Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB news that is pointless to say anywhere else thread

Principessa21

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rick Ankiel said he was thinking about switching back to pitching if it will keep him in the show

For God's sake, someone remove that post before DM sees it and signs Ankiel.

Why did you post in blue, Nottso?
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

the thing about that call is that he gave up on the ball, assuming it was going to go foul. He just had to turn his head and watch the ball all the way to the ground and then make the call, but no, he just assumed it was going to go foul.

I loved the ump's arrogance afterward, stating that he still believed the ball to be foul.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

the thing about that call is that he gave up on the ball, assuming it was going to go foul. He just had to turn his head and watch the ball all the way to the ground and then make the call, but no, he just assumed it was going to go foul.

I loved the ump's arrogance afterward, stating that he still believed the ball to be foul.

That is a very misleading picture, it was a ground ball that already bounced before it reaches 3rd. The ump based his call on where he thought the ball was when it crossed the base. It was not a fly ball that landed behind him.

That is a very misleading picture, it was a ground ball that already bounced before it reaches 3rd. The ump based his call on where he thought the ball was when it crossed the base. It was not a fly ball that landed behind him.

The point of the picture was to show the umpire's view of the base. Once the ball bounces, it matters whether it crosses the base. I thought it did. What bothers me most about this situation is the umpire's arrogance. He won't even look at a replay because he says he's right.

The point of the picture is to try to show the ball was obviously foul and the ump missed it so ESPN can talk about forcing instant replay into MLB all day. It is misleading because it actually may have been a foul ball and the ump may have been correct.

I saw the replay from the Marlins game and it really looks to me like the ball initally bounced foul on the very first bounce which would make it a dead ball. I think it was a good call.
The first bounce looked fair to me (I assume you are talking about when it bounced a foot or two from the batter). But according to the rules, it doesn't matter:
A FOUL BALL is a batted ball that settles on foul territory between home and first

base, or between home and third base, or that bounds past first or third base on or over foul

territory, or that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base, or that, while on or over

foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, or any object foreign to the natural

ground.

Archived