Brewer Fanatic

Jim Edmonds traded to Reds for OF Chris Dickerson

razzzorsharp

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quoth ESPN (in its entirety):
Jim Edmonds has told ESPN's Eduardo Perez in a text message that he has been traded from the Milwaukee Brewers to the Cincinnati Reds.

The Reds host one of Edmonds' former teams, the St. Louis Cardinals, in a crucial three-game series starting Monday night (ESPN, 7 ET). The Reds led the Cardinals by two games in the NL Central entering Monday's games.

The veteran outfielder was batting .286 with 6 home runs and 20 RBIs in 73 games entering Monday's games.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

A replacement for Jody Gerut next year.... a LH 4th OF type.

Good job, Crew. Getting something for a soon-to-be nothing.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Dickerson would seem to be a solid piece as a 5th OF and needed LH bat off the bench moving forward, especially if the team decides to let Gerut walk this offseason (although I hope they don't). It would be nice if the Brewers could make a similar deal for a utility infielder (trade Counsell for his successor).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nice move for next year. I liked Dickerson when he came up. I even liked him in '09. Despite not showing any power, he still drew a lot of walks and carried a .370 OBP for 300-ish plate appearances. He only had 1 walk in 45 this year. I have to consider that an anomaly given the sample size, and hope that he bounces back and shows good OBP skills again next year.

Like others, I don't want to see him platooning with Cain, but it also wouldn't be the end of the world if this guy ended up getting 250 plate appearances either.

i like the trade since it makes Cain the everyday CF. I wonder what the corresponding move will be since Dickerson is on the DL. Gamel would be nice but I don't want him just to sit up here while he is playing decent in Nashville.

EDIT: never mind looks like he could join the brewers as early as tonight. no move needed.

Very nice return for 45 days of Edmonds. Just under .400/.500 in AAA, and he can play all 3 OF spots. 28, so he's no high ceiling kid, but he might have a nice run as a cheap reserve. I've wondered aloud why he did not get more playing time instead of Nix.

Colby, I can't believe they'll offer Gerut arby, he might get a couple mil. Dickerson and Inglett will be cheaper and just as effective.

I agree, I just have always liked Gerut and was happy the day they acquired him. I feel better about the OF having him as the 4th guy than Dickerson and/or Inglett, but also agree that financially he's not worth going out of your way to keep around.

I like the move, Mr. Melvin. Dickerson should be a cheap OF reserve, as a LH bat with some pop... as long as he recovers fully from his wrist surgery. The following quotes on Dickerson are from Reds' MLB.com beat writer Mark Sheldon's blog:

Link[/url'>]The not so good:

Chris Dickerson went down in the second inning with a sprained right wrist. He's getting an MRI in Cincinnati on Friday.

Link]The Reds made the roster move that was expected. Chris Dickerson was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right wrist. Outfielder Chris Heisey was called up from Triple-A Louisville.

UPDATE at 7:11 pm ET -- The MRI on Dickerson today revealed that he has a broken hook on the hamate bone in his right wrist. It won't be known until Saturday how much time he will miss.

Link[/url'>]From the club: OF Chris Dickerson on Monday will have surgery to remove the hook of the hamate bone in his right hand along with arthroscopic surgery on his sprained right wrist. A prognosis for recovery will be determined at that time. Dr. Tim Kremchek will perform the procedure.

And Sheldon now has a blog post on the deal:

While it was only 55 PAs, Dickerson obliterated AAA pitching to the tune of a nearly 1.300 OPS in his rehab stint. Probably safe to say he's back to full health.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Where is the idea that Gerut has one more year of arby left coming from? Cot's has him at 5.096 years of service time to start the year. I'm not saying that isn't true he isn't at 6 years yet just that I would like to see his true service time and it would Gerut's 5th arby year to boot.

Archived