Brewer Fanatic

2011 General Draft Discussion

The last thing i have seen from Jungmann is polish. Bad mechanics, secondary pitches are far from finished products, fastballs have life but control is an issue. In college you can get away with being lively and having kids swing at balls, not so much as he progresses to MLB. Yes awesome college stats, no one needs to throw them out there but i got to watch 3-4 starts this season and he has potential to be good but he is far from polished.

Personally I like Bradley much better as a prospect as well as think he is much more important to sign. Hes south paw, unprotected, cleaner mechanics, can control/ throw 4 pitches in any count, and to me has the high ceiling lower floor. Not to forget the really arrogent vibe i have gotten from everything i have read and watched (interviews of Jungmann). Bradley was a no one 3 years ago topping out at 85 in high school and I love that. Shows how far he has come and that he still has room to continue to grow as player.

Still both sign, 99.99998% sure of it. I love the idea of Rodon, Amaral, McFarland, and Mallex Smith over Jungmann however. To me those are 4 nice prospects who may in 3 years be top prospects with just as high of ceilings. Rodon is already a top 100-150 guy, I have a felling McFarland will sky rocket up boards at Rice. Amaral has plenty of upside and Smith is another exciting athlete like a Richardson and Dowell.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nader, you propose an interesting idea. I would probably let Jungmann slide if I could be guaranteed of those other 4 signing. I'm all for ponying up the cash and signing all of our top picks through Rd 20. The only way to improve your farm system is by putting talent in there. I have always been a proponent of spending on the draft and will always be. Spend money to get good scouts, spend money to get the best players, spend money to get good facilities/trainers and spend money to get good coaches. We need to have a solid foundation built from the farm system. I would be curious to know how much we spend a year on all of the above mentioned expenses for the farm system. Use that to compare to what we spend on MLB talent.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

I hope Seid guessed right on this draft, considering that there were seemingly better players still left on the board, such as Barnes, Gray, and Guerrieri (best player available philosophy?). Arnett turned out to be a fiasco and Covey isn't doing well in college. I don't have an optimistic view on Jungmann with his mechanics and his lack of stuff. I'm more optimistic on Jed Bradley, but I heard that his slider will need a lot of work.

In the title of the designated draft thread that gives information on each Brewer draft pick it states what the top two picks signed for and the 18th pick. What about all the rest? I opened up the thread expecting to see this information on each pick and it was not there. So, I was curious as to why the 18th pick's signing amount was listed in the title and not others. Is that a large amount for an 18th rounder? I have no idea and would be curious to find out what all the other picks that were signed got.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The 18th round pick's price tag was listed because the 18th rounder just signed. Anyway, since you asked so nicely...

1a. Jungmann: $2.525M

1b. Bradley: $2M

2. Lopez: $690K

3. Gagnon: $340K

4. Ramirez: $213.3K

5. Reed: $500K

6. Keller: $150K

7. Goforth: $100K

8. Houke: $150K

9. Dowell: $100K

10. Strong: $25K

18. McFarland: $315K

27. Thompson: $100K

That's all we know.

Thanks for the info! However, now I'm really confused. It does seem like $315K for the 18th rounder is high. It would seem logical to me that the signing bonuses would decrease as the rounds got later. While there is a general trend that way, if I'm the 10th pick I have to be scratching my head and wondering how 18 and 27 got so much more than me. How did 18 get more than twice that of 6 through 10? How is that justified?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Many HS players with strong commitments to college will drop much farther. The Brewers have drafted many guys in the late teens over the years (Gennett, Howell) and give them bigger bonuses to lure them away from college. Then, if they don't sign, it doesn't hurt as much to lose an 18th round draft pick instead of the 3-4th round where he might normally been drafted.

Which leads to my question: And speculation on where McFarland would have been drafted if not for the Rice commitment? Does the 3rd round seem right?

IIRC, McFarland's bonus was slot value for the 103rd overall pick, which is in the early-mid 3rd round. If signability weren't a constraint with him, he would have gone in the top 5ish rounds, I think. Maybe Patrick can provide a better answer on that.

How did 18 get more than twice that of 6 through 10?

Much more so than the NFL or NBA drafts, players drop in the MLB draft because they're regarded as tough signs. A lot of this has to do with the lack of hard contract slotting in the baseball draft. First round talent can drop way past even the 18th round.

You guys figured right, 3rd-5th round grade on McFarland without the Rice commitment. Nice addition for the money/round, and continued proof that while the Brewers don't break the bank on any one player, they do find a way to add a player like McFarland each and every year as they did with Gennett and Howell as noted above.

Archived