Brewer Fanatic

Brandon Phillips Choice Words for the Cardinals (Latest: benches clear; Cueto, Baker, LaRussa suspended; four others fined)

crossface21
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, yeah, I watched it at MLB and Phillips definitely meant it.

Looks to me like Carpenter is the one who really got things going when he said something to Baker. Kind of funny seeing Rolen take three Cardinals to the wall.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Couple things. First it was stupid of Phillips to say anything before the series. Second it was awesome he that he did. I was glad to know it wasn't just the Brewers who have a problem with the holier than thou attitude routinely on display by the Cards. I often felt that was the case but it was nice to hear it from another team's player. AS far as a fight breaking out involving the Cards goes what's new? If baseball got rid of that one team it would reduce hit batters and bench clearing brawls by 50%. Seems like a fair trade. Get rid one one a sanctimonious group of whining babies and reduce the violence in the game all at one. They would make an ideal location for a AAA team. Since we would need another Major league team I say we give NY another one. Then, when the Yankees cry about having to work in the same market size as 99% of the rest of the league, we can laugh at them as well.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

yeah, ideal location for a AAA team when they sell out every game of every season for years...

Cardinals-Reds, don't like either of those teams. The best case scanario for the outcome of that psuedo brawl would have been 4 or 5 both of those teams' best players getting suspended for an extended time, but alas

When the Reds play the Cardinals I root for an 18 inning game so that both teams wear out their bullpen

Couple things. First it was stupid of Phillips to say anything before the series. Second it was awesome he that he did. I was glad to know it wasn't just the Brewers who have a problem with the holier than thou attitude routinely on display by the Cards. I often felt that was the case but it was nice to hear it from another team's player. AS far as a fight breaking out involving the Cards goes what's new? If baseball got rid of that one team it would reduce hit batters and bench clearing brawls by 50%. Seems like a fair trade. Get rid one one a sanctimonious group of whining babies and reduce the violence in the game all at one. They would make an ideal location for a AAA team.

While I can't find any stats. I highly doubt that the Cardinals (whom I like about as much as everyone else on this thread) account for 50% of baseball's hit batters and brawls.. In fact, they average 18th in the league in hit batters, averaging 0.35 batters hit per game. We're 14th with 0.32. Texas is the worst with 0.43. I'm not sure how good the source is, but it's the best I could find.

Also, if STL would be an ideal AAA market I hate to think of what kind of market Milwaukee is. Sure, the city of Milwaukee is twice the size of St. Louis ((roughly 300k vs 600k)) population, but the metropolitan area of STL is 2.8 million (good for 18th in the country) and Milwaukee's is 1.7 million. They've also drawn better, and for longer, than we have. So calling St. Louis a AAA market is just...off base.

I don't like the Cardinals. I'm intersted in seeing how much TLR is responsible for the attitude around the Cardinals, and I want to give Brandon Phillips some sort of medal, but they're about the league average in hitting batters (couldn't find any brawl stats) and STL certainly isn't an AAA market. If it is, Milwaukee is lucky to be an AA market.

It doesnt seem possible that my second favorite team is now in the division but its true for the rest of this year. I hope Gallardo doesnt face the reds the rest of the year so we have no chance of beating them and helping the cards.

Couple things. First it was stupid of Phillips to say anything before the series. Second it was awesome he that he did. I was glad to know it wasn't just the Brewers who have a problem with the holier than thou attitude routinely on display by the Cards. I often felt that was the case but it was nice to hear it from another team's player.
Yep. Had it been a Brewer saying this, I'd react with a facepalm (for the stupid component) while secretly thinking, "Yes!" (for the awesome).

I share TheEndless7's interest in someday knowing how much of the Cardinals' attitude is due to TLR. My hunch for a while has been "quite a bit." There aren't many people in baseball, or on earth, whom I spontaneously boo - but TLR tops the short list.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

yeah, ideal location for a AAA team when they sell out every game of every season for years...

While I can't find any stats. I highly doubt that the Cardinals (whom I like about as much as everyone else on this thread) account for 50% of baseball's hit batters and brawls..

lighten up guys it was tongue in cheek. Maybe it should have been in blue but I thought it was pretty obvious.

There aren't many people in baseball, or on earth, whom I spontaneously boo - but TLR tops the short list.

He's the one guy if the Brewers hired I would have a real problem cheering for. As much as I love the Brewers I just can't see myself cheering for any team he was part of.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
After watching that brawl again, I think Cueto is going bye bye for several games at least.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Backupcatchers wrote:

He's the one guy if the Brewers hired I would have a real problem cheering for. As much as I love the Brewers I just can't see myself cheering for any team he was part of.

Me too. TLR is such a pompous hypocritical jerk it appals me.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

From ESPN:
Cincinnati Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto has been suspended for seven games for his actions during a brawl with the St. Louis Cardinals, and both managers were suspended for two games.

Major League Baseball said Thursday that Cueto, Cardinals manager Tony

La Russa and Reds manager Dusty Baker also were fined undisclosed

amounts.

Four other players were fined but not suspended -- Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter and catcher Yadier Molina, and Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips and relief pitcher Russ Springer.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Community Moderator

I've been away from the outside world for a few days--no Internet or TV--so maybe that explains why I'm in the minority.

St. Louis swept the series and now leads the division. Did the Reds gain anything from this at all? Looks like the Cardinals knocked the Reds back into their place.

The Cubs, Brewers, and Reds have each briefly flirted in the spotlight, but the Cardinals rule the NL Central. Phillips would have been better off saving his comments for the champagne popping in October.

That being said, I agree 100% with Phillips' comments.

St. Louis swept the series and now leads the division.

If this is still the case in Sept, would it be wrong to go any of the 3 games that Cincinnati has at MP and cheer for the Reds?

I agree 100% with Phillips' comments.

I think that is all that most of the comments here have been about, so I'm not sure if you can claim minority status http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

• 1 month later...
Next time Brandon Phillips comes to town I would love to see Milwaukee fans give him a standing ovation.

You guys (and girls) who live within a two hour drive - this is your responsibility. For me it's a two hour flight through the end of the season, after that a four hour flight.

I'm bumping this to remind myself to represent LouisEly at tonight's game. I'm not promising I'll cheer for every Brewer killer thing Brandon does, but for the introductions, I've got your back.

Edit: Done and done. For some reason he didn't look up at the terrace boxes when I said, "This one's for LouisEly!" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Not sure how I missed it back when, but I finally got around to reading the original article. This struck me as pretty funny from LaRussa:

“We win the right way and we lose the right way. We’ve received a lot of compliments over the years that when we lose we tip our caps and when we win we keep our mouths shut. That’s my comment.”

But he added more: “I don’t think...

So you keep your mouth shut, but then go on talking about it? (And, yes, I stopped the quote at that point intentionally)

• 2 weeks later...

Bernie Bytes with a few choice words for the Reds.

I guess when your team is watching the playoffs from home, might as well take a few shots at the champs! But the Reds are the ones who are "whiny" according to Bytes.

* With the Game 1 loss, the Reds are now 17-34

this season in games against NL teams that had winning records. I'm

still trying to understand how and why the Cardinals let themselves

lose out to these guys.

Oh I see. The Reds didn't earn it by beating up on inferior teams; rather the Cards "allowed" it to happen.
Gruber Lawffices

I can't say I'm impressed with Cabrera's comments, but for some (no doubt crazy and mixed-up) reason I'd have guessed the "classy" approach would not involve calling him out and furthering the bad blood. Stay classy...or perhaps "get classy."

Archived