Brewer Fanatic

Brewers mulling Gomez options -- Latest: Activated from DL

PrinceEatMeat
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Granted, this is better than Desmond Bishop saying he is one of the top MLB in the NFL, since at least Gomez has been a starter and is only talking about the Brewers... but I'm still not crazy about this type of attitude.

As a top athlete, I would expect anyone fighting for a job needs to have the attitude that they are the greatest thing since Cool Whip. Gomez has struggled, and any sort of defeatist or perhaps even negative realist attitude isn't going to help him break through.

There is a middle ground between Cool Whip and defeatist. What if he had come out and said:

"I'm not giving up my CF position without a fight. I realize I've struggled, but I'm going to work and improved and defend my starting position in CF."

We would all be praising him for his clarity of thought and determination. But instead we are left to guess if he is speaking with bravado or just plain cluelessness (i.e. that he doesn't have anything he needs to improve).

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moving forward, you have 3 starting OF, all RH. I just don't see what Gomez brings to the table. Dickerson will have a higher OPS, plus he's a LH stick off the bench. I much rather have Katin as the 5th OF, it would be nice to have a PH with some pop coming off the bench. (My apologies to Joe Inglett and his sick power.)

Moving forward, you have 3 starting OF, all RH. I just don't see what Gomez brings to the table. Dickerson will have a higher OPS, plus he's a LH stick off the bench. I much rather have Katin as the 5th OF, it would be nice to have a PH with some pop coming off the bench. (My apologies to Joe Inglett and his sick power.)
I like Dickerson as the #4 OF, and though I've never been sold on Katin (though there's skill there to like), and assuming the Crew doesn't bring in an Edmonds/Kapler type next year, I'm starting to think Dickerson & Katin as the OF reserves could be a good tandem.

It's funny how Inglett's an IF by training but Macha pretty much never plays him there, giving him far more time in the field in the OF.

The Haudricourt blog post is really good. This part was kind of concerning, though: "Word is going around Miller Park that the Brewers are determined to play Gomez and get something from him to prove the Hardy deal was not a bust."

Maybe that's only referring to this season, but AAA is where Gomez belongs right now.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Gomez would be up on Sept. 1 regardless, so keeping him up here now, fine. Whatever. As long as Cain is getting the majority of the starts I'm fine with it. Next season is what I'm more concerned about. As of right now, the Brewers know what they have in Gomez. At the very least, start him at AAA next year and see if he can figure it out. I would say that with the way he's playing right now, if he's on the Brewers Opening Day roster, I would question the commitment to winning because there is no way he should be in Milwaukee.

And this whole thing about the trade being a bust-who cares. The Brewers saved a ton of money and it directly gave Escobar his chance and indirectly gave Cain his chance.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"I think I’m still the man on this team"

Wow. Delusion, or delusion+entitlement? I'd been rooting for Gomez up to this point.

I don't think he is delusional or anything like that.

1.) He uses the term "I think" -- As a top athlete, I would expect anyone fighting for a job needs to have the attitude that they are the greatest thing since Cool Whip. Gomez has struggled, and any sort of defeatist or perhaps even negative realist attitude isn't going to help him break through.

2.) He recognizes Cain has played well, and has given him props.

3.) He claims to be the best CF (not hitting necessarily), and I think that may very well be true.

This is all fine and well, but he could easily say "I know this hasn't been the season I expected from myself, but I'm going to go out there and prove that I deserve the playing time".

Corey Hart was pretty matter of fact about his spring being nothing but complete suck. When an athlete scuffles, there's nothing wrong with saying 'this week/month/season has been tough, but I know I'm capable of much more than what my numbers show'.

As long as Cain is getting the majority of the starts I'm fine with it.

That's how I took this quote from Macha in Witrado's initial Gomez blog post yesterday:

“Let’s say we have three centerfielders right now,” Macha said. “There well could be an open competition. There’s nothing wrong with competition. (Cain) is in the lineup tonight and he’s playing centerfield. That should be enough of a statement.”

I guess that could just mean that all Macha wanted to say about Gomez's comments was to talk about that night's game, but I read a bit more into it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think Gomez has gone off the deep end, he is craazy.
It's nothing new. It's what Twins fans watched up here all of the 2 previous years. I knew we were getting a knucklehead from the moment the trade was announced.

As crossface21 just noted above, down the road, the Hardy-Gomez may be seen ultimately as what gave both Escobar & Cain their starts. Cain just had to wait a couple months into the season before really getting his chance.

I saw a comment on Twitter that said Melvin was on AM-620 this morning. Apparently he "hinted that Gomez would be in the minors next season." Anyone hear it this morning and have more?

I heard it. He didn't really hint at anything. He just said Cain had more development time in the minors and Gomez has had to learn in the big leagues.

You can listen to it here.

• 2 weeks later...
Gomez definitely chose his words better in the recent article. It seems that being benched with the threat of AAA next year may have been what it took to get through to Gomez. I hope he is serious, and does what he says, which is to spend the winter in the Dominican Republid working with the Brewers AAA hitting instructor on developing better plate discipline.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Gomez can fix his approach and live up to the offensive potential he showed in AA, that would be wonderful. I still have faith it can happen, but not nearly as much as I did when we first acquired him. The kid is still young, and the tools are definitely there. People often say power is the last tool to develop but for lots of these youngsters it's the Sixth tool that often develops last, make up.

I guess I just like to dream of an outfield with him and Cain. Braun could just stay in the dugout between innings.

It's not like it would be a bad thing for the Brewers to have two really good CFs on hand next season.
It would be if Gomez has a good spring and we have to watch him hit for a month+ again next year like he has this year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived