Brewer Fanatic

Barret Loux

Quote from Yahoo's Jeff Passan:

"In the Diamondbacks’ eyes, Loux is damaged goods. Their medical staff’s customary MRI on Loux’s arm turned up two red flags. The first: Loux has a tear in his labrum, a shoulder injury that has ended careers. The second: Loux’s elbow, which had bone chips taken out in 2009, showed signs of eventually needing Tommy John surgery."

So, that's why he failed his physical. I imagine he'll be in no position to ask for 2 mil. I say, offer shy of 1 mil once he's a FA, and if he accepts, get him his surgery and hope he recovers. If not, move on.

The weird quirk is that as the rare FA prospect he almost certainly has way more value to the market then the D-backs. Given his health he's probably only worth a couple hundred thousand vs. just taking the comp pick next year. On the other hand he's still a 1st round talent and even knowing he might have to sit out a year plus as a high schooler that's not such a bad deal from the team perspective.

The weird quirk is that as the rare FA prospect he almost certainly has way more value to the market then the D-backs. Given his health he's probably only worth a couple hundred thousand vs. just taking the comp pick next year. On the other hand he's still a 1st round talent and even knowing he might have to sit out a year plus as a high schooler that's not such a bad deal from the team perspective.
I wonder if the D-backs would still receive the compensatory pick if they sign him after he becomes a Free Agent? I'm guessing given how unique this situation is, the commissioners office would step in and do something as they can't get the #6 pick for a guy they eventually ended up signing, but the D-backs could argue, "hey, this isn't the kid we thought we were getting with the 6th overall pick".

I could see a compromise being made giving them the 1st supplemental 1st round pick, but that's really just a guess as I have no idea. In fact, it's possible they're not allowed to sign him.

Anyone know for certain?

And I'd gladly offer him 800K and have him have the surgeries right now. Count on him as a developmental pick and look at him as a '11 draft pick almost. When you're throwing out 30 million for Randy Wolf's, it really does show how much more sense it makes to take the risks in the draft than to keep doling out that money. Which is why I wish we'd cut our payroll 10 million, at least while we're not expected to win like this year and next, and just grab all the Scooter Gennett's, Del Howell's, Gibson's, we can.

I would think 2-3 years of doing that, going after guys like Stetson Allie in the 2nd, and the aforementioned guys later on in the draft could potentially give us a windfall of talented young prospects. Of course that will never happen, but I still maintain that if small market teams truly want to compete with the big boy's, the draft is the place to spend as the discrepancy between the Yankee's and Sox vs the small market teams is relative peanuts compared with the discrepancy in the Free Agent market.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

As a true FA, he'll probably get about 75% of his slot, despite injuries. $1.5M would be my guess, and it would not surprise me for him to get more. It only takes one team with extra cash on hand or a positive injury report to get him far more than you'd think.

A signing team would control his rights as they would a draftee. So it's not a typical free agent. Could be a good signing for '11 and beyond, as in '11 he likely wouldn't pitch, but by '12 he'd be in A-ball with potential as a quick riser

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No news reported on the Loux situation in over a month now. I'm really curious to see where he winds up going.

EDIT: Wrong, just found a tweet from Jim Callis on Nov. 1st: Was told today that a Barret Loux deal isn't imminent. Jibes with what I'm hearing from clubs as well.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived