Brewer Fanatic

PGA Championship Info - Please Help!

brwrsfan

So I stumbled into 2 free tickets for the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits this Saturday, wondering if anyone on here can give me some advice about it. I watch golf occassionally but I'm not an overly big golf fan and I've never been to a golf event before.

I've been told that there are basically 2 options:

1. Find a hole that you like, see if you can find a spot to sit and just stay there all day - you'll get to see all the golfers come through at some point or other. I've actually been to Whistling once, and I didn't really see too many places to sit down, is this even possible here? I was told the 7th would be an ideal hole to watch, but when I look it up online, there really wasn't much room there. Are you allowed to bring in lawn chairs or anything like that? I'd like to sit on a par 3 so I can actually see everything on the hole. But I'm open to any other suggestions.

2. Walk around the golf course all day, maybe follow a player for a hole or two or just generally check it out. I've heard this could be difficult to really see much as there will obviously be a lot of people doing this.

Any insight on this would be helpful, especially if anybody goes there today for the first round. I just have no idea what to expect and could use some help. Also, is there any sort of dress code? It's supposed to be like 88...I was thinking just some shorts and a polo shirt, is that ok?

Edit: Sorry, thought of two other things: anybody know what the parking situation will be like or where the best place to park would be? And any idea where the will call window would be?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

I went there the last time there was a major tournament. For the majority of the time, I sat next to one of the par 3s. I found, like you said, that if you try to walk along with a golfer, that you just don't get a very good view. My advice would be, get there early, find a nice place on a par three right along the ropes, camp out and enjoy most of the tournament from there. That said, after most of the round is over, it can be kind of fun to walk around the course and take it all in (it is really a beautiful course).

I wish I could remember what par 3 we were on, as it was neat in that there was a hill next to the green that many of the pros would aim for. If they landed on the hill, it would cause the ball to roll down toward the center of the green. It was really cool. It seemed almost like a minigolf shot, only infinitely more challenging.

We went in 2004 and will be there again this year. Last time, we picked a hole and stayed there until the leaders came through (we were on the front 9), then walked the course. Walking the course was difficult because you don't get good views at all. Get there early (I believe the first tee times are around 7:30 Saturday) and you should be able to find a spot.

We sat behind the green on the hole we picked, and it sloped up. We actually sat in a pot bunker that was out of play. We had our own little stools, but you can bring in you own small folding chair (it has to be able to fold up into a bag). You cannot sit in the grandstand unless you have a grandstand ticket. No chairs are provided. Here are a couple links for you...

Chair Policy

Spectator Guide

If I remember correctly, you can take a bag (like a backpack or something) in with you as well. You are allowed to bring in your own water, but if it's not Aquafina, you have to remove the label. Leave your camera at home and leave your cell phone in the car. If you have golf shoes, I'd wear those as well.

1. I went in 2004 and went to two practice rounds this year already. The best bet is to get there relatively early and get into one of the grandstands. The 7th is a nice Par 3 to watch, and there is a grandstand right by the green. The other Par 3's have a similar set up and are also on Lake Michigan, so you cannot go wrong with any of those. I would advise against bringing a lawn chair in, unless you get a spot right against the ropes. Even then though, you aren't guaranteed a very good view due to all of the mounds on the course.

2. I plan to walk around on Sunday this year. I sat in a grandstand in 2004, and while it was fun seeing everyone, you feel kind of isolated from the action. The people that walk around are more aware of everything that is happening on other parts of the course.

3. Don't worry about the parking. They have troopers directing you when you get relatively close to the course. Parking is free and if they direct you in a lot far away, they have shuttles taking you to the gate. Just be careful of any ruts when driving through the field to park. It was really wet yesterday.

4. Shorts and a polo is perfect. I would wear really good walking shoes, hiking boots, or golf shoes if you have them. Do not wear sandals. I have witnessed way too many fall down due to inadequate footwear. The will call tent is right next to the gate (I believe it is on the right side).

I hope that this helps and that you have a good time.

And I think NeedMoreFans is thinking of the reserved skybox grandstands, which you need a special ticket for. There are general grandstands open to the general public. You do not need a special ticket for those.

Wow, thanks for all the information, that seems to really help. If we want to sit on the 7th hole, what time do you think we should get there? Looks like the first tee time for Saturday is 7:36.

Also, I see that it says on the spectators guide that cell phones are permitted...is that accurate? You can't bring a cell phone in with you? I can see the noise being a problem I guess?

No, you cannot bring cell phones in with you. Any electronic device that can make a noise or distract the golfers cannot be brought in.

I totally missed the grandstand part in the spectator guide. I knew there was a section that was reserved. I don't remember that many grandstands in 2004.

1. I went in 2004 and went to two practice rounds this year already. The best bet is to get there relatively early and get into one of the grandstands. The 7th is a nice Par 3 to watch, and there is a grandstand right by the green. The other Par 3's have a similar set up and are also on Lake Michigan, so you cannot go wrong with any of those. I would advise against bringing a lawn chair in, unless you get a spot right against the ropes. Even then though, you aren't guaranteed a very good view due to all of the mounds on the course.

I checked the map out and I don't see a grandstand by the 7th or 3rd hole. Can anyone confirm this? If anyone went today or can watch it on tv, can you confirm if there is a place to sit on either of those holes? Preferablly the 7th.? It's entirely possible it's just not on the map.

I was there in 2004 and also was there Monday for the practice round.

Yes, I'll agree with others that it is not as spectator friendly as other tournament courses. However, I think there are more options than Grandstand, following a group around, or just sitting on one hole. What I like to do at golf tournaments is find a group I like, but I don't follow them from hole to hole. I continuously get 3 or 4 holes ahead of them. Once they go through I go another 3 or 4 holes ahead. This way you see more than just that group, you see more than just one hole, and you beat the crowd if it's a popular group. Also, I tend not to set up at the tee box or at the green. I try to stand along the fairway where their drives might land. Occasionally you get an errant drive and you might have an opportunity to stand within 10 feet of the golfer as he selects his club and talks to his caddy about strategy.

Hope you enjoy! We'll be there on Sunday.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I could be mistaken. I know the back nine much better than the front, but I thought all of the Par 3's had at least a small grandstand. It was pretty hot, so I might have been seeing things earlier in the week. I apologize if I am incorrect.

No big deal, thanks for all the info. #7 was the hole I was most interested in watching, but I would prefer somewhere to sit down...Thanks to everyone for the info so far, it's been very helpful.

What holes on the back 9 would you recommend watching?

I caught part of the television coverage over lunch, and it looks like there is a big hill that people are sitting on behind #7. I did not see a grandstand.

As for the course, you really cannot go wrong. I tend to like the back 9 a little bit better since the course has arguably the toughest closing holes in all of golf (#15 - 18 are brutal). Depending on when you get there, the grandstand on 15 is probably the best for viewing pleasure. I sat on the right side of this grandstand in 2004 during the final round and could see action on holes 11 thru 16. You would need binoculars to really see 13, 14, and 16 very well though.

#12 and #17 are two Par 3's that have grandstands. The grandstand for #12 is behind the green while the one for #17 is by the tee I believe. The only bad thing about these is that you really can't see any other holes. You might be able to see #15 green from #12. It all depends on the crowd.

#18 is also fun to watch. #18 green is right next to the #9 green so you can watch both of those holes if you sit there.

If the grandstands are full, there are a ton of hills you can choose from that people like to sit on. You really do have a ton of options to choose from.

I went to Monday's practice round and one of the rounds in '04. Here are a couple suggestions.

1. Wear your golf shoes. It may seem stupid, but in actuality it is quite smart, especially if it rained the day before. Back in '04 my feet got soaked because I was wearing normal tennis shoes. Not only will it keep your socks from getting wet but it will also give you some extra traction when you walk up and down the hills in the tall fescue.
  2. Get there as early as possible. This is the best time to scope the course for good hill to sit on. On Monday we got there at 7:15 and were treated with Tiger. Only 15 or so people were following him at the time. You could literally walk right up next to him and get autographs if you wanted. Obviously you won't be able to do this when the holes count, but getting there early has its benefits. We spent a lot of time sitting on the top row of the grand stand on hole 16. From here, you can see the people going for the green in two (it's a par 5) and turn around and see all of hole 17 (a difficult par 3 with water on the left).

3. I've never really found the need to bring a chair to one of these events. Because I like walking around and staying at one spot, they kind of turn more into a hassle than a luxury. A better alternative is to either sit in a chair or find a hill to sit on. There are lots of them around the course. Scope out the ones that you can see multiple shots/holes.

If I get around to it (or by popular demand), I will post some pictures that I took on Monday (cameras were allowed for the practice round). Let me know if you have any questions.

I went the last time the PGA was held there.

If you care about what is actually going on in the tourney.....

I would recommend going there really early and instead of finding a good place to sit for the next 8+ hours, I would walk the course first. It wont be as crowded, the leaders aren;t out on the course yet, so leaderboard watching isn;t that necessary. This way you get to actually see the entire course, which is just amazing - as opposed to only seeing a few holes.

Then after you walk the course (should be done by mid-late morning, then find a place to sit and watch a hole. But make sure a leaderboard is in sight so you can follow the action.

If you dont care about who is winning.....

I would go by a par 3 green, or find a spot to be able to see approach shots coming into holes #9 and #18. the atmosphere was electric in '04 on the Sunday in that spot. fans were doing the wave, just a great time.

I'm going to the PGA Championship on Sunday and hope to see the finish. If weather delays cause the event to be finished on Monday, how do they handle tickets for the Monday event? Do they sell more tickets? Can people who had Sunday tickets go on Monday?

Archived