Brewer Fanatic

Barret Loux will be a free agent on September 1st [Latest: Signs with Rangers]

Hopefully the Brewers get in on this. Yes, he may be hurt, but this would be a great pickup for the Brewers or any team for that matter.

"We have reached an agreement regarding Barret Loux’s status that is mutually beneficial to the parties. Today Commissioner Selig has announced that Loux will become a free agent on September 1. As such, he will be free to sign with any Major League Club at that time. In addition, the Arizona Diamondbacks will receive a Supplemental Selection in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft. The agreement also provides an opportunity for the Commissioner’s Office and the Players Association globally to the address the issues that can arise from questions concerning a drafted player’s health. Given the private nature of the underlying disagreement here, neither party will be making any further public comments about this situation."

Link

Hopefully the Brewers get in on this. Yes, he may be hurt, but this would be a great pickup for the Brewers or any team for that matter.

"We have reached an agreement regarding Barret Loux’s status that is mutually beneficial to the parties. Today Commissioner Selig has announced that Loux will become a free agent on September 1. As such, he will be free to sign with any Major League Club at that time. In addition, the Arizona Diamondbacks will receive a Supplemental Selection in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft. The agreement also provides an opportunity for the Commissioner’s Office and the Players Association globally to the address the issues that can arise from questions concerning a drafted player’s health. Given the private nature of the underlying disagreement here, neither party will be making any further public comments about this situation."

Link

I agree 100%. Take some of the Covey money and put it toward this kid. I don't really have any idea what he'd be looking for, but I'd take a run at him.

Failing that, I would invest some of Covey's money in Latin America.

I agree that Loux makes a lot of sense to pursue, as long as he checks out medically. He reportedly had a slight tear in his labrum and some elbow issues, which are huge red flags, but his profile fits what the Brewers supposedly like these days in pitchers (big and strong physique, good fastball velo/command and a promising breaking ball), and he reportedly was one of the college arms the Brewers were interested prior to the draft. I seem to remember the D-Backs signing him quickly for something like $1.6M before he failed his physical, and I'm guessing something like $400-500K would get it done. Again, all dependent on just how serious the arm issues are.

I agree that Loux makes a lot of sense to pursue, as long as he checks out medically. He reportedly had a slight tear in his labrum and some elbow issues, which are huge red flags, but his profile fits what the Brewers supposedly like these days in pitchers (big and strong physique, good fastball velo/command and a promising breaking ball), and he reportedly was one of the college arms the Brewers were interested prior to the draft. I seem to remember the D-Backs signing him quickly for something like $1.6M before he failed his physical, and I'm guessing something like $400-500K would get it done. Again, all dependent on just how serious the arm issues are.
Even if he needs Tommy John isn't it worth it to sign him at $500K and hope he recovers fully? I believe the labrum tear is more worrisome, correct? That injury sounds more career-threatening. I would imagine that 29 teams will be kicking the tires.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I don't really have a problem with it, but why is MLB changing the rules for Loux? Why is he granted free agency when no one else is? It seems unfair to all the pitchers recently who have had to play independent ball and reenter the draft the following year.

This situation is different because Loux agreed to a deal and when the Diamondbacks looked at his elbow and shoulder they backed out. Guys like Crow never agreed to deals with the teams that drafted them.

I'd like to see the Brewers kick the tires, but I don't know how much interest he'd have in the Brewers organization. Houston is said to be interested, and he's from the area, so it seems like he'd more than likely enter their system if they feel he's healthy.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I haven't seen any significant update on Loux yet, but the latest semi-news is that the Astros won't offer him a contract. Going off a story last month, that crosses the Astros off the list of teams that watched Loux throw... leaving the following likely still in the hunt: Marlins, Rangers, Cubs, Twins, Giants, Brewers, Phillies and Mariners.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 1 month later...
Keith Law recently said that he heard Loux needs a couple of major surgeries, so that probably factors into the low signing price. I believe he's said in the past that some seem to think whoever signs him is probably better off just giving him the ball and letting him pitch until his arm falls off, because if he does go under the knife, it's unlikely he'll show the potential he had pre-injury.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived