Brewer Fanatic

Brewers mulling Gomez options -- Latest: Activated from DL

PrinceEatMeat

Trading Gomez this offseason seems like a pointless move. We already sold Hardy low to get Gomez, but at least there you can argue that we probably could have made the same trade with the Twins when Hardy was playing well; both guys lost trade value at similar rates. But Gomez has close to no trade value right now (at least JJ has been kept the pace). Unless you can flip him for an underachiever whose chances for improvement you like significantly better, then the wiser move is to start him in AAA and see if anything happens. If he fails, then you haven't really lost anything . . .

. . . except the development space at AAA. Here's where I'd love to hear our minor league mavens' thoughts. The value of Gindl and Haydel seems to have a lot to do with whether either can play CF at the MLB level. In Gindl's case, that factor may make or break his chance to be a MLB regular. Would getting Gomez the PT he needs at Nashville be worth the time in CF that such a strategy would cost Gindl and, to a lesser extent, Haydel? Or can the AAA staff juggle those priorities effectively?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gomez has tools.

He has not harnessed them.

I believe he also speaks limited English, currently. Can you imagine how hard it would have been to adjust to playing baseball through the minor leagues with a limited understanding of English? Perhaps the language barrier has stunted his growth?

Edit: Can't believe my synonym for "stunted" was blocked!

I don't think you can use the language barrier as an excuse for him at this point. Being from the Dominican Republic, I would assume he has learned enough "Baseball English" to get by in the majors. I'm not saying it couldn't be a hindrance, but I doubt it's a significant one.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I appreciate that English isn't Gomez's native tongue. Regarding a language barrier, however, he's been playing baseball in the U.S. everyday for 8 straight months per year for 6 full years now, plus the half-season he played Rookie ball in 2004. I can't help but think that...

When you're surrounded by the language 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 8 straight months, for 6-plus years -- pretty clearly a full-immersion situation -- you ought to be pretty reasonably functional in the language by now -- especially having others who also speak your native tongue with you everyday, even if some of the nuances are still tough to grasp.

Maybe there are circumstances at play that trump what seems to be pretty self-evident logic. It's just hard to imagine, though, how those circumstances might trump for 6-plus years.

Gomez has too many tools. That first game of the season, that 3 for 4 game, thats what he could be. He knows it, everyone knows. Gomez would've been a great player for Ned Yost. I'm strongly under the opinion that he just needs to play, everyday. Now whether thats AAA or the Majors I dont know. But he has far too many tools to just give up on him. The idea of moving Corey or Braun to first after Prince leaves and then having Cain/Gomez in the outfield is just ridiculous. They would be able to cover so much from left to center. And whoever is in center could shade to the right covering whoevers left in right. It'd be the best outfield defense the Crew has had and easily the best in the majors.

Where does this idea that Yost played young players come from? Yost benched Alex Sanchez, who is much like Gomez, for the gritty Brady Clark. He benched Hardy after 6 weeks when he didn't hit right away. He buried Corey Hart behind Kevin Mench even after Hart hit the season before. If Yost was in Milwaukee, Counsell would be the starting SS 5 days a week, and we'd have another catcher added after Yost complained that he needs someone like him on the field.

Where does this idea that Yost played young players come from? Yost benched Alex Sanchez, who is much like Gomez, for the gritty Brady Clark.
Alex Sanchez was 26 when he was benched and then traded by the Brewers. Yes, Sanchez was 4 years younger than Clark, but I'm not sure he'd be considered a young player at that point. There's a huge difference between a 24 year old (Gomez) and 26 year old (Sanchez) in the world of baseball.
He benched Hardy after 6 weeks when he didn't hit right away.
Hardy started over half the games in every month of the 2005 season. I'd hardly call that being benched.
He buried

Corey Hart behind Kevin Mench even after Hart hit the season before.

In 2006 after Mench was acquired Hart had 187 PA's, Mench had 133. In 2007 Hart had ~250 more plate appearances than Mench. If anything, Mench was buried behind Hart; it certainly wasn't the other way around.
If Yost was in Milwaukee, Counsell would be the starting SS 5 days a

week, and we'd have another catcher added after Yost complained that he

needs someone like him on the field.

Everyone on this board knows you couldn't stand Yost. If you're gonna criticize him, at least do it with something resembling facts, not revisionist history and gross exaggerations.

I guess I don't understand why they haven't considered an extended stint in AAA for him. Maybe they don't want to swallow their pride by "giving up on him", yet?
Giving up on him would be trading or releasing him too soon. AAA seems more like an investment in his and the Brewers' futures.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The idea of moving Corey or Braun to first after Prince leaves and then having Cain/Gomez in the outfield is just ridiculous. They would be able to cover so much from left to center. And whoever is in center could shade to the right covering whoevers left in right. It'd be the best outfield defense the Crew has had and easily the best in the majors.

Agreed, though it's a longshot. If Gomez can get it together in AAA next year and Cain hits well enough to be a corner outfielder, Braun could move to 1B in 2012 and we'd see the best defensive outfield Milwaukee has trotted out in a while. It's more likely that Gomez is the odd man out and we just move Gamel or acquire a journeyman 1B, though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I keep reading and hearing about Gomez's physical gifts and tools, but that means precisely squat if the guy can't discipline himself at the plate.

In baseball more than ANY OTHER sport, a guy can get away without being an extraordinary athlete if he's got a great eye, quick wrists, and fantastic coordination.

David Ortiz, David Wells, Prince Fielder, heck, even Benny Sheets are examples of guys that would never get mistaken for pro athletes if you didn't know any better.

But physical tools in baseball, again, more than any other sport, don't mean a thing if you don't have the *baseball* acumen to put them to use.

Personally, I have seen nothing from Gomez this year (regression, if anything) that would suggest to me that he's on the verge of 'getting it' and busting out and becoming something more than an albatross on offense.

Where does this idea that Yost played young players come from? Yost benched Alex Sanchez, who is much like Gomez, for the gritty Brady Clark.

Sanchez was benched for Podsednik, who was only 27 at the time. Brady Clark didn't really play CF until after S-Pod was traded.

I think Sanchez was one of the most overrated Brewers 'young studs' ever. All he could do is steal bases. Gomez is a much better player even now- especially on defense, but if he doesn't get his head screwed on straight, he will be flaming out very shortly.

http://brewersbeat.mlblog...z_wants_cf_job_back.html

This whole article just makes me laugh. Here's the best quote from Gomez...

"The season is not done yet. I only have [246] at-bats, and when you get a couple games of two, three base hits, then you're hitting .260. I'm not going to say I've had a bad year because you can go two, three games 2-for-4, 3-for-4, and then you're hitting .260 and that's not a bad year."

He also isn't very good at math apparently. He'd have to go 11 for his next 11 just to get to .260. 2-4 and 3-4 in a few games isn't gonna do it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

http://baseballanalysts.c...0/08/countbased_line.php

Count Runs/PA

3&0 0.207

3&1 0.137

2&0 0.097

3&2 0.062

2&1 0.035

1&0 0.034

0&0 0.000

1&1 -0.016

2&2 -0.037

0&1 -0.043

1&2 -0.083

0&2 -0.104

It is pretty easy to see just how much poor strike zone recognition/control hurts a player. It really doesn't matter how talented you are if you are always behind in the count you won't be a good hitter.

Archived