Brewer Fanatic

dog cats and other pet stuff.

Thurston Fluff
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to occasionally adorn my dog in a bandanna. I'm not sure if that counts as clothing or not, but it certainly didn't bother him.

There are some dogs that need a sweater or jacket to stay warm in cold weather. That falls under the category of a necessity for those breeds, though.

I occasionally had to put boots on my dog to take him outside. There'd be something about certain types of snow that would make his feet cold, and he'd hobble around pathetically. I could never figure out any pattern for what might have caused this; it didn't seem to be temperature-related. Thankfully, this didn't occur often.

He wasn't fond of the process of having the boots put on his feet, but he was fine once they were on. Had I needed to do this all the time, he would have likely equated the boots to a trip outside and been totally cooperative. They were a little clumsy, but they did the trick for a short trip around the yard to allow him to do his business.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

http://imgur.com/knsot.jpg

Oreo, 14-yo English Springer Spaniel.

Oreo passed away this morning at home. No euthanasia, it was just her time. I was by her side as she took her last breaths, & just reminded her how much my family & I love her, & how lucky we were to have had her in our lives. She'd been in discomfort and/or pain since at least last night, so I'm glad she didn't suffer any longer. Honestly, being with her as she died wasn't nearly as hard as I was anticipating. I think the fact that it was so (relatively) sudden made it easier; I didn't have time to stress about it or build it up in my mind, it just happened. This was my first dog death, so I don't know for certain, but it seemed peaceful. I took her outside in the sunshine, & we layed in the grass until it was over.

15 years, 4 months, & 9 days -- a damn good run. I'll miss her so much, but it's good that she isn't suffering anymore. Rest in peace, buddy! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm sorry to hear about Oreo. I went through this a few years ago. It's a comfort to know that there's no more suffering.

It's hard, but honestly pretty quickly I've been able to realize that it's ok. Her lifespan just came to an end, & the time we were able to share is still a wonderful part of mine. I miss her, but not with sorrow as much as with happiness.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 3 weeks later...

This was sent to us today from a friend of ours. I thought it was spot on. TLB you might especially find this interesting since you lost your best friend recently as well.

A Dog's Purpose (from a 6-year-old). Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle. ... I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience. The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker 's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.' Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.' So live like a dog: Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like: When loved ones come home, always run to greet them. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy. Take naps. Stretch before rising. Run, romp, and play daily. Thrive on attention and let people touch you. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do. On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass. On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree. When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body. Delight in the simple joy of a long walk. Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently. ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

So, my parent's dog (5-yr old Golden Retriever) deceided to rupture a tendon in her left hindquarter. I'm told its the same as the ACL in humans.

They said it's gonna cost $3,200 to have the surgery to repair/replace or whatever they do. Yikes.

You knew me as Myday2001.

I too went back and forth with what hunting breed to get. After some number of months of research my wife and I decided on a Lab. Not sexy or unique I know but he's awesome!

1.5 year old Murl

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/285414_10150239662413016_637868015_7579719_5685857_n.jpg

He's e-collar trained (which I know some people despise but it's absolutely necessary for hunting situations). He's great off leash and actually walks and heals better than if he is on leash.

He's an awesome family dog and a heck of a bird hunter. The obedience training we sent him to was worth its weight in gold. We sent him to lady who has trained labs for 30 years, she's not heavy handed but she is firm and you would not believe how dogs respond to her. She is our own private "Dog whisperer".

• 1 month later...

My wife woke me up at 5:30am last Saturday because our hamster, Chille (pronounced Chilly),

had gotten out of his cage.? After doing some online reading and figuring out the best way to lure him into the open,

I came up with this contraption.? The pail is full of used bedding (with his scent) and freshly-made popcorn,

which is basically catnip to him.? I thought I would make this "how to" video for others on the internet searching

for a way catch their escaped rodent by having Chille re-create the events.? It's also an idea for a more humane

way of catching mice and other unwanted rodents.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

• 2 months later...

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv208/ThurstonFluff/380280_2634791277355_1482655514_32838794_85275110_n.jpg

This is our new dog George. He's not always this dirty but would be if he had his way. He likes to tear cloth disks apart and play keep away both of which really sucks. Anyone manage to break their pup of that.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Backupcatchers, your picture of George is mis-coded and isn't showing up. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

My wife woke me up at 5:30am last Saturday because our hamster, Chille (pronounced Chilly),

had gotten out of his cage.? After doing some online reading and figuring out the best way to lure him into the open,

I came up with this contraption.? The pail is full of used bedding (with his scent) and freshly-made popcorn,

which is basically catnip to him.? I thought I would make this "how to" video for others on the internet searching

for a way catch their escaped rodent by having Chille re-create the events.? It's also an idea for a more humane

way of catching mice and other unwanted rodents.

If I were a hamster, I would also be highly intrigued by a copy of the "The Metaphysical Club" laying out for me to read.

Archived