Brewer Fanatic

Sept callups [Latest: Macha says 2 pitchers, 1 position player on 9/1]

DHonks
Sage]
X ellence wrote:

The teams with numerous fireballers in the bullpen have made trades to stock their bullpens. Melvin hasn't traded for a hard throwing pitcher in years.

So, Todd Coffey just magically evolved from nothing,

We traded for Coffey? Really? Who'd we give up? Not only did we not trade for him when he was available, we didn't even claim him on waivers. Coffey was home twiddling his thumbs before we picked him up.

As for Sebathia, like I said, that was years ago now, and he wasn't a longterm solution. We knew we needed more pitching once he was gone, and yet we've gone years now without bringing in a hard thrower.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What does it matter how quality pitchers are acquired? Melvin acquired Coffey (the technicalities don't matter); and we have three good young relievers right now in Braddock, Loe, and Axford. What is your point exactly? Or is this just another excuse to mindlessly bash Melvin?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

What does it matter how quality pitchers are acquired?

It shows how other teams make pitching a priority, while with this team there's less sense of urgency. By no coincidence, the teams that trade for pitching have better pitching than the Brewers. So I guess I wasn't as "mindless" I you suggested, was I?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The Brewers have made pitching a priority in the draft for about the past four years.

Hilarious. Ya, those picks should really be expected to help the MLB team this year and next. Are you saying Melvin advised his scouting director to stop taking the best player available, and instead take pitchers? I don't think that happened. They've continued to take the best player available. Over the last 4 years, in the top 3 rounds (the rounds that actually produce players) The Brewers have drafted 9 position players and 9 pitchers. Your statement lacks fact, and by making you've actually suggested the GM did something moronic, but I've discredited it. My criticisms are fair, your accidental criticism was not.

The Brewers haven't traded for a pitcher in over 2 years, and that needs to change.

Speaking of September callups, has anyone noticed that Tim Dillard has put together back to back outstanding starts. He's not on the 40 man currently, but I expect he's going to be added and he's going to get a look in the rotation from here on out.

Tim Dillard? He has a 4+ ERA in AAA despite relieving most of the year. He's 26, and his K numbers have been mediocre at best. I don't see him as a SP at all, and probably a longshot to have more than a cup of coffee even in the bullpen. He has a long career to look at, I'm not sure why we need to see him start a couple times in September to get a read on the guy.

I see him as a nice guy to have at AAA, and maybe he'll find something. Heck, put together 100-150 quality innings in AAA, not a couple starts.

Tim Dillard? He has a 4+ ERA in AAA despite relieving most of the year. He's 26, and his K numbers have been mediocre at best. I don't see him as a SP at all, and probably a longshot to have more than a cup of coffee even in the bullpen. He has a long career to look at, I'm not sure why we need to see him start a couple times in September to get a read on the guy.

I see him as a nice guy to have at AAA, and maybe he'll find something. Heck, put together 100-150 quality innings in AAA, not a couple starts.

He's coming off 2 outstanding starts, he's stretched out yet has less than 100 innings. This is the time you look at all options. Dillard's had a solid year. He's allowed only 83 hits in 95 IP. He's got a WHIP under 1.2. There's lots of guys on other non-contenders with those type numbers getting look sees. The Brewers can't afford not to explore options they have.

As I said, do it in AAA. Spring training is a tiny, meaningless sample. So is September. A start or two should not make any difference.

TD has decent secondary stats, but his K/9 is low for AAA success to carry over. He pitched all of last year barely striking out anyone. You gotta wonder if he "gets it" at all.

Dillard had "stuff" when he was up in '08, but he has not shown the ability to retire AAA hitters consistently. I'd love to see him succeed, as I thought he'd at least be a cheap middle reliever for a couple years. As of yet though, he simply has not done it.

I'd be very happy if it was Gamel, Jeffress, and Villanueva. Maybe Rivas gets called up after Huntsville's season is done and gets a spot start or something.

Macha's hint sounds like Gamel, Villanueva, & Jeffress. If Kintzler were in the mix, that'd seem good, too. But I doubt Rivas is called up unless there's a real need for him.

That's my guess too, but Stetter has been awful in AAA, so I hope it's Jeffress as you said.
Stetter has been what he is in AAA, a guy who just keeps getting lefties out. He's at 15K/9 vs LHB with a 1.06 WHIP and a .190 BAA vs LHB. It would suck to not have him brought up, simply because it would free Braddock up to pitch more important (ie: Hoffman's) innings. Instead of coming in to face a lefty or two.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Why bring back Villanueva? He's merely a decent AAA reliever. He's no different than Chris Smith. Throw in the fact that he's arby eligible after the season, and he becomes a definite non-tender candidate.

I'd love to see the hard throwing Kintzler. It would be great next year to have numerous relievers with both MLB experience and available options. Rather than carrying 13 pitchers when the staff is gassed, just yo-yo the 12th guys between AAA and the bigs. Thats what everyone else does, but Melvin can't because he insists on a proven veteran bullpen filled with guys with multi-year contracts and no options. We finally have a couple of relievers with options, but it wouldn't be a real good idea to yo-yo your set-up man and closer.

I'm frightened that Melvin will ignore the young arms he has and sign another veteran reliever this offseason. You would think a good September by Jeffress, Kintzler, and McClendon would prevent that, but Axford's strong finish last year didn't prevent the Hawkins signing.

Haudricourt doesn't seem to think Gamel will be the position player. THwitter:

@BerniesCrew Not sure Gamel comes up until they're done playing because he's not going to play with Brewers. Maybe Cruz, Villa, Jeffress.

Doesn't mean Gamel won't be up eventually, but if it's about making sure Gamel gets his PT, I can live with it. It wouldn't be exciting, but TH is right about Gamel not playing anywhere if he comes up to Milwaukee right away on the 1st.

Don't think it'll be Kintzler. He was named to the AFL yesterday, and while it wouldn't necessarily mean they wouldn't bring him up, I don't know if they would want him throwing so much this year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Don't think it'll be Kintzler. He was named to the AFL yesterday, and while it wouldn't necessarily mean they wouldn't bring him up, I don't know if they would want him throwing so much this year.

I would think he'd be more likely to come up because of the upcoming AFL stint. I think it would be better to keep his arm in use, than to have him shut it down for a month and then start over.

I do agree that its better to let Gamell play everyday in AAA until the end of their season, and then come up.

Dillard had "stuff" when he was up in '08, but he has not shown the ability to retire AAA hitters consistently. I'd love to see him succeed, as I thought he'd at least be a cheap middle reliever for a couple years. As of yet though, he simply has not done it.

I don't totally agree with you though there is some truth to that, but you can't ignore the fact that his recent form is the best among any starter they have at either Nashville or Huntsville. Nobody's saying he's still not a longshot, but they'd have nothing to lose looking at him for a month as a starter (particularly in place of a FA to be in Bush that I can't believe will be back next year) much as they did with Narveson last year. Granted Narveson has had his issues, but he does have the the second best peripherals among Brewer starters this year (insert joke about tallest midget here). My point is the Brewers should be turning over every stone in search for starting pitching.

Didn't Dillard make a major mechanical adjustment to begin this year? Didn't he change his armslot or something? Was that why he threw poorly to begin the season? He sure has been on fire recently.

Archived