Brewer Fanatic

2011 General Draft Discussion

Since we didn't get CJ Cron, it now opens the door for his clone, his young brother Kevin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phillies take Larry Greene in Supp round. I assume he would've been in consideration for Brewers' 2nd round pick. I didn't love him, so I'm not disappointed.

Agreed. Who do you like for round 2? Trevor Story? Is Kyle Winkler still available? Ryan Wright?

I don't know which high schoolers actually project to stay at short but Julius Gaines is still available. I really like Carl Thomore, HS, OF from New Jersey. Charlie Tilson might be a possibility. Also Matt Dean, HS, 3b sounds promising. As far as high school arms I like what I've read about Cody Kukuk and Cole Wiper.

Kyle Winkler left a regional game this weekend after 12 pitches clutching his arm. He might now be a guy you take a flyer on real late.

Kyle Winkler left a regional game this weekend after 12 pitches clutching his arm. He might now be a guy you take a flyer on real late.

Wow, sucks for him. I guess he should have took the money we offered him in HS http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

X, I'm really curious where you're getting this. Every mock I can recall seeing had Jed Bradley gone before 15. He has a decent 4-pitch mix by MLB standards -- at 21, at the outset of his career. How does a player like that not get slot, profile not to make the majors, top out as a #4 . . . ? You guys are really smart, so I'm not asking this rhetorically, but where's the bad dirt on Bradley coming from?
Bradley has a career ERA over 4 1/2. I'm not sure why some think his stuff is so good. If he has decent stuff why doesn't he use it to get people out? Top pitchers dominate college baseball, he hasn't.
He struck out 106 in 98 innings playing in the ACC.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Jeff Sackmann: Jungmann would've been my pick for the Brewers as well. Absolute groundball machine. Not far from the big leagues.

Not for the Brewers. He'll be stuck in Helena for most of the remainder of the season, get sent to A- at the most, then repeat there next season. Of course they won't skip levels at all, so at best it'll be A to AA in 2013. Then maybe AAA in 2014 with a Sept. callup. Maybe I'm being melodramatic, but I'm sick of the Brewers moving guys so slowly.

My official almost 1am reaction to the first two picks: Umm... yay?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Since we didn't get CJ Cron, it now opens the door for his clone, his young brother Kevin.

Kevin just drafted by Seattle at 92. Would've liked to have had him but there are questions about his D. I guess defense hasn't stopped the Brewers this year so it probably wouldn't have mattered.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Law was pretty down-the-middle on these two picks. He described Jungmann as "being able to pitch behing Greinke and Gallardo" in the rotation with "#2 upside".

That's good enough for me! If Law has them above a relief pitcher ranking, then you might as well start filling out their HOF ballots now. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

There appears to have been quite a bit of concern over Guerrieri's character. I can't believe he lasted until #24. The Rays look like they got a guy with top-10 type of upside in most drafts there.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Law was pretty down-the-middle on these two picks. He described Jungmann as "being able to pitch behing Greinke and Gallardo" in the rotation with "#2 upside".

That's good enough for me! If Law has them above a relief pitcher ranking, then you might as well start filling out their HOF ballots now. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I thought the exact same thing. It's pretty hard to find one guy that Law is ambivalent on, let alone two.

Since we all know we will be snagging a couple of Canadians in the draft here is a nice site to check out: http://www.canadianbaseba...ork.com/draft-list/2011/

So of the most interesting guys I have found on the list are:

Tom Robson: 6'4 200 lbs RHP, top prospect in Canada. Doesn't throw to hard but has overall good stuff. Is projected to go 3-6 rd

Dustin Houle: Another Catcher-3B prospect from the Langely Blazers. Is suppose to have a pretty solid bat and is rated number 2 for HS pitchers.

Cory Scammell 6'5 200 OF. "Pro body now with projection ... Arm is below average now but will be a plus in pros ... Has loft in swing and power to all fields but is raw ... May go faster and further than anyone in draft" Seems to have a ton of upside.

Vaughn Coverington: 6'4 210 RHP. Pitches 90-92 but had TJ Surgery in 2010. If not for the injury may be considered the top prep Canadian pitcher in the draft.

Jalen Harris- 6'2 210 3B Prospect. Outstanding defensive 3B with good hands, feet and arm. He lacks fundamental approach at plate but has good hand quickness, natural loft and bat speed. Once he masters weight transfer look out Effortless arm, Runs a 6.8. Is an okay pitcher (some may look at him there) The weight transfer and watch out part reminds me of Jose Batistau.

Trevor Gretsky-Dual citizen but lives and plays in California, and is a 6'4 205 1B prospect who happens to be the son of the "Great One," is a guy I think could be a good snag. Commited to SDST so tough sign 356th on PG top 500 HS list, 42nd on California's top 116 HS list.

I posted this when I went over the top Canadian high school players. Two in bold are the two we drafted Harris has already signed. Ton of upside!

John Sickels did a review of the Brewers' draft at Minor League Ball. Couple noteworthy excerpts:

1) Taylor Jungmann, RHP, Texas: Dominant college hurler with

low-to-mid-90s fastball and good slider. Needs to improve changeup

consistency but has the aptitude. Great feel for pitching, mechanics are

unusual but he eats innings.

1) Jed Bradley, LHP, Georgia Tech: Although velocity fluctuates and his

stock dropped late, he's got ideal size at 6-4, 225, a great delivery, a

plus slider, and a solid changeup. Like Jungmann, he won't need a lot

of minor league time.

This next one got me really excited about Lopez's potential
2) Jorge Lopez, RHP, Puerto Rico HS: Super-projectable, already hits low

90s, throws strikes, excellent breaking ball, clean delivery. Will need

longer in the minors than the top two guys, but his ultimate upside may

be higher. I love this pick.

Hey kids! An actual report on Malcolm Dowell!
9) Malcom Dowell, OF, Georgia HS: Raw athlete, very fast, small at 5-10,

170, but another guy who will need a lot of development time. Committed

to Gulf Coast CC, should be signable.

SUMMARY: The Brewers need everything in a weak farm system, and the

strategy was clear: load up on advanced college arms, then mix in some

high schoolers with upside who will need time. I really love pitcher

Jorge Lopez out of Puerto Rico; he'll need some patience, but he could

end up being better than Jungmann and Bradley in the long run if he

reaches his full potential. If they have the money, it would be an even

better class if they can sign Rodon, Amaral, and/or Kimbell out of

college ball.

I'm thinking it's gonna be very important for the Brewers to spend, spend, spend. It'll get a lot easier to get excited about this class when signings start happening, especially if we can get a couple of those late-round high schoolers.

Thia I

Bradley sucked this year. Awful selection. Another Jimmy Nelson.

Well this is a bit more than a little ridiculous...

Quite a few pretty reputable scouts had him in the top 10 available talents, so writting a power lefty odf at this juncture is absolutley absurd.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Neither here nor there, but I just wanted to point out that this is the second time in five years the Brewers have drafted a Texas high schooler named Michael Reed/Reid. Michael "Chase" Reid was their 42nd-round pick in 2007.

• 3 weeks later...
Is anyone else concerned that the Brewers have just less than half of their draft picks signed? I understand that they won’t sign all of them, but 25 of 51? I’m holding out hope that their signing a bunch of these guys over slot and have to wait ‘til the end of the signing period for the league to approve the deals. With the Brewers poor farm system at the moment, why would they not go out and spend a ton of money on this draft, especially the high upside HS players?

• 1 month later...

Something I've been playing around with in my head since I heard that Jungman was looking for 3.5 to 4 million dollars, so I would like to see what you all have to say.

Would the Brewers system look better signing Jungman for 2.75 million or would it look better taking somewhere around that amount of money and signing Rodon, Amaral and McFarland and getting the 12 pick next year?

So assuming the Brewers only have the static amount of money to spend in the draft is it better to go all in with the fast rising near ready, or would it be better to try and just get as many high ceiling players into the system?

I wouldn't mind the Brewers signing Rodon, Amaral, and McFarland and passing on Jungmann because although Jungmann is very polished and is a quick-to-the-majors kind of guy, he profiles as a mid-rotation starter. Considering that the Brewers will get more draft picks when Fielder leaves and if the Brewers offer arby to K-Rod, along with their original pick for the 2012 draft, passing on Jungmann would only add to an already seemingly bountiful draft. However, I think there is a 99% chance that Jungmann signs.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying that Jungman isn't the highest ceiling player of the bunch at least right no. The other players at this point I would argue have undetermined ceilings. For me it is a simple internal debate about going with 3 riskier yet players or one singular player closer to being major league ready.

I'll also admit it is partially because Jungman lacks the, hmm, ?sexiness? to be worthy of an overslot contract. Plus his late season struggles got me nervous. I'm not trying to argue for or against either setup and ideally the Brewers can pull down at least 1 of the Amaral, McFarland, Rodon trio making this completely a moot point.

Archived