Brewer Fanatic

Hawkins back to DL (shoulder weakness); Mike McClendon called up; Zaun to the 60-day DL

crewcrazy

Per a THweet:

Tom Haudricourt wrote:
Brewers select RHP Mike McClendon from Class AAA Nashville and return RHP LaTroy Hawkins to 15-day DL with shoulder weakness.

It did look like Hawkins' velocity still wasn't there upon his return from the DL. Should be interesting to see what McClendon can do. 2.44 ERA in 55.1 IP in Nashville so far this year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

You know, I admit I was optimistic when Hawkins was signed. I wasn't overly excited by the contract, but I really thought he'd be a nice "surprise" for the team this year in terms of performance out of the bullpen. Boy, I was definitely wrong on this one. Just has not been able to stay healthy and has been a shadow of his former self. Still have him for one more year, too; which is looking pretty lousy at this point.

As far as McClendon, I too will look forward to seeing what he can contribute. Looks like a tall lanky guy...6'5", 215 lbs. Anyone know much about his "stuff?"

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Wow, the 2nd home grown pitcher to make it to the majors in the same season (the other was Braddock) and neither were high picks. Personally, I'd be tempted to see how he'd do starting a few games. He has started some in the past. I can't think this is sitting too well with Villanueva.

As for Hawkins, at this point, just shut him down for the year.

No more multi-year contracts to middle relievers. Especially guys on the wrong side of 30. When I saw that Riske still has a buyout remaining, my gut reaction was that Melvin needs to be fired on principal for agreeing to that contract. The Riske signing has flown under the radar probably mostly due his injury and also to the Suppan debacle, but in my view, it's one of the worst free agent signings in franchise history.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From Sunday's Minor League Forum Link Report --

Mike McClendon needed only 32 pitches, 23 of them strikes, to toss the final four innings: no runs, three hits, no walks, one K.-- look smart in front of your friends and start tossing the 25-year-old 6'5" RHP's name out there now in your bar conversations about next spring...
Looks like we were on target, just not quite as ambitious! Another reason to visit us over in Minor League land if you don't already...

Congratulations, Mike!

I agree that Hawkins should be shut down and hopefully he'll have his mid-90's fastball back next year.

Congrats to McClendon, but does anyone else think that with two banged up OF's, we should bring a position player up instead of another pitcher? Has any team ever had a 13-man pitching staff nearly the entire season?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

You know, I admit I was optimistic when Hawkins was signed. I wasn't overly excited by the contract, but I really thought he'd be a nice "surprise" for the team this year in terms of performance out of the bullpen. Boy, I was definitely wrong on this one.

Glad I'm not the only one. We can cry together for company if you wish.

When I saw that Riske still has a buyout remaining, my gut reaction was that Melvin needs to be fired on principal for agreeing to that contract.

This isn't really fair. He was a durable pitcher who had continued success for a while. Pretty much exactly what we needed at the time. It was not a predicable injury. It was pure bad luck.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Invader3K[/b]]You know, I admit I was optimistic when Hawkins was signed. I wasn't overly excited by the contract, but I really thought he'd be a nice "surprise" for the team this year in terms of performance out of the bullpen. Boy, I was definitely wrong on this one. Just has not been able to stay healthy and has been a shadow of his former self. Still have him for one more year, too; which is looking pretty lousy at this point.

I think most were pretty excited. I felt fairly alone in being against the signing. However since I am wrong most of the time I don't take any joy in being right on this one. I just feel like when we have a lot of talent in the AAA bullpen we don't need to sign guys who should be declining due to age.

McClendon sounds like a guy who could potentially get hot for a season or two and really help the club. Count me in as a someone who would be curious if they could stretch him out to be a starter. If Prince is gone next year and replaced with a competent defender, I think our infield defense could actually be above average and wouldn't mind a GB pitcher in the rotation.

I think it is a little interesting that Villanueva wasn't called up but I definitely like the move. If McClendon can be effective in the Majors, we should have a good young bullpen for the next few years. Now all we need is some of our starters to come through for us.

My guess:

Villanueva 2010 = JJ Hardy 2009

I believe if Villy is down the rest of the year, we get another year's service time.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

No more multi-year contracts to middle relievers. Especially guys on the wrong side of 30. When I saw that Riske still has a buyout remaining, my gut reaction was that Melvin needs to be fired on principal for agreeing to that contract. The Riske signing has flown under the radar probably mostly due his injury and also to the Suppan debacle, but in my view, it's one of the worst free agent signings in franchise history.
I'd be surprised if Riske's contract hasn't been mostly covered by insurance. Maybe Hawkins' too. FWIW, I still think Riske was a good signing, given what we knew at the time.

Nothing to add except I love the Crimm reference. For some reason he was always one of my favorites.
Crim rocked. The best Brewers set up man ever. It was awesome how he came from no where in 87. Then he gave the Crew 5 good years and was flipped for Fetters in one of Bando's best trades. Back in the days before I detested the Cubs, it was cool to see Crim, Plesac and Trebelhorn reunited in I believe '94.

Uh... four good years for Crim. 1991 - not so much. Good call on CV though - very interesting that he wasn't brought back up.

From what I understand McClendon is a sinkerball pitcher - get a lot of ground ball outs. 1.81 GO/AO this year, consistently above 1.50 each year with the worst year being 1.41.

I wonder what the corresponding 40-man move was? Hawkins, Zaun, or Estrada to the 60?

I feel bad for DM. There was really no way to tell Hawkins would be this bad. He really only had 1 or 2 bad years in his however many year career. He was coming off a career year last year a bit of a fall was probably going to come. To be this bad/unproductive, how could you know?

I'd be surprised if Riske's contract hasn't been mostly covered by insurance. Maybe Hawkins' too. FWIW, I still think Riske was a good signing, given what we knew at the time.
I agree. I don't think we can call it one of the worst signings in our history simply because he hasn't been healthy. There were few signs at the time that Riske wouldn't be a very solid and reliable FA signing. He was coming off several very good years and had maintained an impressive LOB%.

Some just don't work out. It really seems like the Brewers are not only making bad decisions, but getting incredibly unlucky with some of these. Hawkins was overpaid, BUT, he was still another experienced late inning reliever that could throw in the mid 90's, was coming off a couple fantastic years, and had experience closing games.

And while we now see we've got a lot of talented young relievers, I don't think the picture was nearly as rosy coming into the year. Axford was a big question mark, Braddock was coming off a great year, but hadn't stayed healthy, Kintzler, McClendon, Loe hadn't showed enough/antyhing to suggest they could contribute. I suppose part of that is knowing your own system, but a bigger part is guys exceeding expectations.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

No more multi-year contracts to middle relievers. Especially guys on the wrong side of 30.

Agreed, we've finally got a lot of young power relievers. We should have at least 4-5 guys in our BP the next several years who are promoted from within, not signed from outside the org.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I agree. I don't think we can call it one of the worst signings in our history simply because he hasn't been healthy. There were few signs at the time that Riske wouldn't be a very solid and reliable FA signing. He was coming off several very good years and had maintained an impressive LOB%.

Some just don't work out. It really seems like the Brewers are not only making bad decisions, but getting incredibly unlucky with some of these. Hawkins was overpaid, BUT, he was still another experienced late inning reliever that could throw in the mid 90's, was coming off a couple fantastic years, and had experience closing games.

And while we now see we've got a lot of talented young relievers, I don't think the picture was nearly as rosy coming into the year. Axford was a big question mark, Braddock was coming off a great year, but hadn't stayed healthy, Kintzler, McClendon, Loe hadn't showed enough/antyhing to suggest they could contribute. I suppose part of that is knowing your own system, but a bigger part is guys exceeding expectations.

Yeah, but Riske sucked in 2008 before he got hurt, unless you want to believe that he was pitching the entire season injured- which made him damaged goods and the signing even more asinine. I remember laughing at the White Sox for giving Linebrink a multi year deal for good money, only to be quite 'perflexed' a week or so later when the Brewers did the same with Riske.

Archived