Brewer Fanatic

Brewers mulling Gomez options -- Latest: Activated from DL

PrinceEatMeat

http://milwaukee.brewers....p;fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

I was just wondering this. Can't the Brewers just leave Gomez on the DL until September. I thought 20-day rehab assignments were allowed. I don't know why they have to use one of his options to keep him in AAA until September.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just wondering this. Can't the Brewers just leave Gomez on the DL until September. I thought 20-day rehab assignments were allowed. I don't know why they have to use one of his options to keep him in AAA until September.

If he's healthy he can petition to be activated. Still wouldn't waste his option, option down McClendon instead if it comes to it.

If he's healthy he can petition to be activated. Still wouldn't waste his option, option down McClendon instead if it comes to it.

Thanks for the clarification on that.

This Cain/Gomez situation kind of reminds me of a scenario that happened in I believe, 1991. Simply put, Carlos Gomez=Tiny Felder and Lorenzo Cain= Darryl Hamilton. Felder ended up getting cut in spring training. Gomez is a little younger than Felder was then, has more upside than Felder did, and has shown a little bit more in his career, but not much. I just don't see the value in keeping Gomez around on the bench, and 'small sample' notwithstanding, Cain looks like the real deal. My guess is that Gomez gets flipped before opening day next year, or starts the season in Nashville.

pingman]using the option seems logical....

If Gomez does well in AAA it would help his trade value....or help convince Melvin that he belongs in the plans for next year

The point is that it will be using an option for like 10 days. It makes little sense to waste it for that reason.

NYChez wrote:

He's not that worse than Franklin Gutierrez, is he?

About one win worth of offense over a full season worth of PA.
So he's one win worth of offense worse than the 2nd best position player on the Mariners. He's got to have some trade value.

Mmm...mulling...

Unless they're trying to make a point, they'll probably just option down McClendon. At this point, I'm really really hoping to see Gomez start next season in AAA.

I agree. It makes no sense wasting an option when they can simply send down the 13th pitcher until September call-ups. They may never need to use the second option, but why waste it in a situation like this? At least this shows that there is a chance he would start next year in AAA. If he takes the hint and changes his mindset/approach at the plate, he could still be a very valueable commodity.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm with you guys, why waste the option for such a short time. They could even send Cain down for a short time if they felt they were that desperate to keep an extra pitcher, but they shouldn't have to. With the extra days off here, they should be fine to Sept 1 so sending down a 13th pitcher makes more sense.

I'd also like to see Gomez in AAA next year. He's got plenty of tools, but seems to lack the maturity of Cain. Maybe he's been pushed too fast given his tools. At this point he may have lost a great deal of his trade value, so why not have him try and grow up in AAA next year. He wouldn't be taking up any high prospect's spot with Cain in Milwaukee.

I can't believe people are suggesting wasting an option of a useful player like McClendon to bring up an absolutly useless player like Gomez. McClendon earned his way here by dominating AAA. Gomez, not surprisingly, has a 717 OPS in AAA.

Also, Nashville's season runs through September 6th this year. Gomez can play fulltime there. He should not be a September 1st call-up. What for? Are we in a race? Even if we were, he doesn't help us. If he earns a call-up after the 6th, I'd consider it, but that shouldn't eveb be a sure thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

It seems to me that the Brewers wouldn't be wasting an option at all. If a player is in the minors for less than 20 days, no option is used. He accrues Major League service time instead.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It seems to me that the Brewers wouldn't be wasting an option at all. If a player is in the minors for less than 20 days, no option is used. He accrues Major League service time instead.
That was the whole J.J. Hardy thing last year - 20 days in the minors.

The whole "wasting an option" thing is a moot point, really: He has 2 options left. If those two remaining options are used this year & next, it'd be 2012 before he's out of options. At that point, he's either earned a secure spot on the roster by then -- at which point they'd not even consider sending him down anyway -- OR played his way out of Milwaukee long before then. Either way, I'm pretty doggone sure that Gomez having no options left won't be a problem for the 2012 Milwaukee Brewers.

The Sounds are playing a doubleheader today, and Gomez wasn't in the starting lineup for the night cap, but entered the game later on in a double switch. Makes me wonder if this means that he found out that he's staying down in AAA. You'd think he'd be heading back to Milwaukee by now if he was coming.

I can't believe people are suggesting wasting an option of a useful player like McClendon to bring up an absolutly useless player like Gomez. McClendon earned his way here by dominating AAA. Gomez, not surprisingly, has a 717 OPS in AAA.

Also, Nashville's season runs through September 6th this year. Gomez can play fulltime there. He should not be a September 1st call-up. What for? Are we in a race? Even if we were, he doesn't help us. If he earns a call-up after the 6th, I'd consider it, but that shouldn't eveb be a sure thing.

That part I put in bold is far from the truth, although I would love to see Cain start to say Gomez is useless is wrong.

Let's keep in mind that Gomez is younger than Gamel and just 4 months older than Cain. The difference is Cain has about 1,000 more minor league AB's. Gomez, who never put up big offensive numbers in the minors, was rushed to the big leagues. It's tough learning your craft in the pressure cooker of the majors. Some do it. Many do not. I'd hold on to him into next year, have him play everyday at AAA and hope he rebuilds some value by putting up some good numbers. His talent is obvious. It needs more refinement.

Briggs, I think you're right on several points, esp. that he could probably use a full year of everyday play in AAA (and maybe the humbling that would help major league coaching he's been getting finally sink in to make a difference).

On the other hand, there seems to be an Alex Sanchez-like hard-headedness to embrace the tools that are his strongest (mainly speed) and figure out how to capitalize on them. If he could hit remotely like Rickey Henderson (good BA & lots of walks, mainly -- he already thinks he's a 20-HR hitter), he could be an absolute terror to pitching staffs league-wide. But the problem is, 3 years into his MLB career, he still swings at everything, doesn't see enough pitches or take enough walks, and hits way too many fly balls -- he still looks like he's trying to hit too many HRs.

It'd be one thing if Gomez has shown any real growth along those lines. But as a previous poster noted, he's flat-lined if not even regressed. Hmmmm....

I agree with Briggs. I'd also add that being brought up to the majors at a young age could lead to a sense of entitlement, which could explain why he's seemingly been unwilling to change his approach. If that is the case, an extended stay in AAA could be a wake up call for him. It's good to see the Brewers are at least attempting to take a stand in telling Gomez he either changes his approach or he doesn't play in the majors. It's all up to Gomez now.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived