Brewer Fanatic

Chris Davis

If Davis could get some plate discipline he would be a great hitter but there lies the problem he has absolutely no plate discipline at all. The power is there he could be a Deer or Branyan type of player but until he learns how to be patient at the plate he won't be anything special. He really needs to learn some plate discipline at the MLB level he shows it in the minors but whenever he is called up he shows absolutely no plate discipline at all. 2009 OBP .284; 2010 OBP .265; that is beyond horrible. I am not sure if Davis will ever be the player he should be but he would be worth taking a shot with. I am not sure where his trade value is though.

I don't see why we'd want him. He seems to be a lot like Carlos Gomez. Good minor league numbers but no major league success. We have plenty of guys capable of playing first base. If we make a trade, I don't think we need a first basemen in return. We need pitching and lots of it.

I can see why alot of teams are interested in Davis, but he doesn't fit us, as Paul253 said, we have too many 1Bs already. What we need to replace Prince is a good defensive RF.

He seems to be a lot like Carlos Gomez. Good minor league numbers but no major league success.

How does that make him like Gomez? Gomez sucked in the minors too. He may have been a highly rated prospect, but that was for his tools, the ones he never learned how to use.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If Davis could get some plate discipline he would be a great hitter but there lies the problem he has absolutely no plate discipline at all. The power is there he could be a Deer or Branyan type of player but until he learns how to be patient at the plate he won't be anything special. He really needs to learn some plate discipline at the MLB level he shows it in the minors but whenever he is called up he shows absolutely no plate discipline at all. 2009 OBP .284; 2010 OBP .265; that is beyond horrible. I am not sure if Davis will ever be the player he should be but he would be worth taking a shot with. I am not sure where his trade value is though.

I don't buy the Branyan or Deer comparisons at all and heaven forbid the Gomez comparison.. Davis is a .342 hitter in 600+ AAA at bats. Branyan was a .260 hitter at AAA and Deer hit .245 there. Gomez never hit higher than .286 anywhere. Guys with as bad a plate discipline as you describe don't hit .342 in A ball much less AAA. Why has he struggled so far in the big leagues? Probably because it just came so easy for him in the minors that he got some sloppy habit that big league pitchers exploited. Plus he's probably a bit over anxious. But he's only 24 and has terrific talent. Nelson Cruz had no plate discipline at 25 and 26 in first couple major league trials.

and heaven forbid the Gomez comparison.

Just to clarify, I wasn't comparing Davis and Gomez in terms of them being similar type players. I just meant that they both came with a lot of hype but have done nothing in the majors to back it up yet. If we are going to take a chance on somebody, it needs to be a pitcher, not a first basemen.

If we are going to take a chance on somebody, it needs to be a pitcher, not a first basemen.
Paul, I agree with this statement, but I think there are a host of people here that don't see Davis as somebody we'd be taking a "chance" on. I think a lot of people here are very confident Davis will pan out. If you see him just as 50/50 at making it in the majors, I agree we should target a pitcher 50/50 on making it. But I think a lot of people see him as more of a sure thing to pan out in the majors.

How does that make him like Gomez? Gomez sucked in the minors too. He may have been a highly rated prospect, but that was for his tools, the ones he never learned how to use.
Saying Gomez "sucked" in the minors is greatly, greatly exaggerating the situation.

As a 21 year old kid with superstar defense in CF, he put up a line up .275/.355/.392 with a .747 OPS between A+ and AAA.

At 19 in AA he had a VERY good year putting up a.281/.350/.423 line with a .773 OPS

At 18 in in Hi A he put up a line of .275/.331/.376 for a .707 OPS.

So I think there was every reason to believe he'd be a very good big leaguer. Hell, I think he still could if he could spend a year in AAA(or if we could crush up some sedatives in the 25 Red Bulls he HAS to drink before every game.

So for a kid who had those exceptional tools, and a kid who was a incredible defender out in CF, those are pretty good numbers he put up and he was always young for his league.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived