Brewer Fanatic

Ranking the Brewers starters

paul253

Taking a cue from another thread, there are a lot of intriguing starting prospects in the Brewers system right now. I was wondering how some of the people more in the know than me would rank the following as far as who has the best chance to have success at the MLB level. I'm thinking of Odorizzi, Heckathorn, Scarpetta, Peralta, Rogers, and Rivas. I'd go like this:

1) Odorizzi

2) Rivas

3) Rogers

4) Peralta

5) Scarpetta

6) Heckathorn

Just a side note if Rogers ever improves his control I'd move him up to #1 on the list.

I guess I'd move Heckathorn up based on performance. Rogers has suddenly got very interesting with all of his pitches. Though it leads to some interesting questions. Have the results improved because it's really hard for batters to prep and guess on a guy who has that many pitches? Is it an issue of lack of a scouting report by other teams with the new pitch? Is it Rogers feeling more comfortable on the mound that he can throw what he wants? Or is it the case that he can pick and choose which pitches are actually working for him on any given night, instead of trying to force a pitch he can throw, but doesn't have the feel for on that night. It will be interesting to see how the last month of the minor league season plays out. Anybody think Rogers could get a call-up and maybe an extended look in spring if he keeps throwing so well?

arent these threads kinda what the power 50 does?

Yeah kind of. But I wanted to compare these 6 specifically against each other because they seem to be the best of the pitching prospects by a wide margin. I imagine there'd be a lot of differing opinions on who would have the best chance at MLB success.

i think lasker, based on performance would be making some head-way on any list, that involves good brewer farm system pitching after these last two years.

I would put Bucci on the list as well. He's not a "wide margin" below this group, nor is Lasker.

I don't think Arnett can be written off either.

I would say in order of how excited I to see the link report when they pitch it goes

1A. Rogers- just love his stuff. If he can find the zone like he has lately watch out

1B. Odorizzi - Nice WHIP, strikes a lot of guys out. Would love to see him in AA next year.

3. Rivas - One of the guys who does not walk many people or get hit much.

4. Heckathorn - Does not get the K's but the ball never seems to get in air off the opponents bats.

4. Peralta - Some scouts loved him. Worried about his k numbers being down, with his walks going up.

6. Scarpetta - Similar story - too many walks but great K numbers. He did have a nice stretch where he was limiting the walks.

Guys like Butler, Lasker, and even Arnett are some of the others that are fun to keep tabs on.

I would put Bucci on the list as well. He's not a "wide margin" below this group, nor is Lasker.

I think Lasker is definitely one to keep an eye on. Bucci needs to cut down on his walks a little more for me to be excited. When I look at Odorizzi, he is just dominating hitters. Rogers too (64 hits allowed in over 93 innings). If he ever improves his command, look out. Rivas has had a lot of success all the way through AA. Peralta and Scarpetta have shown flashes of dominance as well.

Lasker and Odorizzi have almost identical numbers in nearly every way, with Odorizzi with a much higher K rate (about 10K/9IP, versus about 6.5K/9IP). So while Odorizzi is an excellent prospect, Lasker is right there with him.

Lasker and Odorizzi have almost identical numbers in nearly every way, with Odorizzi with a much higher K rate (about 10K/9IP, versus about 6.5K/9IP). So while Odorizzi is an excellent prospect, Lasker is right there with him.
Not to knock Maverick, but the K rate is a big thing. There are less and less bad bats as you work your way up, so the high K pitcher is a better prospect. I remember hearing their velocities are quite different too. I like Maverick as a prospect but I do not think you can say he is right there with Jake when he strikes out 3.5 less guys per 9. That is a lot different.

OK -- poorly phrased. I did not mean up there as 1a and 1b, but just should be on the short list. I was just impressed at how similar the other stats were (BAA, BB/9IP, WHIP) and that 10K/9IP makes Odorizzi a clear #1 pitching prospect. Lasker has had a nice season, and from reports in his draft year he profiles as a good starting pitcher.

Archived