Brewer Fanatic

2011 General Draft Discussion

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ESPN.com's Keith Law has posted his latest mock draft and says he hears the Brewers would like to take pitchers with both of their first-round picks tonight.

Law has the Brewers taking Texas right-hander Taylor Jungmann at No. 12 and Vanderbilt's Sonny Gray at No. 15, with the possibility of Oregon lefty Tyler Anderson instead.

Jungmann and Gray are two of the college pitchers I've heard associated with the Brewers in recent days. If they go for Anderson, it will be more of a "safe" pick because the 15th pick is unprotected as compensation for not signing Dylan Covey last year. That's not to say Anderson isn't a quality pitcher but most rankings have him rated lower than 15th.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/123240273.html

I still think they're high on Guerrieri. It's looking like he'll be more likely to be there at 15 then Gray at this point as well. As far as Baez and Lindor, I still think I like Lindor's upside more but who knows. Perhaps Baez could stick at SS and he clearly has more upside with his bat which would make him better in the long run. Either one is fine with me honestly.

And just a side note, I realize we're short at SS and 3B, and many other positions but organizationally SS is our weakest link, and those holding out hope for Yadiel Rivera should keep on hoping. He's a long ways away.

I've been internally debating this in my head for a few days now so I guess I just wanted to get your opinions on this. With the rumors of changes being made to the draft hard slotting being the main thing, would this not be a good year to take some risks and try and pay over slot value if a Dylan Bundy, Starling, Hurltzen or Bradley falls to the Brewers. Assuming the Brewers would be willing to pay over slot, in the range of top 3 to top 5 money, wouldn't the Brewers have nice leverage over the player? With the rumors of potentially having true set in stone draft pick slot values set in place, isn't the players leverage diminished? Sure they can enter the draft again, but they could potentially be entering a draft where they would have no ability to get over slot value.

I have settled on Baez and Gray as the ideal picks. I just don't know if Lindor will hit at all. If anyone thinks they can change my mind on Lindor's bat, please attempt...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I also would love Baez and Cron.

i don't know much about Lindor, but i have seen comparisons to Soriono which i like. There is still questions on whether Baez can play SS, which if you can get a power hitter at SS its much more valuable than at 3rd, since there are less.

I have settled on Baez and Gray as the ideal picks. I just don't know if Lindor will hit at all. If anyone thinks they can change my mind on Lindor's bat, please attempt...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I also would love Baez and Cron.

I have also settled on Baez and Gray. Gray seems like the kind of player we will love in Milwaukee. Undersized bulldog type is everything I have read about him. I could care less if he isn't 6'4". Looking at a Greinke or Lincecum tells me heart will sometimes overcome the lack of "ideal size", whatever that is.

I would love to see Lindor because as a switch hitting shortstop with outstanding defense, above average bat and 10-15 HR potential, I can't help but thinking of Jose Reyes. However, I think he is likely gone. Everything I've seen about Baez says he can play 3B, while maybe not at a gold glove level, he can be average and is the more advanced hitter. Picking between Lindor and Baez really seems to boil down to preference.

What an interesting scenario if Lindor is available at 12 and Baez at 15...question is do we take both? Better pray the MLB rotation is set up for the next few years then and that at least 2 of Rivas, Peralta, Thornburg and Rogers prove to be legit.

i don't know much about Lindor, but i have seen comparisons to Soriono which i like. There is still questions on whether Baez can play SS, which if you can get a power hitter at SS its much more valuable than at 3rd, since there are less.

I agree, but at the same time, 3b is pretty sad for hitters as well. I'd gladly take a plus hitting/good fielding 3b. They're almost as hard to find as shortstops.

I'm hoping for Baez/Lindor and Gray. I really don't have a preference on Baez/Lindor. I'd be happy with either. I actually wouldn't mind both.

Baseball really needs to stop giving OUT Type A grades for FA like candy. 27 sandwich picks this season is outragious! That is almost a who round worth. Type A FreeAgents should be just that....Type A, elite, Carl Crawford type guys. I knew there were a lot this year but didn't know there was that many. This is why the draft needs so much reform. There should be nomore that 8-12 Type A players.

I forgot when looking for second picks that they will all be gone because Brewers third pick is about a 3rd round pick. No Bichette Jr., Joe Ross, Derek Fisher, Phillip Evans, and etc. But I can live with Lindor/Baez 12/15 combo http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I'm in the Baez/Lindor and Gray pool as well, seems like a solid combo. Although, given the option, I'd prefer Lindor over Baez.

Lindor is young and still has a lot of potential with the bat, besides being an excellent shortstop already. Can't help but think he could be a another Tulo. Obviously that's a stretch since he's never played a game of pro ball, but I'd love a player like that.

I should promise never to think about these things before the draft. I was a Scott Moore guy. A Chris Nelson guy. Travis Snider or Hank Conger. If I start liking a guy, the Brewers Will Not draft him. (Mostly that seems to have been for the best...but I liked Tulo, for whatever that's worth.) Lawrie was the only exception that I can remember...but I've promised myself not to get too wrapped up in this, because it will not go the way I think it should.

But now you guys get me all wrapped up all over again...dang it. Mumble grumble Lindor Baez Gray. Sigh.

For what it's worth, this was an interesting approach to drafting at the top by Jim Bowden.

http://espn.go.com/blog/t...he-gms-role-in-the-draft

He argues that top 5 pitchers are less likely to succeed than top 5 hitters.

Well historically that's always true because pitchers have a high flame out rate due to injury.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived