Brewer Fanatic

Casey to Braves?

igor67

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree we have 2 other guys who can at least come close to Casey's total production offense and defense. We've already gotten 2 of his 3 very cheap years, he is ripe for being over valued as both a proven and cheap player in this market.

I disagree we have 2 other guys who can at least come close to Casey's total production offense and defense. We've already gotten 2 of his 3 very cheap years, he is ripe for being over valued as both a proven and cheap player in this market.
Agreed, we're looking at a guy who right now is on pace to put up a season of roughly .285/.350/..475 and a .820 OPS with 25 HR's and 103 RBI; 106 R's.

Moving forward I believe Gamel's a much-much better bet to out perform Casey, so I think this off-season would be an ideal time to move him. Packaging him with Prince, if the team that we're trading him do has a need, might be the best way to go.

By the way, who's the 2nd player you've got in mind here? Are you refering to Lawrie, or Green?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

what if Casey was claimed by the Cardinals (before the Braves had a chance to claim him)? The Cards are using Lopez since Freese is out for the year

Would the Brewers call him back instead of dealing with a division rival???????

what if Casey was claimed by the Cardinals (before the Braves had a chance to claim him)? The Cards are using Lopez since Freese is out for the year

Would the Brewers call him back instead of dealing with a division rival???????

I doubt it, but it'd probably be dependent upon what was offered. If they were willing to give up Shelby Miller for him, then yeah, I'm guessing we'd be alright.

But it'd obviously cost quite a bit more for the Cards.

Hey, maybe we wait a couple days though...by then the Cards might have a better record. They're 1' games behind right now.

At his salary, I can't imagine someone wouldn't claim him on waivers, gentleman's agreement or not. I'm sure the Cubs would like to have him back. LOL.

In addition to that, any team in the playoff race that didn't want to see him get to Atlanta could claim him too. I'm sure PHI, SF, SD, COL, & CIN, in addition to the aforementioned Cards would love to at least block the Braves from adding McGehee.

I don't wish ill on any player, but since Jones has actually suffered the injury, it's a shame for the Crew it didn't take place prior to the deadline.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think it's crucial the Brewers move McGehee this offseason. No matter what teams are offering for his services his value will never be higher. It's not a matter of him being fluky good, it's a matter of him being cheap MLB production, which I imagine must make him attractive on the trade market. Unfortunately I don't think the Brewers are willing to sell high on a guy who has won over the fans with good performance and being extremely likable. The bottom line is get the best pitching possible through trades this offseason but I have to think teams will be more interested in McGehee than Gamel at this point, right?

So, say McGehee somehow makes it through to the Braves or, even better, has already made it through everyone, and the Braves were desperate enough to trade one of those nice pitchers that were rumored in the Hart rumors. Would that pitcher have to make it through waivers as well, or since they are in the minors or not on the 40, they are tradeable? Or would it be a ptbnl and completed in the offseason?
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

So, say McGehee somehow makes it through to the Braves or, even better, has already made it through everyone, and the Braves were desperate enough to trade one of those nice pitchers that were rumored in the Hart rumors. Would that pitcher have to make it through waivers as well, or since they are in the minors or not on the 40, they are tradeable? Or would it be a ptbnl and completed in the offseason?

If they aren't on the 40 man they don't need to go through waivers. If they are on the 40 man I think they can be a PTBNL as long as they didn't spend any time in the major leagues.

I was counting Green, probably less than Casey on the bat side but can make up for it with his glove. Given the number of trades vs. number of players "extremely unlikely to be moved" is not a very risky prediction nor does it answer the original question I posed.

McGehee wouldn't pass through waivers with his production and his contract. Nearly every team in the NL would pick up McGehee there is no way he would get past the first team on the list. Though McGehee to the Braves in the off season is probably a really strong possibility.

McGehee wouldn't pass through waivers with his production and his contract. Nearly every team in the NL would pick up McGehee there is no way he would get past the first team on the list. Though McGehee to the Braves in the off season is probably a really strong possibility.

Most players make it through waivers. Teams grab a guy when they want to deal for them, but they don't just claim everyone on the list. Chris Dickerson cleared waivers, lots of teams could have used him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Casey is still under team control for 4 years, and will be cheap for 2 more. He won't be shopped, and is extremely unlikely to be moved.

Melvin has always stated that you want to create a surplus at a position through your farm system so you can make deals, and thats what they have with Gamel and McGehee, so we will see McGehee shopped for pitching. Hopefully he cleared waivers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Melvin has always stated that you want to create a surplus at a position through your farm system so you can make deals, and thats what they have with Gamel and McGehee, so we will see McGehee shopped for pitching.

I sure hope you're right. I'm beginning to think/fear the F.O. views Gamel as the one to deal.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Most players make it through waivers. Teams grab a guy when they want to deal for them, but they don't just claim everyone on the list. Chris Dickerson cleared waivers, lots of teams could have used him.
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.....Simply put, Casey McGehee > Chris Dickerson.

I was counting Green, probably less than Casey on the bat side but can make up for it with his glove. Given the number of trades vs. number of players "extremely unlikely to be moved" is not a very risky prediction nor does it answer the original question I posed.
I can see Green being comparable to McGehee overall. He's a Mark Loretta type player in my opinion who has the potential to hit for more power. He's having a rather mediocre type season, but I'm still a big fan.

As for what the Braves would be willing to give up for McGehee, I don't know that anyone's going to be able to answer that with Casey. There's likely so much variance in opinions regarding McGehee out there, and with the Braves, I fear being one of the better run organizations, they won't be as high on Casey as other teams.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.....Simply put, Casey McGehee > Chris Dickerson.

Maybe, but that wasn't the point. The point was a lot of guys pass through waivers as there are a LOT of guys being passed through right now, and the assumption is that a team is going to pull their guy back off the waiver wire, so unless they're serious about trading for a player, they may pass through.

By the way, I don't think it's all that obvious that Dickerson is clearly inferior to McGehee. Defensively the edge goes to Dickerson by a HUGE margin. Dickerson's not a base clogger, draws more walks and is more athletic.

Based on what? They're actually pretty similar, because McGehee is so inferior defensively, while Dickerson excells. If you divide their career WAR by their games played, Dickerson actually has the edge.

I really like McGehee; but if they can get a quality pitcher for him in the off-season, I think you have to do it.

Gamel seems to be basically ready to come up and play (OPS just under .900 right now at Nashville). The problem is whether or not he can handle playing 3B. You also have the issue of who plays first base, assuming Fielder is dealt.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Another possibility would the Braves try moving Glaus back over to third

and deal for Prince? That would do a much better job of replacing

Prince in the line-up this year and next

Frank Wren addressed this option..... answer was Glaus' knees are so bad that he can't even get into a proper defensive stance....I agree, Glaus is a physical mess which explains how his hitting has slipped .....

Wren is planning to go with Infante & Prado at 2B & 3B respectively when Prado comes off the DL next week....and Brooks Conrad working into the mix....Infante is a better fielder at 2B than 3B therefore Prado will play 3B

The Braves budget is tight, in fact it might be a little less than the Brewers.....therefore they won't target Fielder in the offseason but IMHO they will talk about MacGhee (they have Freddie Freeman ready for 1B but no 3B prospect on the horizon)

Archived