Brewer Fanatic

Jim Edmonds traded to Reds for OF Chris Dickerson

razzzorsharp

Dickerson isn't completely without power. He's 6'3", 230 lbs and hit between 11 and 14 HR for 3 straight years from 05 to 08. He's been raking at AAA in his rehab assignment. I'm with Jeffryscott. Dickerson would be decent competition for Gamel in RF if Hart moves to 1B and at worst, a solid backup. He might be energized by change of scenery too.

This is definitely getting value where there didn't appear to be much. If Fielder goes, they need some LH bats, and I would imagine Dickerson could give Cain rest against tough lefties.

Who's next, Counsell?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's younger, cheap, and he appears flexible--nuff said. Good minor acquistition.

Oh yeah, and Sveum will have him drop his ala Hart and hit 10 to 15 homers by the end of the season. Now Hoffman and Counsell for similar return.

Great trade. Love it.

Dickerson's ISO in AAA whilst playing in the International League is .189. He may not have prodigious power, but his power is certainly more than good enough against RHP for a center fielder/backup corner outfielder. He plays very good defense, though his struggles against lefties might well preclude him from being an everyday guy.

And yah, he's a little older, but he was the Reds' 12th best prospect going into the 2009 season. He's a bit of a late bloomer.

FWIW, he's a cousin of Eric Dickerson.

Cots has Dickerson at just over one year of service time. I'm assuming his first arby year will be 2012. Is this correct?

This trade looks to be nice for the Brewers, and will probably turn out well for the Reds too. UZR likes Dickerson's defense, as he has posted a 15.1 UZR/150 throughout 600 innings in the corners and 250 innings in center. Obviously a pretty small sample to make a profound judgement of his defensive abilities, but at first glance that's a very good figure. Does anybody else have a better idea of how good he is defensively?

Dickerson would seem to be a solid piece as a 5th OF and needed LH bat off the bench moving forward, especially if the team decides to let Gerut walk this offseason (although I hope they don't). It would be nice if the Brewers could make a similar deal for a utility infielder (trade Counsell for his successor).
Why? Inglett can be the utility infielder and wouldn't cost all that much.

Wow, I'm surprised that they were able to get such a good return for Edmonds, considering it is a waiver deal and he's 40 years old with two bad achilles tendons. Still, I'm sure he'll be a big help for the Reds, who haven't been getting much from their outfielders.

Goodbye and good luck, Diego. It's been a fun few months, even if I couldn't but think of you as a real-life Jack Parkman to start the year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'd actually be interested to see how Cain and Dickerson compare. Both going into the 2009 season were ranked in the 8-15 range as far as each organization's prospects. Neither was to be a certain star, but both seemed to be on the way to possibly nailing down a starting position in the majors. People that are brushing Dickerson aside might want to look deeper at how he compares to Cain, despite being a couple years older.

Judging by what appears to be Red fans comments in the mlbtr thread, Dickerson's best position is CF. The fact he can play all three positions though makes me hope Cain claims CF to himself and Dickerson becomes a cheap and useful bench guy as a 4/5 outfielder.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Here's a thought (and probably a bad one), but if it did work out that Dickerson were an everyday player in '11, and he continues to show the OBP skill that he's displayed so far (.370-ish OBP) would he be a candidate to hit leadoff and let Rickie hit in a more run producing spot in the order?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think it's possible, Roco, if the team feels better served that way. Dickerson has been a really good base stealer in the minors so he's definitely fleet of foot.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

As for Gerut, he will be a FA after this year, easily. I meant he won't be offered arby, as he might accept it. However, it doesn't matter, as I'm 98% sure he will not garner a pick anyway, being hurt all year.

Counsell would have a ton of value to a contender or two, but Inglett can't play SS every day. Cruz is on the 40 and having a fine year, so if Craig would want to go elsewhere, that would not be a sticking point.

Yawn. An older lefty swinging outfielder. A big guy who's shown very little power. Reminds me of Gabe Gross, except he strikes out a ton.
Not sure what you expected the Brewers to get for a half-octogenarian with bad wheels and two months remaining with a team that isn't going to make the playoffs. It's a pretty solid return for Melvin.

Thank goodness Edmonds is gone. Now all we have to do is somehow pick up a right handed hitting outfielder and we have our replacement for Hart when he leaves after 2011. Wait we extended him? Why?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Well, they fulfilled part of the "wish list" for the rest of the season I posted earlier today in another thread, about giving us something to talk about.

This was a perfectly logical trade. Dickerson should be a suitable backup for next season. Worst case, if he's terrible, they can non-tender him after next season.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Man he strikes out a lot but if you could pencil in his 162 game average from the Majors, you're looking at quite the addition for the Crew. Love the OBP, especially compared to CarGo. Like everyone else, I pray Cain turns out to be the CF, but if we could get Dickerson's 162 game average production from the leadoff spot, I'd be ecstatic if for no other reason than we can move Rickie to 3 or 5.

It isn't a couple of years, its 4 which is basically a generation in terms of prospects.
OK, let me rephrase and be more blunt. Dickerson is definitely the older player, but he might be a better player than Cain. And still cheap and controllable for a long time.

The point is that Dickerson is likely at his peak while Cain likely has 3-5 years to improve.

I am moderately surprised that it took until reply #32 in the thread for the word "Diego" to come up.

I agree with crewcrazy's comparison to Jack Parkman - to me, Edmonds gave off something of a mercenary vibe in joining the Brewers and muscling his way onto the roster. However, even my attitude on him began to soften the last couple of weeks.

So thanks for playing. I appreciate your contributions. Go Diego, go.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

BA's scouting report of Dickerson from last year was pretty glowing. He received positive reports on his defense in CF along with his ability to play all 3 OF spots. There was some concern then about his ability to hit LHP, but hitting RHP is a bigger priority for the Brewers given their RH heavy hitting lineup. They also said he has 25-30 stolen base potential if he plays regularly, although that doesn't seem likely now. Basically he could be the next Podsednik/McGehee diamond in the rough that just needs to be given a chance.

Inglett can be the utility infielder and wouldn't cost all that much.

Al already mentioned this, but Inglett can't play SS.

I agree with crewcrazy's compairson to Jack Parkman - to me, Edmonds gave off something of a mercenary vibe in joining the Brewers and muscling your way onto the roster. However, even my attitude on him began to soften the last couple of weeks.

That is how I felt about him as well, except for that softening part. One reason I never got behind the nickname part of it. I don't go along with nicknames for players I don't like. Positive or neutral nicknames anyway. I did and still do refer to Wes Helms as fatty.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived