Brewer Fanatic

dog cats and other pet stuff.

Thurston Fluff

Since I love animals of all sorts and seems like many here do as
well I thought maybe a tread dedicated to pets would be cool. To start
it off I'd like to share some thoughts on dog training. Not necessary
to keep it on training please feel free to go any direction you please.
Pictures of pets would be cool as well. Maybe we vote for a mascot.
My vote is for Tyson.http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/smile.gif

There
a has been quite a bit of debate lately on dog training techniques. A
disagreement between the Dog Whisperer and the Humane Society is sort of
the poster child of this debate. The gal from animal planet's "It's Me
or the Dog'" series is also involved. Sorry can't remember her name
off the top of my head. Some back ground is probably needed. Caesar
like many trainers gets his philosophy from an old and woefully
misbegotten experiment done decades ago.
They took some wolves and
put them together to see what would happen. The wolves developed a
social structure based on a pack leader getting to be pack leader
through dominant behavior. The conclusion was that pack leaders got
there by being the dominant alpha male. Couple problems with that
experiment. One is dogs are not wolves. Two the experiment was poorly
thought out.
Throwing a bunch of wolves who didn't know each other
is not natural at all. Wolves in the wild do not establish leadership
by domination displayed in the experiment because that isn't how wolves
come to live together. They live in family groups with the mom and dad
being the pack leaders simply by being mom and dad. The pups end up
getting their rank primarily by their birth order. The only dominant
behavior in determining pack order is with pups in the same litter.
That gets figured out as they play as pups. It's really a very peaceful
system of pack rank. So the whole experiment never really worked in
determining natural wolf hierarchy let alone dogs. To use that concept
like Caesar and so many others have in thinking you have to become pack
leader yourself is off base.

At one point or another I think I
bought into every technique out there but lately have found my own voice
in the ongoing debate.
While I am not an expert I have tried all
their techniques with varying degrees of success. In nearly 30 years of
dog training I honestly haven't seen anything out the the so called
experts to think they know any more than many people I know who have
worked with dogs all their lives just as I have.
While all the
parties involved love their dogs and treat them well I kind of found
both sides to be a little off base when it comes to training. The major
problem I have with all of them from the humane society to the Dog
whisperer along with many private instructors is they all seem to want
to paint all dogs with one brush. That is just flat out wrong. While
they all have certain dog characteristics there are more differences
between breeds than similarities all breeds share. I could not hope to
train my border collie the same way as I would a plott hound. It
shouldn't some as a surprise considering one was bred for generations to
hunt and fight bears and wild boar and one was bred for for hundreds of
years to herd sheep. They developed separate and distinct
personalities. Plotts for instance generally need a firmer hand while
yelling at a border makes them go in a shell which results in a lost
month after that.
I hope this doesn't come off as being a know it
all but with all the information out there sometimes you have to put
false modesty aside and give an opinion. I think when it comes to the
happiness of your pets it is one of those times. If you get a dog
please take some time to learn about your breed then invest a little
time to learn several techniques that measure up to the type of dog you
want to train. Personally i think it matters less what you are training
your dog for as it is the type of work it was bred for. A hunter will
have hunting characteristics even if they are house pets who never saw a
woods. Generally speaking positive reinforcement is best but on
occasion with stubborn, driven breeds meant for tough, aggressive or
rugged activities like bear, raccoon or wild boar hunting remote collars
have a place. Which is not what the humane society would tell you.
Some other breeds need to work in a cooperative manner as essentially
equals. Border collies are like that. With them everything is a
negotiation. Not what the dog whisperer would tell you. Simply put
know your dog and go from there. You can't really go wrong if you
understand, love and work with them on a daily basis.

Sorry for the preachieness I'm pretty passionate on the subject.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The major problem I have with all of them from the humane society to the Dog whisperer along with many private instructors is they all seem to want to paint all dogs with one brush. That is just flat out wrong. While they all have certain dog characteristics there are more differences between breeds than similarities all breeds share. I could not hope to train my border collie the same way as I would a plott hound.

That sounds so much like raising children/teaching children.

I have a 3 year old Yorkie Terrier...hes a mean little guy to anyone he doesnt know. I feel terrible because I feel like I trained him wrong since he was my first dog. He is soooo loving and nice to us and the family. I had him in college and he used to be nice and used to just roam around during parties and down time. He only 'hated' 2 or 3 people. Now, its everyone and anyone he doesnt know. Fits his name I suppose.

(His name is T.O. He had knee surgery the same time he did and my gf thought it was a cute name. Hes also my favorite player http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif)

I don't have an actual picture of my dog but she looks a lot like this one. She just has black ears and darker brown fur otherwise she looks exactly like this.

http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/dogs/anonymous/gabriella_pug_terrier_05.jpg_w450.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have 3 pets right now, and I'll try to post some pics later.

Argo, a 2 1/2 year old snow white Shiba-Inu. He's pretty much both the most awesome dog ever, and most deviously naughty.

Ivan, a russian tortoise (ya ya, I know) and Layla, a sulcata (African spur thigh tortoise)

He is soooo loving and nice to us and the family. I had him in college and he used to be nice and used to just roam around during parties and down time. He only 'hated' 2 or 3 people. Now, its everyone and anyone he doesnt know.

I couldn't tell you for sure without seeing but it sounds like either fear biting or territorial aggressiveness. Sometimes when dogs go from one type of environment like a college party house to another like a nice quite suburban house it can be hard for the dog to adjust. I can't say I can help you but I may be able to point you in the right direction. Couple questions if you don't mind.

Does he act that way everywhere or just at home? Is there a difference between small or large groups of people? Does he shy away and only bite when strangers come too close or is he actively seeking them out?

Does he act that way everywhere or just at home? Is there a difference between small or large groups of people? Does he shy away and only bite when strangers come too close or is he actively seeking them out?

I am pretty sure he is territorial.

He is like that just at home. Barks at other dogs when hes in the car as well. Barks at everything when looking out the window at home. No difference between the sizes of groups. However, when we put a muzzle on him he is very sweet and kind (most often). When I was in college he stayed away from people and was afraid. Gradually he became more agressive and started to go after people. I will give you an example of his behavior. Myself and two friends were sitting in my living room. T.O. at my side laying peacefully. One friend went up to get a beer and he went after him. Luckily, I was able to snatch him in midair. We have taken him to classes and programs that feature other animals as well as humans. He usually does pretty well controlling himself. He is now living in his 4th home as well if that makes any difference. (2 college apartments, parents house, my house currently)

I have... a sulcata (African spur thigh tortoise)
Wow, where do you keep such a huge tortoise? My brother used to try to keep turtles he caught as pets but he would always have to let them go after a week or two because they got restless being in enclosed spaces (even if it was a pen in the yard).

I'm not all that familiar with Yorkie terriers but I know of someone who does a lot of terriers in general. I'll ask her about it if you'd like. Sometimes changes in homes leads to insecurity thus territorial issues. I do know the breed itself can be territorial. I'll try to find out more. Does he have a kennel? Sometimes a small kennel in the house provides a nice safe house for dogs. If they feel more secure then they may be less aggressive out of the kennel. but in truth I think it's part of the breed and you'll have a longer row to hoe.

Here is a nice site to learn the basics about your breed. For anyone who's interested this is a really a good site to learn the basics of many breeds. Though they are one of those that over does the whole pack leader thing.

That sounds so much like raising children/teaching children.

I have a 3 year old Yorkie Terrier...hes a mean little guy to anyone he doesnt know. I feel terrible because I feel like I trained him wrong since he was my first dog. He is soooo loving and nice to us and the family. I had him in college and he used to be nice and used to just roam around during parties and down time. He only 'hated' 2 or 3 people. Now, its everyone and anyone he doesnt know. Fits his name I suppose.

(His name is T.O. He had knee surgery the same time he did and my gf thought it was a cute name. Hes also my favorite player http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif)

Your dog is a turd.

First cats of the thread! We adopted these guys at 6 months old and they are now 7 years old.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v377/152/108/1404434242/n1404434242_124703_6756.jpg

Nate (99% black) was found as a stray outside a school in Fort Atkinson. He's very skittish when anyone is around besides me or the S.O., but with us he's the sweetest sweetie pie. Nate will fetch cat toys if we throw them around.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v377/152/108/1404434242/n1404434242_124706_2191.jpg

Sean started life as a barn kitty, until he was brought to the same person who fostered Nate. They came to us as a bonded pair, though they are not litter mates. Sean is a major ham and very talkative.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

We just got a puggle 4 weeks ago too, looks kinda like the pic above as well. Named her Moli, after Paul Molitor. Can't imagine not having a dog after only having her for a short period of time. Sleeps through the night and goes to the door when she needs to go potty. Couldn't be happier with her.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have... a sulcata (African spur thigh tortoise)
Wow, where do you keep such a huge tortoise? My brother used to try to keep turtles he caught as pets but he would always have to let them go after a week or two because they got restless being in enclosed spaces (even if it was a pen in the yard).
She's not full grown. Right now she's bout the size of a platter, maybe 18" long. She's outside a lot right now, I think over the winter I'm going to put a kiddie pool in the basement, with a heat lamp and whatnot for her.

I only took her in because the previous owner didn't really know how to take care of a tortoise, grossly over fed it, gave it way too much calcium, and it grew so fast that it's shell split. Right now I don't even like picking her up, her shell is still pretty thin, but at least it's healing.

I don't know if this is a long-term pet, and if it is, I'll have to consider housing for a tortoise that could likely get up to 125 pounds by the time it's 15 years old.

For myself at least, the Dog Whisperer show was a big help with my learning some ways to get my dog to behave better. I'm thankful for Caesar for that help, plus the show is entertaining to watch IMO.

I got a dog as a gift to my daughter about three years ago and it was my first dog. Not only was it my first dog, i never had a dog as a pet while growing up. So when i got Tyson as a puppy, i really didn't know what the hell i was doing. I got some help from my mom with the potty training, but behavioral wise, all i knew what to do when he didn't listen was to yell at him. Well, in retrospect i now know why that often doesn't work that well.

A few months have getting Tyson i saw the Dog Whisper show on TV and started watching it. From watching the show i picked up a fair amount of tips that has worked on my dog like how to quickly take away his food aggressiveness with stuff like bones especially, how to walk a dog properly, and just basically how to make a dog understand that i'm the boss of the house without having to hit him or scream constantly. The one thing though that i couldn't get Tyson to do no matter what i tried was to not run away from me when outside if he wasn't on a leash. An episode of Dog Whisperer came on about that very problem and after being patient with what i saw on that episode, my dog now won't go far away from me if off leash or if i'm not holding the leash. Once in awhile he'll stray to far away and now he listens to my commands of come here.

The only thing that makes him loose all sense of listening is if he sees a rabbit, squirrel, or chipmunk which there are many of by where i live and walk him. I don't get mad about that though because it's simply deeply ingrained in the genes of Toy Fox Terriers which were bred to hunt down small game like rabbits and squirrels.

I have a question about cats. I'm not a big fan of cats, but my best friend has one that's 13 years old i believe and he's had the cat for about 10 of those years. It's not fixed either.

Well a few days ago my buddy called me all stressed out because his cat bolted out his apartment patio door when he went to start his gas grill and he couldn't find the cat anywhere for over two days. He thought odds were high his cat would be dead from either getting hit by a car or getting attacked by a coyote since he hears them howl sometimes in a patch of woods. Plus, my buddy never kept a collar on the cat with tags on it and his phone number in case someone found his lost cat. I felt bad for my friend because he was stressed by having no idea what happened to his long time pet. Lucky for him, he called me earlier today and said his cat showed up outside his patio door.

One thing i've long wondered about the vast majority of cat owners is why don't they ever walk their cats like dog owners do? Wouldn't cats enjoy a walk outside as dogs love so much? Wouldn't that maybe also make a cat less interested in bolting out a door when a chance arrived since their curiosity about the outdoors should be less since they were outside a lot?

A few months have getting Tyson i saw the Dog Whisper show on TV and started watching it. From watching the show i picked up a fair amount of tips that has worked on my dog like how to quickly take away his food aggressiveness with stuff like bones especially, how to walk a dog properly, and just basically how to make a dog understand that i'm the boss of the house without having to hit him or scream constantly.

This is the kind of stuff that I think The Dog Whisperer is great for -- just taking away general points, as opposed to (necessarily) any specific tactics. The show does a great job teaching people how important confidence/assertiveness & body language are, and just how much dogs read into them. We might not realize it, but by simply getting dressed, putting on shoes, or getting out of bed in the morning, etc... we're communicating with our dogs. Danzig, I'm glad things have gotten easier for you with Tyson.

The only thing that makes him loose all sense of listening is if he sees a rabbit, squirrel, or chipmunk which there are many of by where i live and walk him. I don't get mad about that though because it's simply deeply ingrained in the genes of Toy Fox Terriers which were bred to hunt down small game like rabbits and squirrels.

Whether you realize it or not, this is demonstrates another aspect of why you're having success with Tyson. You understand he's him, and not any other dog.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

A few months have getting Tyson i saw the Dog Whisper show on TV and started watching it. From watching the show i picked up a fair amount of tips that has worked on my dog like how to quickly take away his food aggressiveness with stuff like bones especially, how to walk a dog properly, and just basically how to make a dog understand that i'm the boss of the house without having to hit him or scream constantly.

This is the kind of stuff that I think The Dog Whisperer is great for -- just taking away general points, as opposed to (necessarily) any specific tactics. The show does a great job teaching people how important confidence/assertiveness & body language are, and just how much dogs read into them. We might not realize it, but by simply getting dressed, putting on shoes, or getting out of bed in the morning, etc... we're communicating with our dogs. Danzig, I'm glad things have gotten easier for you with Tyson.

Whether you realize it or not, this is demonstrates another aspect of why you're having success with Tyson. You understand he's him, and not any other dog.

Besides learning tips to help with behavioral issues of my dog, two other things about Caesar and his show that i think is valuable or should be valuable to many dog owners is that i think a lot of dog owners simply don't realize that they themselves are a big reason for behavioral issues with their dogs and that to many owners don't take into account enough the breed of their dog along with then the needs a dog of certain breeds have to be happy/stable, especially pure breeds.

Before watching the show i understood to a degree that various breed types can often have different behaviors or needs, but i never considered the importance of this enough initially in retrospect and i think many dog owners don't take this into consideration enough either when they have problems with their dog. A lot of dogs out there were bred for specific reasons and those genes are deeply ingrained. Their instincts don't simply vanish just because you bring them into your home and often if they aren't allowed to do some of the things that their genetics tell them to do, they can get frustrated.

My dog when i walk him loves looking inside bushes or under foliage for rabbits and squirrels, few things seem to make him happier besides maybe a steak bone with some meat left on it from me. It's amazing how good his instincts, sense of smell, and hearing allows him to track down where small game is hiding. I have a 30 foot leash which allows him to do this stuff, but also pull him away if he actually finds say a rabbit before he kills it. This does though allow him to be who his breed is for at least awhile each day. My daughter flipped out on Tyson a few months ago when he found a buried rabbit den and killed one baby rabbit, but i had to tell her that he's simply doing what he's bred to do and not to yell at him for this.

I do feel bad though for some dogs who rarely get walked by their owners like my [expletive deleted] step-uncle doesn't do enough of it and let a dog be outside being a dog exploring, yet then the owner will constantly scream at the frustrated dog for not behaving how the owner wants. Just letting a dog go outside in the same yard everyday to take a leak/crap and maybe a short walk once a week isn't enough mental stimulation that dogs need, especially younger ones, so they start acting out and the dumb owners blame the dog often followed by screaming at the dog and in some cases hitting it.

(edit: language --1992)

I do feel bad though for some dogs who rarely get walked by their owners like my [expletive deleted] step-uncle doesn't do enough of it and let a dog be outside being a dog exploring, yet then the owner will constantly scream at the frustrated dog for not behaving how the owner wants. Just letting a dog go outside in the same yard everyday to take a leak/crap and maybe a short walk once a week isn't enough mental stimulation that dogs need, especially younger ones, so they start acting out and the dumb owners blame the dog often followed by screaming at the dog and in some cases hitting it.
This is a pet peeve. I think the biggest problem with rowdy dogs are a lack of exercise. Of course you need attention, discipline, loving, but without exercise most dogs will go crazy. Having a dog is not like having doll, and unfortunately a lot of owners don't realize this.

(edit: language in quote --1992)

I agree the Dog Whisperer has a lot of good ideas and certainly is a valuable resource. He teaches many basic concepts that are very helpful. Really what he does very well is train the owner not the dog. Caesar and the "It's Me Or The Dog," gal both do a wonderful job getting the humans up to snuff. I don't agree on all his ideas.

for instance making the dog wait until you go through a door before allowing him to. There is no evidence at all that the dogs sees that as you being the pack leader but if it gives people a step by step process to go through it certainly has value in that respect. All in all it's a great show for people like you who were just learning about dog training. I think getting multiple points of view is better in that every dog is different. The bigger part of it was you actaully having a desire to do more with your dog. Kudos to you.

If you could get a toy fox terrier to stop that you'd either be a master trainer or something is wrong with the dog. like it's dead.

Archived