Brewer Fanatic

2011 General Draft Discussion

Matt Barnes or Archie Bradley are your guys then. Heck they could

probably get both if they wanted to forgo taking a bat in the first

round.

I would be thrilled with this scenario. I'd also be thrilled with Guerrieri in there somewhere. While I have wavered for a long time now on what combination to pick in terms of hitters vs pitchers, I think in a draft that is so strong in pitching and so weak with top level non outfield bats you have to select two pitchers. One college and one HS would be ideal, but either way we need to make sure both of them sign. Unless Lindnor somehow falls, I'd love to see Guerrieri at 12 and Barnes at 15.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just noticed that Matt Purke is coming back to pitch this week. If he looks good and feels OK, is there any chance that the Brewers look at him with one of their picks? The talent is certainly there it's just a question of health. I hate to see yet another example of a team like Boston being able to take a chance of a talented but injured player because of all the extra picks they were handed.

On another note. What are the chances Milwaukee takes two HS pitchers? Obviously HS pitchers are risky but they tend to come with a higher ceiling. If they select Guerrieri at 12 and then Archie Bradley is still around at 15 do they consider taking him? Or even a guy like Daniel Norris who may not command as high of a signing bonus? Two HS pitchers with high ceiling would be exciting to follow for the next couple of years.

I just noticed that Matt Purke is coming back to pitch this week. If he looks good and feels OK, is there any chance that the Brewers look at him with one of their picks? The talent is certainly there it's just a question of health. I hate to see yet another example of a team like Boston being able to take a chance of a talented but injured player because of all the extra picks they were handed.

On another note. What are the chances Milwaukee takes two HS pitchers? Obviously HS pitchers are risky but they tend to come with a higher ceiling. If they select Guerrieri at 12 and then Archie Bradley is still around at 15 do they consider taking him? Or even a guy like Daniel Norris who may not command as high of a signing bonus? Two HS pitchers with high ceiling would be exciting to follow for the next couple of years.

If the Brewers draft Archie Bradley, then they would draft him 12th because of his high asking price

No way do they take Bradley at 15, it could be a wasted pick. I really hope they go 2 HS Pitchers. Need some nice high ceiling pitchers to mix in with Joel Pierce for that next wave. If we get Guerrieri and Norris I may end up streaking naked in excitement! Best case scenerio to me

Obviously, if they go HS arm, it will be in the #12 slot. I am completely turned off by Guerreri because of the character issue, as well as the fact that he is considered a "helium" guy. Guy's like that tend to flame out very fast. The whole third pitch thing for me scares me away from him too. Strike 3. If it were me, and Bradley were available, he is my choice at 12. I dont mind Norris, but the only way I go with him is if Bradley and Bundy are already gone. Blake Swihart and Josh Bell are probably available too for 12, so although I wouldnt mind Norris, there are at least 3 other HS players in front of him who would be better picks.

I think you will be hard pressed to see the Brewers picking a HS player with the #15 pick. Just the fact that they could lose it if he doesn't sign seems enough to scare them off.

Feels like they go best talent available at #12 and college pitcher at #15. Matt Barnes could very well be the guy at #15, and that seems like solid value there, even if Bradley is still available. I've seen him as high as 8 and as low as 20.

Lindor would be awesome at #12, I just don't know if he falls there.

It was either on this thread or another where I raised concerns about the Brewers, for lack of better terms, cheaping out with their second pick and not taking the BPA. If someone like Guerrieri is still around at 15 and we pass because we don't want to fork over the extra million bucks or so I'm gonna be mad. This draft is as important as any draft in recent memory because the system is so bad and the draft is so deep. You can't pass up on the most talented player because you don't want to pay what it takes to sign him. Most people seem to think that this is the last draft before some sort of hard slotting is instituted so it'll probably be cheaper to sign players next year. Plus they didn't spend first round money last season. If ever there is a year to draft two high ceiling HS arms, this is it.

I don't see them scared to pay a guy like Guerrieri, he will want a good amount but doesn't have the leverage of a Bradley or Starling. I think it is guys like those two or the ones who are assertive they want to pitch in college and will demand Purke type money. Also BPA doesn't go by what PG, BA, or any other site but who the team scouts fell is the best ( hence brewer reaches on Fielder, Braun, LaPorta and Rogers over Homer Bailey) Never know until you look back years down road. So maybe a Greene pick at 15 or another guy who seems to be a safe pick, to the Brewers scouts that kid may project much higher.

I can't say it enough, I beg Seid to go young. We need more Jeffress, Rogers, Lawrie, Odorizzi, Scarpetta, and etc type picks and talent. This system is deperate for young prospects compared to 22-24 year olds filling all the spots on our rookie A, A+ levels

TLB brings up a good point, although crazier things have happened. I talked to someone yesterday that Lindor won't make it past the top 5 overall picks, and could go as high as 2nd overall to the Mariners.

I'll have a mock draft up at PG later today, keep your eyes open for it.

That must be pending who the Pirates go with, because it would seem really odd for Seattle to go with Lindor over Rendon.

My friend is a huge Mariners fan, and from the sounds of things from his end, Seattle likes Rendon if he's there at #2. Well, at least he wants them to take him, lol.

Yeah, Rendon's shoulder is a huge concern. Boras of course isn't releasing that info for leverage purposes. And taking Lindor over Rendon isn't that odd. Rendon hasn't looked as sharp this year as he did last year, and there is a growing concern that his nagging injuries are going to be a long-term issue.

Here's the link to the mock. Enjoy:

http://www.perfectgame.or...s/View.aspx?article=5677

Hey Colby would be very very happy if your Mock draft came through for the Crew.

I would be very pleased with Barnes, but really upset with Meyer, especially if they passed on Bradley, Bell or Swihart (at the 12 pick) to take him (Meyer). I think Meyer is another Eric Arnett waiting to happen.

I don't think Michael is a reach at 15 at all. I wouldn't be shocked if the D Backs pick him with their unprotected pick at 7th overall. From what I hear Michael is comparable with Stephen Drew with a little less power but should hit for a higher average.

If he can stick at SS would Milwaukee consider taking him? It seems to be what they'd be looking for. A college player, probably a little cheaper and more signable than a HS arm? Assuming he can hit he could move up rather quickly with nobody blocking him.

Archived