Brewer Fanatic

Derrek Lee Traded to the Braves

Bombers

Lopez supposedly has electric stuff & is a decent prospect.... but he's not having a good year at class A-Rome: 3-8 4.37, 1.37 whip & 6.8 K/9

Harris was only recently promoted to AA-Mississippi & is doing better than he did at A+ and A earlier this season..... he's strictly a reliever & throws hard but wasn't considered a top prospect ...2.90 era, 1.21 whip & 10.9 k/9

Lorick also isn't considered a top prospect but came on strong statistically in his 2nd season as a pro ...more of one of those "crafty" southpaws than a hard thrower 3-6 2.24, 1.22 whip, 7.4 k/9

....none of these prospects are close to major league ready

The Braves also received cash in the deal..... Glaus will probably go on the DL on Friday; his knees are shot

Lee is on the cusp of becoming a Type A. even if he stays a B, it sounds like i'd rather have the sandwich pick than these three prospects.

it probably means nothing, but i wonder if this is an indication that Chicago isn't going to try hard to resign Lee next year. i was hoping they would, not just because he's a declining player, but because Chicago resigning him ups Fielder's market.

There's no way the Braves can afford Lee in 2011 & I'm sure they will NOT offer arbitration.....

The Braves payroll is nearly the same as the Brewers after peaking over $100mm not too many years ago.....that's the rub ....and their reason for literally "giving away" the likes of Vazquez, and Rafael Soriano

...also the Braves want to make room for Freddie Freeman at 1B in 2011

I can see it now. Fielder in a Cubs uniform. Great.

Yea, it would be. I would love to see him in his 30's trying to man first base weighing close to 300.

Unless Prince goes somewhere in an ideal situation (DH, spot starts at first), I think the Brewers had Prince during his prime years.

I can see it now. Fielder in a Cubs uniform. Great.

The Brewers still have a year of control over Fielder, and they will not trade Prince to the Cubs. The Cubs will need a 1B for 2011, so they will probably sign a FA, which would likely take them out of the hunt for Prince in FA for 2012.

Not sure how good those pitchers are, hopefully not good at all

I wonder how this deal stacks up to the ones Lee voided prior to the deadline. In other words, did Lee screw over the Cubs and cause them to get less return in trade. I've always heard he's a great guy, and that would make me really like him :-)

There's no way the Braves can afford Lee in 2011 & I'm sure they will NOT offer arbitration.....

Agreed that the Braves probably won't offer arby. Even if they could afford it, he probably isn't worth what he'd get if he accepted arby. Assuming Fielder is traded this offseason, Lee is someone I wouldn't mind seeing the Brewers take a shot at if they can't land Dunn or Konerko. After a down season, he may be able to be signed fairly cheaply this offseason.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Cubs are trimming payroll and going with as much youth as possible for now. Though he's not very young, they might even look at former Mariner Bryan LaHair at 1B. He's kind of a AAAA type but he's had his best ever year at AAA this year. With Soriano still owed $18 million per year through 2014, I doubt the Cubs will get in the Fielder bidding. Besides, they need pitching probably even worse than the Brewers do and I'd expect them to be using their cash on arms.

monty57 wrote:

Agreed that the Braves probably won't offer arby. Even if they could afford it, he probably isn't worth what he'd get if he accepted arby. Assuming Fielder is traded this offseason, Lee is someone I wouldn't mind seeing the Brewers take a shot at if they can't land Dunn or Konerko. After a down season, he may be able to be signed fairly cheaply this offseason.

There's no way the Brewers will be going after any of those 3 first baseman. Either Gamel or Hart will be taking over 1b when we trade Fielder.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

There's no way the Brewers will be going after any of those 3 first baseman. Either Gamel or Hart will be taking over 1b when we trade Fielder.

Small sample alert, but the .722 OPS Hart has been hitting since the All Star game (.670 in August) is oddly reminiscent of 2008. If we simply go status quo on offense and assume that we can replace Fielder with Gamel and all will be well, I think we'll be disappointed in our offense next year.

Our pitching will arguably be better if we get someone for Prince in a trade, but a slightly better rotation mixed with a worse offense and equal defense will not add up to even a decent year next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

monty57]
monty57 wrote:

Small sample alert, but the .722 OPS Hart has been hitting since the All Star game (.670 in August) is oddly reminiscent of 2008. If we simply go status quo on offense and assume that we can replace Fielder with Gamel and all will be well, I think we'll be disappointed in our offense next year.

Our pitching will arguably be better if we get someone for Prince in a trade, but a slightly better rotation mixed with a worse offense and equal defense will not add up to even a decent year next year.

Not saying I'm against a free agent signing for 1b, just saying that it won't happen.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If we simply go status quo on offense and assume that we can replace Fielder with Gamel and all will be well, I think we'll be disappointed in our offense next year.

I think you're overlooking how much room rookies like Escobar and LuCroy have to grow.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If we simply go status quo on offense and assume that we can replace Fielder with Gamel and all will be well, I think we'll be disappointed in our offense next year.

I think you're overlooking how much room rookies like Escobar and LuCroy have to grow.

That and the idea that this offense could probably stand to lose Prince and not fall off all that much. They're currently 2nd in the NL in runs scored with Prince and Braun both having "off" years. Sure, they might not be a Top 3 offense anymore without Prince, but they're still likely going to be above average.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yeah, they'll take a hit without Fielder. And Hart will probably regress a bit. But, there's room for better years at C, SS, LF, and CF, improved defense, and improved pitching. Even without Fielder, it's unlikely that the offense will be worse than average.

Robert

And how much of an improvement Dickerson and Cain will be over all the AB's Gomez had this season.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Yeah, they'll take a hit without Fielder. And Hart will probably regress a bit. But, there's room for better years at C, SS, LF, and CF, improved defense, and improved pitching. Even without Fielder, it's unlikely that the offense will be worse than average.

Robert

The biggest hope is that, for the 1st time in years, Melvin's FA signings will total up to be above replacement level. Thats not asking too much with $20-30 million to spend, is it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The Brewers still have a year of control over Fielder, and they will not trade Prince to the Cubs. The Cubs will need a 1B for 2011, so they will probably sign a FA, which would likely take them out of the hunt for Prince in FA for 2012.

Unless they sign a one-year stopgap, with a longer-term plan to target Fielder. I'd be surprised if the Cubs weren't one of the leading bidders on Prince come his free agency.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The biggest hope is that, for the 1st time in years, Melvin's FA signings will total up to be above replacement level.

2008?

Per Bref WAR

Kendall 2

Cameron 3.3

Kapler 1.5

Branyan .9

Riske -.3

Gagne -.5

Tavarez -.7

Archived