Brewer Fanatic

NBA draft/Bucks-Yi discussion

patrickgpe
  • Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what someone wrote on another message board about that "rumor".

"According to the ESPN messege boards, CBS Sports Radio is reporting a 3-Way Trade is in the works which would send Yi to the Lakers, Kobe to the Mavericks, and Harris and Josh Howard to the Bucks."

As we all know, rumors from ESPN message boards are 99% accurate.

Screw that - I want Kobe.

Honestly - Harris and josh howard would be a pretty nice deal.

Too Nice. Howard averaged 21 and 10 - thats better than Yi will do for a few years, EDIT - These are playoff stats.

Quote:
"Very Nice Player?" Yes - as a 2-guard or 6th man. As a PG? Absolutely not. He lacks the court management skills of a true ballhandler.

Can you name 10 points guards in the NBA who are better?

I would say Mo is pretty close to #10. And when you remove a few players because of their age (Kidd) - I really like Mo.

Is he a typical PG? Maybe not. But he is a really good scorer, a good rebounder and had around 6 dimes a game.

Short of Chris Paul/Deron Williams type players - I fail to to many who I would rather have.

and then will be in Vegas next week, reportedly.

And so will the bucks in about 2 - 3 years.

I have a lot of family in Vegas - from what they tell me, Vegas doesn't want the NBA back. Ever. The players and their entourages were extremely rude to everyone in the service industry when they were there for the All-Star game, trashing their hotel rooms, being rude to waiters/waitresses, not leaving tips, acting like they owned the town and the town should be happy that they were there, among many other things. And oh yeah, Pacman Jones' crew shot somebody. Granted, he's not in the NBA, but he was there for an NBA event.

Of course money talks and some rich guy will try to bring a team to Vegas. If the common man in Vegas had anything to say about it, it would be a tough sell (buy).

Quote:
players and their entourages were extremely rude to everyone in the service industry when they were there for the All-Star game, trashing their hotel rooms, being rude to waiters/waitresses, not leaving tips, acting like they owned the town and the town should be happy that they were there, among many other things.

Was it the players and their entourages or was it the "fans" who traveled to Vegas en masse who, in Jason Whitlock's words, (link) have "...transformed the league's midseason exhibition into the new millennium Freaknik, an out-of-control street party that features gunplay, violence, non-stop weed smoke and general mayhem..."? Hosting the All Star Game and bringing a team to Vegas are two very different things.

Quote:
Can you name 10 points guards in the NBA who are better

Kidd

Nash

Billups

Deron Williams

Chris Paul

Hinrich

Baron Davis

Tony Parker

Marbury

Andre Miller

and...

TJ Ford

I'd even throw Alston, Jameer Nelson, and Mike Bibby above Williams as well.

Quote:
And when you remove a few players because of their age (Kidd) - I really like Mo.

Drop off a few of those and basically you've eliminated about 1/3 of the PGs in the league - you'd hope that Mo would be near the top 10 of the remaining, right?

Quote:
But he is a really good scorer, a good rebounder and had around 6 dimes a game.

Mo may have had 6 APG, but his A/TO ratio was downright pedestrian. And your points about Mo being a good scorer are true in the sense that you'd expect anyone that hurls up about 15.4 shots/game to be able to get closer to 20 PPG than Mo did. And, as I discussed earlier here, Mo's SPG is significantly higher than other PGs of value. I'd pass at 10 M. Heck, I'd pass at 8. IMO Mo's really worth about 6, maybe 7 tops.

Quote:
Yi can request a trade all he wants. It won't matter. He has no leverage.

He has plenty of leverage. How much money do you think the Chinese government has? They can pay him whatever they want to "sit out" a year.

I don't like it one bit when a draft pick in any sport pulls this crap, but the reality is he DOES have some leverage. It may not be the right move to start his career, but they can play that card if they want.

If he does stay, I'm fine with the pick. The bottom line, he doesn't change the Bucks fundamental weakness- defense, toughness. The good news is the Bucks have cash to spend, trades can be made, and they have key pieces returning from injury. Harris should have this team in the playoffs this year unless he really messes up.

He has plenty of leverage. How much money do you think the Chinese government has? They can pay him whatever they want to "sit out" a year.

It won't matter if he "sits out" a year. The Bucks have his rights indefinitely. He can sit out for 10 years and they will still control his rights. That's NBA rules. If he ever wants to play in the NBA he will have to deal with the Bucks.

Quote:
It won't matter if he "sits out" a year. The Bucks have his rights indefinitely. He can sit out for 10 years and they will still control his rights. That's NBA rules. If he ever wants to play in the NBA he will have to deal with the Bucks.

That's not true at all. If he sits out of professional basketball for a year he can re-enter the draft next year.

Yi will play for the Bucks, I'm confident and sure of that.

Edit: I think the only way Yi doesn't play for the Bucks, is if the Chinese communist govt and their basketball officials stops him due to the 2008 Olympics.

Quote:
He would not be able to play in Asia either then right?

He can still play for the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association). But I don't think he would, less money, prestige, and lower competition.

Quote:
He would not be able to play in Asia either then right?

Depends if it's with the national team then he could re-enter the draft if it's in the CBA then he would still be property of the Bucks.

Mo is certainly an above average PG, and the 2nd best FA on the market right now. He'll make a fortune somewhere.

Doubt it

There are very few teams with the cap space to sign Mo for more than the MLE,which is about six million per season.

Plus,not only are there few teams with the cap room to offer Mo a really big contract,he needs one that also needs a PG.Right now the only team i see with the cap room and PG need to offer more than the MLE for Mo is Memphis and rumor is getting a big man is a higher priority.

Now there will be multiple teams willing to offer Mo their full MLE which would amount to a 5yr/33 million dollar deal.So my guess is the Bucks will offer something in the 5yr/35-40 million range and he'll accept.Barring a suprise team clearing cap room,Mo won't have a ton of other options.

upon thinking about the pick of yi for the last couple days i think it still is a mistake. If we can get him to sign here, the best case scenario is that he plays out his contract and leaves the first moment he can. This is he extremely young, if he is as old as he claims, we are going to develop him for someone else.

Quote:
Mo is certainly an above average PG,

If, by "above average," you mean "at best, 13th or 14th out of 30," then yes, I might agree with you. But by no means has he done anything from the PG spot that's considered worthy enough to be entrusted with running the team from the point... especially at the 8-10M/year level that's being thrown around.

I'm hoping Larry's holding Yi's rights hostage to leverage, oh, a good point guard and PF from some team.

"Oh, hey Chicago! What? You want Yi? We'll take Hinrich and a first for next year off your hands."

"Hey, Miami! You want Yi? We'll do a sign-and-trade with Mo plus Yi for, oh... Dwyane Wade. He'll be our new PG now. Thanks!"

I seriously think that Larry has to play hardball like the above examples in this case.

Verified Member

That's not true at all. If he sits out of professional basketball for a year he can re-enter the draft next year.

At least take the time to make sure you actually are right when telling someone else "that's not true at all".

Per todays JS

Bucks general manager Larry Harris has insisted he does not want to trade Yi. The forward could return to his team in the Chinese Basketball Association, the Guangdong Tigers, but the Bucks would retain his NBA rights.

Also, the Bucks drafted Rashard Griffith a while back and he remained property of the Bucks for years. Same thing happened with Toni Kukoc when he was drafted by the Bulls. This isn't the NFL or MLB, in the NBA the team that drafts the player does hold the rights to that player even if he sits out a year, or two or five.

Archived