Brewer Fanatic

Sept callups [Latest: Macha says 2 pitchers, 1 position player on 9/1]

DHonks
I think if the Brewers are 15 GB of the division in September I would play/start Gamel nearly everyday. I honestly want to see what he brings to the table because he is our future as we know it

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewers bullpen has been making a lot of appearances lately. Not a lot of innings, but at lot of appearances. They need to make sure that Braddock and Loe don't get burnt out from getting up so often. I agree you'll see Villanueva, Stetter, Butler, and quite possibly Jeffress.

Interesting stat - in the last month, only once has a Brewers starter gone 7 innings or more (and it was exactly 7 innings). Only once in the last month has a Brewers starter gone less than 5 innings (you'd be surprised who that was).

As for roster space, they could easily put Zaun and Estrada on the 60-day to clear up two spots. As for needing spots before the Rule 5 draft in December, by my estimates they will clear at least five spots in Zaun, Riske, Hoffman, Edmonds, and Davis and possibly five more in Bush, Capuano, Counsell, Estrada, and Gerut. 2011 will be Periard's last option year so they may remove him from the 40-man as well. Finding space on the 40-man will not be a problem.

I think if the Brewers are 15 GB of the division in September I would play/start Gamel nearly everyday. I honestly want to see what he brings to the table because he is our future as we know it
Where would he be playing almost everyday? There's no way that Fielder, McGehee, or Hart will be on the bench. It's unrealistic to think that the Brewers would do something like that even though it would be nice to get him the at-bats. Now as far as Lorenzo Cain goes, that is in fact possible. Gomez and Edmonds can easily be justified to ride the bench the rest of the year to let Cain play everyday. Will it happen? No. But I think Cain will at least get a good number of starts throughout the rest of the season.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

There's no way that Fielder, McGehee, or Hart will be on the bench

Why shouldn't McGehee be on the bench? His OPS has been in a freefall since May, and he is the worst defensive 3B in the majors. Sadly, we need to play Gamel at 3B to improve our defense. Never thought I'd say that.

Donovan Hand and Mike McClendon continue to pitch their way into our September plans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I just don't see the terrible defense, especially lately. He doesn't have good range, but he's been picking everything hit his way recently. He comes in well on the ball, and has a good, accurate arm. If Escobar (who has good range) can continue to improve his defense, I would much rather have a 3B with a good arm and good glove than one with more range, but an inaccurate arm and questionable glove. In other words, if your SS has good range, why does the 3B need good range? As long as he doesn't boot the ball or throw it away he'll be fine.

I won't be upset if the Brewers decide to trade McGehee to let Gamel take over at 3B, but in my opinion it would be a big mistake to sit McGehee in September to let Gamel play everyday. It really wouldn't solve anything, and would diminish Casey's trade value if that's the route the Brewers wanted to go.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 3 weeks later...

from jsonline . . .

Barring the unforeseen, Macha said the plan is to give Capuano several starts, perhaps until the end of the season. At this time, he said there are no plans to call up a starting pitcher in September when rosters can be expanded.

"I talked with Doug (Melvin) and he said we'll probably get a couple of relief pitchers," said Macha. "We're going to give (Capuano) a number of starts."

who going to take Naverson or Bush spots if they are not calling any starters up

You say that as though you think Melvin realizes they both suck.

I'm pretty disappointed that Melvin won't bring up any starters. At the least, bring up Rivas and give him a start or two. It can't hurt. As for relievers, we all know we'll be seeing Villa again, and maybe Stetter. Probably Jeffress as well, if I had to guess. For hitters, I'd say Cruz and Maldonado would be called up. Cruz is probably going to be our Counsell of the future, so we should see what he can do (give him a few starts around the infield, see what happens). Maldonado could give Lucroy another day off (besides when Wolf pitches), and be a righty off the bench (not that he can hit very well). Obviously, I don't think we're going to see another OFer up in September.

At the least, bring up Rivas and give him a start or two. It can't hurt.

Sure it can. He can accumulate service time in a lost season. Much better to let him finish the season in the minors and then place him and promote him as warranted next year. If he looks ready after a couple of weeks, he can be brought up in 2011 and the Brewers will get most of a 7th year out of him.

kramnoj, don't forget the good will to the prospects of rewarding them for a strong season. 1 month in the big leagues would make more money than the rest of the season. They'd also learn what it means to be in the big leagues in low stress situations. I don't care about one month of service time. I care about the salary ramifications, travel ramifications, and psychological ramifications. I'd like Jeffress and Rogers, because I want them to get a taste of the show. Same goes for Rivas. Gamel is a lefty bat that should be rewarded for his season. Why diss him now when we'll need him soon?

If the Brewers feel a Sep callup is an appropriate reward for a player for the reasons that you mention, they will know better than I. But it should be noted that Braun didn't get a Sep callup, and it didn't prevent him from signing a team friendly deal.

It would be nice to see Rivas get a start and Jeffress pitch out of the bullpen. I would assume Gamel is a no brainer, but I'm just not sure how much he will play. Get some pinch hit AB's and maybe a couple of starts? If he does get some starts my guess is they would be at 3B and RF to give McGehee or Hart a day off.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I don't know about the rest of you, but aren't you tired of seeing teams trot one mid to upper 90's reliever after another out there against the Brewers? Don't you ask yourselves why the Brewers aren't producing guys like that? It's the inability to produce these guys from within that's caused Melvin to waste 10's of millions on over the hill relievers the last 4-5 years. They finally came up with Axford this year but they could use one or two more.

I can't see any reason for the Brewers not to bring up Jeffress. Maybe at some point, he can be converted back to a starter, but they need his talent on the major league roster in some capacity.

I don't know about the rest of you, but aren't you tired of seeing teams trot one mid to upper 90's reliever after another out there against the Brewers? Don't you ask yourselves why the Brewers aren't producing guys like that? It's the inability to produce these guys from within that's caused Melvin to waste 10's of millions on over the hill relievers the last 4-5 years. They finally came up with Axford this year but they could use one or two more.

I can't see any reason for the Brewers not to bring up Jeffress. Maybe at some point, he can be converted back to a starter, but they need his talent on the major league roster in some capacity.

Braddock?

I'm still mad about the whole Hawkins thing. You knew he was going to be hurt for the majority of the season once Macha left him out in that one inning in Chicago really early in the season. Now that I looked back at his game log, it was April 14th, in which he threw 39 pitches in one inning, in Chicago, and if I remember right, it was pretty cold that day? There's no reason for a middle reliever to be throwing 39 pitches in one inning, especially in April in cold weather.

The teams with numerous fireballers in the bullpen have made trades to stock their bullpens. Melvin hasn't traded for a hard throwing pitcher in years.

Our farm system is starting to produce quality relievers, and I'm excited to see Jeffress and Kitzler this September. I hope they both gets regular work, and gain as much experience as possible, along with McClendon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The teams with numerous fireballers in the bullpen have made trades to stock their bullpens. Melvin hasn't traded for a hard throwing pitcher in years.

Our farm system is starting to produce quality relievers, and I'm excited to see Jeffress and Kitzler this September. I hope they both gets regular work, and gain as much experience as possible, along with McClendon.

Todd Coffey just appeared via stork

So, Todd Coffey just magically evolved from nothing, and C.C. Sabathia was a soft-tosser I assume?

Sarcasm aside, we have a fair amount of hard-throwing pitchers (Braddock, Axford, Parra, Gallardo, Coffey) with several hard-throwers on their way up. However, I'd like more than one starter that can throw above 90 MPH. Melvin appears to understand that, judging by his statements made earlier about how he will be evaluating pitching (6-2 or taller, solid pitching mechanics, good fastball, etc.).

On topic, anyone else thinking that we're going to perhaps see Wily Peralta this September?

Archived