Brewer Fanatic

Jim Edmonds traded to Reds for OF Chris Dickerson

razzzorsharp

Hard not to like a deal that increases the talent level available in 2011+, with minimal cost. I think it's better for Edmonds, who can play what everyone assumes to be his last 2 months of MLB in a pennant chase, as well.

If it means Lorenzo Cain plays almost everyday down the stretch, even better!

Is it just me, or have the Brewers been better than most other teams at finding veteran players who've been out of the majors for at least a year, and making them productive reserves (Kapler, Cirillo, Edmonds)?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What baffles me is that the Cards didn't claim Edmonds, knowing the Reds could use outfield help. Plus, they just dealt Ludwick, so their outfield could use a reserve.

A slam dunk win for the Crew. Another possibility of getting a lefty in the lineup versus a good RHP. Could actually see a Gomez/Dickerson platoon in CF or RF next year. Either one of those two next to Cain in the outfield would make the defense better than this year.

Either Gomez or Dickerson could be invaluable as a pinch runner too. I'm guessing next year's starting staff will make the workload of the pen less next year, so maybe another player on the bench would be possible. Kotteras, Inglett, Gomez/ Dickerson, a Counsell type, and a Edmonds like retread isn't bad.

He very well may have already cleared waivers before the trade took place. A lot of teams put players on waivers in August so trades go through easier.

That's what I thought, too. I'm no expert on this, but I think that most teams put a lot of players on waivers as soon as the trade deadline is over. If someone is claimed, they simply pull them back and can't trade the player. Anyone who gets through is free to trade. Anyone that puts a claim in has to be willing to take the player (and his contract), which is why no one ever blocked Manny Ramirez when Boston put him on waivers... they weren't willing to pick up his mammoth contract.

For example, there's a good chance that the Brewers put Prince on waivers after the deadline. Since he isn't owed that much money, someone could have put a claim in, and the Brewers (who aren't going to give him up for nothing) pulled him off waivers. Or, he could've cleared waivers, opening him up to be traded before the end of the season. No one will really know unless he is traded.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So if someone is claimed they can only be traded to the team that claimed them, but if they are not claimed they can be traded to any team? But in order to be traded at all you must go on waivers first after the trading deadline?

So if someone is claimed they can only be traded to the team that claimed them, but if they are not claimed they can be traded to any team? But in order to be traded at all you must go on waivers first after the trading deadline?
A simple guide: http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/08/03/your-guide-to-understanding-baseballs-waiver-process/

But the basics are: 1) You get put on waivers.

2) NL teams get first shot at NL players, and vice versa for the AL. This is done in reverse order of record (worst to first).

3) If a player is claimed by a team, they have 2 days to either trade for him, or the team who currently owns the player may either pull him back or simply give him up for nothing.

4) If a player goes unclaimed through the waiver process, he is free to be traded to any team, just like any trade before Aug 1st.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I really expected a deal like this at the trade deadline, but better late than never. WOuld be nice if they can swing a couple similar trades for guys like Hoffman, Counsel, or Coffey.
Hoffman isn't going anywhere. Counsell is a possibility, and idk why anyone would even want Coffey right now. He's been pitching pretty badly.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'm happy for Diego. Hopefully he gets a chance at the postseason. I'm also posting to show the new pic of my so in my Avatar. He has a better looking swing than a lot of dudes in high school.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Is it just me, or have the Brewers been better than most other teams at finding veteran players who've been out of the majors for at least a year, and making them productive reserves (Kapler, Cirillo, Edmonds)?
Sure seems like it, especially former Brewers. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me to see Richie Sexson with a ST invite next year.

Edmonds was fun to watch hit this season for us, not so much in the OF.
I had a blast watching him play 1B that one time this year. He was great out there, looked way more natural than Prince. I was all set for half a season of Edmonds at 1B following a deadline deal for Fielder.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Great, another left handed bench bat.

Dickerson seems to be a favorable return for Diego, considering he's likely in his last few months as a big leaguer. I'd warmed up to Diego recently, especially with his penchant for tie-breaking home runs, including one against the Reds a few weeks ago. Watching him hobble around in the outfield and on the bases was painful, but I wish him the best in the twilight of his career, just not against the Brewers.

I didn't figure this would be the last picture of Edmonds I'd get in a Brewers uniform, but it's a good one nonetheless.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/7170/39013812152532918267015.jpg

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I guess I'm not quite understanding Melvin here. First of all, he says Dickerson is a 'contact hitter'- which couldn't be any further from the truth, and secondly he is spinning the 'control' aspect of the deal. Since when is getting control of a AAAA player important? I guess I'm not too upset about trading Edmonds, I'm just not sure that I'm on board with having a guy like Dickerson stealing at bats from some of the younger guys (Gamel in particular).

Pretty funny to see Diego in a Reds uniform and starting in CF already today. Like others, I didn't really like Edmonds as a Brewer, but I think he produced a lot better than many gave him credit for. On another Reds note, I think Mike Leake had a great season but the Reds should shut him down. They have a lot of other great options.

Since when is getting control of a AAAA player important?

He had a .370 OBP last year in his first 'full' season in the bigs. I think he's probably a bit above an AAAA player. He's probably a good 4th OF that will remain cheap for as long as he's useful to the club.

I guess I'm not quite understanding Melvin here. First of all, he says Dickerson is a 'contact hitter'- which couldn't be any further from the truth
I don't really get the "more of a contact hitter than a power hitter" quote either. He strikes out a lot, but has shown some power in the past.

and secondly he is spinning the 'control' aspect of the deal. Since

when is getting control of a AAAA player important? I guess I'm not too

upset about trading Edmonds, I'm just not sure that I'm on board with

having a guy like Dickerson stealing at bats from some of the younger

guys (Gamel in particular).

I'm not sure how you equate Dickerson to a AAAA player. Dickerson's career .367 OBP and solid defense makes him look like a good bench option to me. And if he steals at bats from anyone, it'll probably be Cain.

I have always admired Jim Edmonds and I was glad he got to spend some time in a Brewers uniform. I also do like this trade partially because the return was more than I expected, and also because Lorenzo Cain will get more playing time now.

I wish Edmonds luck except when he plays against us. I hope the Reds beat out the Cardinals because I am so sick of the Cardinals winning year after year.

Does anyone know if Dickerson has options left? The reason I ask is that Gerut's rehab assignment ends on Saturday, and Gomez is eligible to come back on the 18th. Someone has to go, and I know it should just be DFA Gerut and send Gomez to AAA, but I doubt that's gonna happen.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Great addition. I love that we got value because Dusty Baker didn't appriciate Dickerson because Baker doesn't value walks.

I've been banging the drum awhile now for the Brewers to get a good defensive RF, not a 1B, to replace Fielder. As others already mentioned, this could be that guy. Even though I love Cain, I hope they give Dickerson enough ABs to find out what we have in him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived