Brewer Fanatic

What would it take to make this season NOT a disappointment?

dlk9s
It's not during the season, but it would be the day after the season is over....the announcement that the zim-zam is over and Macha is gone. As for during the season, keep the hitting going that they've been doing recently, Manny Parra somehow proving himself to be a MLB pitcher, and get the young guys a chance to play and succeed.

To begin with, I'd like to see Macha gone. I'd almost rather it happened before the season is over, just so we can get a better sample size of what Dale Sveum can do as a manager (yes, I think he should be the manager). As for making this season less disappointing for me:

1) Get as much playing time for the young guys as possible.

2) Get Dickerson some playing time, as well.

3) Give our current starters some rest, let some young guys get a few starts (I like the piggyback system). Say, bring up Amaury Rivas and Mark Rogers, and have Rivas start a game with Rogers as the piggyback starter, just to see what we've got in them. Bring up Jeremy Jeffress, too, to see what he's got in him in.

As for record, I don't really care. I'd almost rather we finish below .500, because it would basically guarantee that there is no way Macha comes back. If we finish off strong, Melvin might just pick up Macha's option for 2011, which would make this season a complete disappointment for me.

Second me for Sveum as the manager. If not Sveum, go with Don Money. Both have paid their dues with the organization, and know the players well. Enough of going outside of the organization for managers. The Brewers haven't hired from within since Trebelhorn 24 years ago, and that one worked out pretty well. No more retreads from another organization, and no first timers who don't have any background with the players whatsoever.

why Dale Sveum as manager? i don't really believe that tenure makes anyone more capable at being a manager than anyone else. i don't think we'd be any worse off with a manager from outside the organization than one from inside. plus, if it's Sveum, then why not Randolph?

the season is a disappointment for me because i thought we at least had enough talent to make the playoffs this year (or at least compete). but yeah, i sure hope the young kids get all the playing time in the world right now.

It's funny what a couple strong games can do for a player. McGehee's BA back up to .285, OPS is .821. Just having a really solid year all around thus far. I know people will always pan him for his defense, but he's been a bright spot in the lineup since last season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Second me for Sveum as the manager. If not Sveum, go with Don Money. Both have paid their dues with the organization, and know the players well. Enough of going outside of the organization for managers. The Brewers haven't hired from within since Trebelhorn 24 years ago, and that one worked out pretty well. No more retreads from another organization, and no first timers who don't have any background with the players whatsoever.

Sveum's strength is that he's perceived as "one of the guys" by the players. They can confide in him with any issues, including issues with Macha. I jsut don't see Sveum being as effective in the top role. I think he thrives doing what he's doing now.

Sveum's strength is that he's perceived as "one of the guys" by the players. They can confide in him with any issues, including issues with Macha. I jsut don't see Sveum being as effective in the top role. I think he thrives doing what he's doing now.
Is that necessarily a bad thing though? Macha's style certainly hasn't worked. If this organization is going to go for it one last time with this core next season, they may as well give Sveum a chance. If it doesn't work, things will be blown up anyways for 2012. I think that Money would be a good choice as well, though he is pretty old to be a first time manager. That said, even at his age, he can't be any more detached from the clubhouse than Macha is.

that's a really good point about McGehee. i was one of many who was expecting a sophomore slump, but he's ended up really solid offensively. definitely the defense is rough, but then we're also talking about a guy we picked up for nothing and aren't paying $9M per season. plus without him it would have been Gamel starting, playing a similar level of defense and you'd figure not as solid offensively quite yet.

at the least, this team really has all the pieces in place to be a contender. and i think Wolf is going to have a much better year next year, too.

at the least, this team really has all the pieces in place to be a contender. and i think Wolf is going to have a much better year next year, too.
I think this is the key right here. The focus should be on giving the younger guys as much playing time, because I really think next year is going to be a good year, as long as the extra money that will be available is spent wisely. But between the core group of guys in Milwaukee now, and the guys coming up, there's a lot of potential coming along to help in Milwaukee or to be used as chips in trade. Depending on what's needed.

The Brewers would have to finish above .500.

To feel not as irked if the Brewers don't finish above .500:

1) Continued improvement of the youngsters.

2) Dickerson finishing with respectable Brewer stats.

3) Five guys with 100 RBIs (Hart, McGehee, Weeks, Braun and Fielder). I know this is a stretch, but it would be so cool!

4) Gamel coming up in September and NOT looking like he has a huge hole in his swing and can actually play some defense at any position.

I was expecting a 77 win season, so I'm not really disappointed. I am sad that the team was going to be this bad with this much talent on it.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived