Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB news that is pointless to say anywhere else thread

Principessa21
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Five of the six baseball division races are within 2.5 games or less. Could be some fun races down the stretch.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I love hearing Bob Costas doing games on the MLB Network.

To my ear, his voice means something significant is going on.

No doubt, Costas has always been one of my if not my favorite baseball play-by-play voice. I loved it when he used to do the World Series for NBC. Hearing him do games on MLB Network the last few years has been like old times.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

it'd be great if MLB Network put Costas and Uecker together for a post-season game/series, but they don't broadcast those.

Those two are golden when working together. Broadcasting and comedy gold.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Chipper Jones torn his ACL and is out for the year. Considering he said he'll probably retire this year, I think his career is over. With a career 76.2 WAR and .941 OPS, almost 500 doubles, over 400 homers, and being a switch-hitting 3rd baseman, I think he deserves to be in the HoF.

Chipper Jones torn his ACL and is out for the year. Considering he said he'll probably retire this year, I think his career is over. With a career 76.2 WAR and .941 OPS, almost 500 doubles, over 400 homers, and being a switch-hitting 3rd baseman, I think he deserves to be in the HoF.
I don't know. He seems very borderline to me. I could see him not get in just as easily as I can see him making it. Probably not a first ballot guy.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Maybe this should be in a different thread, but there is talk that JJ Hardy could be non-tendered after this season by the Twins. Sounds like they are keeping an eye out for other shortstop options for next season.
Well, at least we didn't get burned on that trade.

MINNEAPOLIS -- Ron Gardenhire heard the boos from Twins fans Sunday afternoon. And the Minnesota manager acknowledged he was kind of booing himself at the same time.

Even though Kevin Slowey just thrown seven innings of no-hit baseball against Oakland, Gardenhire went to his bullpen to finish the game. The bid for a combined no-hitter didn't last long, either, when Jon Rauch gave up a double to the second batter he faced in what would end being a 4-2 Twins victory.

"I would boo me too," Gardenhire said. "I took a pitcher out with a no-hitter going. But I would do it 1,000 times the same way."

The reason was simple: Elbow tendinitis caused Slowey to miss his last start. Combine that with 106 pitches to get through seven innings and there was little chance of him throwing two more innings -- even if he continued to hold the Athletics without a hit.

"We're not going to come close to risking this guy," Gardenhire said. "It's the way it is. It's sad. I'd be booing too because I want to see a no-hitter, but I also know I'm responsible for this guy's arm."

I think Dusty Baker's head just exploded.

Fwiw, Chipper Jones has said he's going to try to come back for next season.

Chipper Jones said Friday he will report to spring training next year with the Atlanta Braves as he attempts a comeback from major knee surgery.

Jones, speaking for the first time since the team announced he tore his left ACL and will miss the rest of the season, said he will have surgery on the knee Saturday.

The 38-year-old Jones says now is not the right time to "make a decision to quit."

"I'm going to go through the process just like I'm getting ready for spring training," he said. "I don't know how the knee is going to respond.

"I'll try to get ready for spring training and we'll see how it feels after that," he said.

The expected recovery time is about six months, giving him a chance to be ready for spring training in 2011. Jones said earlier this season he would consider retirement after the season.

Link

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I heard the Rockies were getting rid of Brad Hawpe. He hasn't played well this year but that still boggles my mind a bit since he was such a key member of their WS team a few years ago.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The Cubs are comical. The Padres had runners on second and third with one out and the batter hit a grounder to third. The runners had gone and the runner on second advanced to third while the runner who broke for home was tagged out in a rundown. After tagging the runner out, Koyie Hill wandered into the center of the infield and the runner at third broke for home. He scored. Epic Cubs Fail.

Archived