on that I would think.

IF the Bucks could pull that one off, I'd be one of the happiest fans out therehttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Who knows, maybe we could get our PG at 11 then...

The sign and trade with Atlanta was actually put forth by Sam Smith and is just something he thinks makes sense.

"Here's another deal that makes sense and should happen, though it's difficult to work any trades with Atlanta because of a muddled ownership situation. And I'm also told no such talks have taken place, but they should: The Bucks should re-sign Mo Williams and trade him and No. 6 for the Hawks' No. 3 and No. 11."

Archived