Brewer Fanatic

NBA draft/Bucks-Yi discussion

patrickgpe

Since we are only 9 days away, and there are a few basketball fans on this board, I think we need to start talking about it.

As far as the bucks go, I tend to change my mind on who i want with the pick. As of now, I am assuming Oden, Durant, and Hortford are gone for sure. Conley is most likely gone. The 2 players I am focused on now is Brewer and Brandon Wright. They both have a great chance of being around and I think both are great picks. I would favor Brewer because of his defense.

what do you guys think?

EDIT: Title of thread

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the Bucks can go wrong with Brewer or Wright. Brewer is probably more polished and some have called him the best defensive player in all of college basketball. Wright is young and raw but showed flashes of stardom this past season. I think he will be a better player coming into the NBA than Marvin Williams was too.

Personally, I really hope that Mike Conley somehow falls to the Bucks. I love his unselfishness and his speed. I think he could really make Redd and Bogut better players. Plus, it would make Mo Williams expendable and potentially allow the Bucks to explore signing Gerald Wallace, arguably one of the best defenders in the NBA. That would be a heck of an offseason for the Bucks.

Any of Wright, Conley, Brewer or Horford would be just fine by me. All 4 could help the team. At least, as far as I can tell - Im not an NBA team and dont really follow the Bucks but those guys are good.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Bucks seemed to be really impressed with both Brendan Wright and Mike Conley, Jr. from what I have read around.....but I also read that the Bucks have Al Horford as the #3 player in the draft.

Basically, I know no more than I did a month ago.

(Disclaimer: not a Bucks fan...and more of a NCAA fan than an NBA guy.)

The only way I would think about making that trade is if/when Conley Jr. is off the table. He's a great penetrator / distributor at the point, and a tremendous off-ball defender (getting into the pass lane and anticipating steals....which usually turn into points at the other end).

Quote:
according to woeffel: rumors are starting about the 6th pick to golden state for richardson and the 18th. I'd do that

Why? Richardson makes $12 million when we have Redd making the max and Simmons making around $10 million.

If the Warriors want the 6th pick they better start offering up their pick, a future pick and either Monta Ellis or Andris Biedrins.

but the Bucks have a ton of cap space and there's (from what I understand) few good FA's this year. so maybe a big-contract guy isn't inconceivable.

does anyone here who follows the team more than I do think the Bucks will/should make a big splash during the draft rather than just taking the #6 pick?

odd, I don't enjoy NBA basketball, but I love following the general-management side of it.

Quote:
odd, I don't enjoy NBA basketball, but I love following the general-management side of it.

Ill watch the bucks, but won't watch any other nba game. The off season stuff, as it is with baseball and football, can be entertaining. Bill Simmons just wrote a column stating that the nba was in trouble because the off season is more entertaining than the finals, we are not alone.

Quote:
but the Bucks have a ton of cap space and there's (from what I understand) few good FA's this year.

It's not nearly as much as some journalists **cough** Michael Hunt **cough** make you think.

I'm a big basketball fan but it's hard for me to enjoy following the Bucks when they continue to tease of brilliance and then toil in mediocrity or worse this year.

I would take that JRich trade and move Simmons for an expiring contract and a young PF. Maybe a Simmons and #6 for Biedrins and JRich and #18. Who do we take then at #18? Javaris Crittenton and Acie Law are the next best PG after Conley.

I'm still bummed about picking 6th. I'd be happy with any of Yi Jianlian, Al Horford, Mike Conley, Brandon Wright, and MAYBE Brewer. Just say no to Jeff Green, Joakim Noah, Julian Wright, ect.

I really want Carl Landry too. Give us atleast one home grown guy I could like. Reece Gaines blew. :-(

i'm not too bummed about picking sixth. we got our chance at picking high, and any higher this year would just be a greater indication of the ineptitude of the team. all the top draft picks won't make us a good team. we've got a chance to be decent with the players we've got, if only we learned how to play like a team, and i don't see that 1 vs. 6 is going to change that.

If the Bucks were in need of a SF I would consider the Richardson trade, but SFs are a dime a dozen. They have Patterson, Simmons, and I called for picking Landry in the 2nd round weeks ago. SFs and SGs are the easiest to find, so if I'm going to trade the #6 pick it better be for a PG, PF or C.

Brandon Wright - is he from UNC? If so, I heard rumours that he isn't the most motivated ("flashes" of brilliance often equals inconsistency which often equals lack of motivation). If so, I don't want the Bucks to touch him. I wouldn't mind the Bucks trading down to the middle of the 1st and pick up a first next year, as there are several decent PFs that are predicted to go mid-first.

The Richardson trade is interesting but I think it only happens if Simmons or Gadzuric are included for salary cap relief. Unfortunately that trade would not solve our problems at power forward, though. I hope Larry waits until draft day to make any deals. If Conley or Horford are available, I don't think the Bucks can deal away the 6th pick.

If the Bucks are sincerely interested in Carl Landry and he drops to the 2nd round, I think he could be had easily. From what I have seen over the years, GM's don't hesitate to trade up and down in the second round. If Larry wants him and he doesn't think he'll drop down to the Bucks spot, I think he would make a move to move up and draft him, just like Damir Markota last year.

Assuming Oden, Durrant and Hortford are gone, I would like to see the Bucks take B. Wright as he has the best potential upside of the rest of the players available. But, I wouldn't be disappointed if they took Conley. Brewer and Yi Jianlian would be okay. Green would be an eh... pick for me.

My biggest worry is with Harris only having one year left on his contract, he either drafts a player that is most ready to help this year/season over a more talented player that may not be as ready this upcoming season.. Or he trades the pick for the same reason.

Draft Brewer and we have to find away to gvie Bobby away (I'm Ok with that). Go for Conley and Mo is going to go. I'm guessing but I'd assume that Hortford, Conley and Brewer are 3-4-5 in some order. That leave B. Wright...

I forgot to mention that this seems to be the year of the surprise, who?, 1st round pick for the pro teams in Wisconsin.

Green Bay with Harrell and the Brewers with LaPorta. So, expect the Bucks to take someone no one is really talking about. Say, someone like Al Thornton. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

from bill simmons

6. Milwaukee Bucks

Here's the Eastern team that could make a quantum leap next season: The Bucks only have to re-sign Mo Williams, get Bobby Simmons healthy and use this sixth pick on Brandan Wright and they're good to go. Stick those three with Charlie Villanueva, Andrew Bogut and Michael Redd and that's a pretty sweet nucleus on paper, although they definitely need to sign a crazy Australian 12th man who calls everyone "Mate" and gives Bogut someone to drink with. I'm not a huge Wright fan, but he's a shifty inside scorer with deceivingly long arms (well, when he's trying) and the Bucks desperately need inside scoring, as well as someone who won't make Villanueva feel so bad for mailing in every fourth game. Also, Wright is so damned long that Jay Bilas might start flogging himself in delight during the draft. Man, is Brandan Wright long. That is one long dude.

The VP's verdict: Take Wright, re-sign Williams and pursue Gasol for Bogut and a 2008 No. 1.

sports.espn.go.com/espn/p...ons/070620

For a guy that claims to be one of the biggest NBA fans on the planet, Bill Simmons sure doesn't know much outside of his Boston and LA teams. If Mo Williams were starting in Boston that last couple years he would see that he is not a PG you want starting for a hopeful contender. The Bucks need defense and playmaking out of that position, not a trigger-happy SG disguised as a PG. While his off-season plan would guarantee us a playoff spot for the next five years, it would still end result in a first round exit every year.

The problem is that point-guards that defend and pass well are rarely on the market. Two that might be available are Andre Miller (vet on young team) and Chris Duhon (I've heard the Bulls are trying to deal him). I'd be happy with either over Mo.

Archived