Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB news that is pointless to say anywhere else thread

Principessa21

If you like feel good stories look up John Lindsey. A 33 year old rookie with over 5000 minor league ABs finally got his first major league AB last light.

I saw him play several times in AAA, and he can really hit. Raw power enough to be a big-leaguer, but injuries seemed to have just completely derailed his career. I'm happy for him to have finally gotten to the Show.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"If our guys had did it, I would have applauded that. It's a great performance on his part," the Tampa Bay manager said. "Several players are very good at that. And again, I'm not denigrating it. If our guy does it, I'm very happy with that if we end up getting the call. ... Fortunately it didn't cost us."

Maybe I'm just naive, but I thought baseball was about good sportsmanship.

Apparently we need to teach our little leaguers that they need to start hamming up fake HBPs.

Maybe I'm just naive, but I thought baseball was about good sportsmanship.

Apparently we need to teach our little leaguers that they need to start hamming up fake HBPs.

Out of curiosity, do you have a problem with an outfielder lifting his glove up to show the ump that he "caught" the ball when he actually trapped it? Is it poor sportsmanship for a catcher to frame a pitch that was just off the plate?

I think people have a problem with Jeter's fake HBP because a) it is rare, b) he really went nuts with the sell job, and c) it was the Yankees.

It was Jeter's job to get on base. It was the ump's job to see whether the ball hit the bat or the batter. Jeter didn't make the call to send himself down to first, the umpire did.

Obviously, the game of baseball isn't perfect. However, IMO, its one thing to try to prove the "catch" or to frame the pitch have the ump make the call (either correctly and incorrectly) and the game goes on. Its another to sell the HBP well after the ump gave him first base. What was the point of act after first base was awarded?

Personally, I have a problem with the fake HBP because in my mind it crosses that ethical line of fair play. Do I expect all other people to agree with me. Of course not, that's just where I draw the line.

If its Jeter's job to get on base, then he should have just taken his base immediately after 1st base was awarded.

That being said, I also agree the umps have been lacking, especially this year. The ump's gotta make the right call there.

i only have a problem with it making news in the first place. not like this has never happened before, but i suppose it's a little different when it's the star player of the star team.

if Jeter would have immediately quit his acting once he got awarded 1st, that's fairly disrespectful to the ump, or at least something of a laugh in his face, not to mention Jeter loses some credibility the rest of the game.

people have likened this to flopping in basketball or the crying in soccer, but i think there's a big difference because of the frequency of it.

Out of curiosity, do you have a problem with an outfielder lifting his glove up to show the ump that he "caught" the ball when he actually trapped it?
When you're diving for the ball in the outfield and the ball ends up in your glove, you often don't know if you caught it on the fly or trapped it.

I think everything past the jump spin and holding his hand was overboard. If that was all he did and he took 1st base, no one would be talking about it. It became overboard when he kept grimacing in pain and called a trainer out to look at it.

Just last Wednesday I was playing 2nd. A flare was hit to the outfield. I ran out to be cut off and saw the center fielder dive in for the ball. I swear I saw it bounce right before it stuck in his glove. The ump (from behind home) called him out. I talked to the fielder and he believed he caught it. I still think it bounced.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

CC got interviewed after the Yanks clinched tonight and said it's great to be able to go to the playoffs two times in a row....umm hasn't CC went 4 yrs in a row now?
He almost certainly means two times in a row with the Yankees.

and with 1 walk every 6 ABs, I think 3TO has a new poster child! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Reynolds is currently sporting a pretty nifty 3TO of .544 (up from his paltry .518 in 2009)

For comparisons sake Dunn is at .484 & Branyan is at .472 this year. Rob Deer career 3TO of .491 in serious jeopardy.

CC got interviewed after the Yanks clinched tonight and said it's great to be able to go to the playoffs two times in a row....umm hasn't CC went 4 yrs in a row now?
He almost certainly means two times in a row with the Yankees.
I suppose once you've played for NYY, the rest of your life prior becomes forgettable in comparison.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Thanks to ESPN and Chris Singleton for telling me that it's unlikely the Padres make the playoffs. Three games behind the Giants with three to go and two behind the Braves in the wildcard, I really needed that expert analysis to help me figure out who was likely to make the playoffs.

Extra points for telling me how exciting the race is going to be this weekend after you just told me how unlikely it is for the Padres to make the playoffs.

Archived