Brewer Fanatic

30th Birthday ideas

jjkoestler

I'll be "celebrating" my 30th birthday on October 22, and I'm trying to decide the best way to ring in my 30s.

Some possible ideas:

1: Packers vs Vikings game on October 24th

2: Badgers vs Iowa game on October 23rd

3: Mock funeral party at my house

4: Crying

5: Renting a cabin for a weekend

6: Combining a few of the ideas

Considerations:

- My friends are awesome and are willing to do anything to make it a great weekend.

- I have friends flying in from Alabama, Alaska, and California and none of them have been to Lambeau or a Badgers game, but getting seats together would be almost impossible.

- I'm willing to blow a decent chunk of change.

- I don't want this to just be a guys trip.

What should I do?

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

If do either #1 or #2, you may end up doing #4, so I guess that would be #6. If you do #2, you may be murdered (game is in Iowa City), so #3 would change from "mock" to "real".

I say rent a cabin near Green Bay, and try to get Packer tickets. That way, you get a whole weekend of celebration. 3 of my top 5 weekends of all-time have been at a cabin, so I highly recommend going that route. Also, you must do 30 beers for 30 years (over the weekend).

Look into getting a bar-tailgate package + tickets to the Packer game if you can't find them via stubhub/whatever else.

A lot of bars put together lots of packages for home games.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

are you single? If you were married, a good portion of your ideas would be off the books right away.

Seriously, the last birthday I had that was remotely memorable was the 21st and even that was tame since I had been drinking my first 2 years of college prior to that anyway.

Birthdays are overrated. Heck, there are many times (I'm not exaggerating) when somebody asks me how old I am and I literally have to think about the answer. And sometimes I'm still unsure if I give the correct age. Drives my wife crazy.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I think #1 and #2 might be more trouble then its worth, when a better time can be had renting a cabin, and watching those games. So, my vote is renting the cabin.

I also strongly recommend, buying scotch older than you and enjoying. I plan on buying this little lovely:

http://www.binnys.com/images/spiritslabels/162451L.jpg

for my 30th. Highland Park 30 year. I think being alive 30 years deserves a reward such as this. 30 is a common age variety on Scotch, so there is plenty to chose from, but I would expect the Highland Park to be fantastic.

I'd rent a cabin or house, maybe in Door County. You'll be right in the midst of fall colors. You'd be if the off-season for rentals, so prices are cheaper. I came across this website yesterday while looking for a cabin in Door County. http://www.vrbo.com/

I agree that it will be very difficult to get that many Packers tickets all seated together, but I think your out-of-state friends would love it if you can swing it.

You only turn 30 once. If you rent a house or cabin, I'd see if you can rent one of those inflatable bounce houses. Maybe, that's just me, though.

I think #1 and #2 might be more trouble then its worth, when a better time can be had renting a cabin, and watching those games. So, my vote is renting the cabin.

I also strongly recommend, buying scotch older than you and enjoying. I plan on buying this little lovely:

http://www.binnys.com/images/spiritslabels/162451L.jpg

for my 30th. Highland Park 30 year. I think being alive 30 years deserves a reward such as this. 30 is a common age variety on Scotch, so there is plenty to chose from, but I would expect the Highland Park to be fantastic.

We got my buddy a $80 bottle of Scotch for his 30th a couple months ago. There is something about expensive Scotch and being older/mature. Of course, we all tasted it, thought it was terrible, then switched to 40s of Malt Liquor.

My 30th birthday was the day after my brother's wedding. I was just glad to get out of the reception without being asked why I wasn't married while knockin' on the door of 30.

Getting more on topic, I thought maybe UW hockey would be a sports alternative for you, but they're in Denver that weekend.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

My 30th birthday was the day after my brother's wedding. I was just glad to get out of the reception without being asked why I wasn't married while knockin' on the door of 30.

My partner and have been together for 9 years, and I think our families have finally given up on us getting married.

Ross- Good call on the scotch. I'll definitely be picking up a nice bottle.

Re Vegas & AC: It would be a blast, but It would price out a few of my buddies.

Right now I'm leaning towards a house/cabin for Friday and Saturday and heading to Green Bay on Sunday. It would be a fun thing for the out-of-towers even if we can't find tickets.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Edit: editing on an iPhone is horrible.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

on my 30th birthday, we went to six flags, went on the demon and eagle about 20 times, we got there at 930am and when the parked open we ran to the demon and we stayed all the way to 10pm. I am still mad they got rid of the title wave.

We got my buddy a $80 bottle of Scotch for his 30th a couple months ago. There is something about expensive Scotch and being older/mature. Of course, we all tasted it, thought it was terrible, then switched to 40s of Malt Liquor.

Yikes. Well, I wish the Highland 30 was only $80, and, what did you get? Were you not scotch drinkers already? Any of it left???

jjk - What is your budget on scotch? Have something in mind? Need a recommendation?

Yikes. Well, I wish the Highland 30 was only $80, and, what did you get? Were you not scotch drinkers already? Any of it left???

jjk - What is your budget on scotch? Have something in mind? Need a recommendation?

I was saving a bottle of Johnny blue, but I busted that open the evening I finished my MBA. Right now I'm working on a bottle of McClelland's Islay. I don't have a particular bottle or price in mind. Some suggestions would be great.

I don't think there is enough virtual ink for me to write out all my thoughts, haha.

I would recommend Highland Park 18 for around $100. It's got a little bit of everything in flavor, little sweet, little earth, little smoke. I find the 18 too smooth, and like the 12 better (good for me since it's cheaper!) but 18 definitely fits the bill for a special occasion. Doesn't have the "holy crap thats a special bottle" look or name recognition though.

Johnnie Walker gold could be good too, sort of that "wow" factor for non-scotch drinker, even thought it's not that special in my opinion.

Lagavulin is regarded as the best Islay, and well worth the money for the 16 year, if you like smokey Islays.

If you want to go the Irish Whiskey route, you have to try Redbreast 12, it is FANTASTIC, and will be much more appreciated by a wider range of people. The more I think about it... you might be best off buying this unless you have a lot of scotch drinkers in the group.

http://www.binnys.com/images/spiritslabels/139751L.jpg

My partner and have been together for 9 years, and I think our families have finally given up on us getting married.

Ross- Good call on the scotch. I'll definitely be picking up a nice bottle.

Re Vegas & AC: It would be a blast, but It would price out a few of my buddies.

Right now I'm leaning towards a house/cabin for Friday and Saturday and heading to Green Bay on Sunday. It would be a fun thing for the out-of-towers even if we can't find tickets.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Edit: editing on an iPhone is horrible.

If you rent a cabin, have an activity planned. I would suggest white water rafting. I've gone twice, and it's super fun, isn't expensive, and doesn't require any skill. Plus you can make a whole afternoon of it.

We got him this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagavulin_Single_Malt

One of my more refined friends recomended it. Scotch just isn't for me no matter the quality. I have my tastes when it comes to booze and I don't think they will be changing anytime soon. I hit 30 in 9 months though so who knows what the future will bring.

One thing I'd recommend is to ask each of your friends to not waste money on something stupid like a T-shirt or gag gift that says "30" on it somewhere, and to donate $30 (or more) to a favorite charity of yours or theirs. We were invited to a housewarming party soon after 9/11 and the host asked to please not get him anything, to give money to those who could use it. That's how I learned about NYPFWCBF, which was started by Rusty Staub, and is now imitated all over the US.

I remember my dad-in-law was shocked at how much crap he got for his 50th b-day, and wished folks would have spent their money on a gift card for everyone to go out to eat, or something that wasn't, in his words, "crap no one will ever use".

We got him this:

One of my more refined friends recomended it. Scotch just isn't for me no matter the quality. I have my tastes when it comes to booze and I don't think they will be changing anytime soon. I hit 30 in 9 months though so who knows what the future will bring.

Oh man! That stuff is the BEST! But, its a very specific taste and very acquired, and can see why people wouldn't be all about having never had it.

That further makes me think the Redbreast 12 would really be the route to go.

We got him this:

Oh man! That stuff is the BEST! But, its a very specific taste and very acquired, and can see why people wouldn't be all about having never had it.

That further makes me think the Redbreast 12 would really be the route to go.

Thats what my friend who suggested it said. And the guy at the liquor store when we bought it. It was just too much for me, but I have no doubt its good stuff. My friend still has a little left. He will let company have it, and will have a glass now and then, but its not something you drink on just a regular Friday when you are pregaming to go out for sure.

Archived