Brewer Fanatic

What to do about Braun?

endaround

Without a doubt the Brewers could easily cut Braun, he is absolutely terrible! We are talking about Steve Braun right? ha

This may be one of the more pointless treads, Braun along with Gallardo are the faces of this franchise for the next 5 or more years, yeah he it a rough patch but he is still hitting .285, that is like 2nd or 3rd on the team. It is nothing new for Braun to hit a rough spot like this, he has every season (no quit this bad but still has gone 2 or 3 weeks of god awful hitting) and like usual he will play his way through it and get on a tear that will shoot him back up over .300. Braun is probably the last guy on the team I'd worry about. Even if he finish up with a season line of .290 25HR 85 RBI's (that is a guess of what he is on pace for) I would not consider that to be anything to complain about.

Of course there was going to be some regression but he shouldn't be hitting worse against LHP than RHP. Especially not 190 points of OPS worse.

It's 126 PA. Lots of things are possible. He shouldn't have had a split .600 points higher than his OPS against righties in 2007, but he did, and that was in 128 PA.

If you look at this line right now and his season line in 2008, his BA and OBP are remarkably similar, it's the slugging that is 90 points lower that is different.

If you look at this line right now and his season line in 2008, his BA and OBP are remarkably similar, it's the slugging that is 90 points lower that is different.

Braun's LHP splits are way out of line with his career or even a normal right handed hitter vs LHP. His RHP slits are all pretty similar to the rest of his career. I think it is safe to say that he hasn't hit LHP well this year for some reason or another and that is dragging his stat line down. Should we expect it to continue next year? I doubt it. He obviously will not hit LHP as well as in his rookie year but I really doubt anybody expected him to.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I've never seen Braun swinging to make contact as much as I have this season.

A few times in that Cubs series, he was wagging the bat through the zone, almost like a right handed Ichiro.

Before this season, he'd swing through more pitches, but he was always swinging hard. It seems as though his approach, at least to me (and I'm by no means an expert), has changed.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Braun has his own thoughts on the topic:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/100054989.html

This probably belongs in that other thread, but this article is a collection of quotes. You could do some work Mr. Witrado.

Anyway, he didn't talk about why he was struggling. I hope he isn't lost at the plate. I still believe he got into bad habits from the injury and it hasn't been corrected or recognized, so until then he's going to be subpar.

....And right in the midst of this thread banter, Braun wins NL Player of the Week:

"Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun has been named ... National League Player of the Week for the period of August 2-8, 2010. ... Braun led the Majors with a .538 (14-for-26) batting average and a .586 on-base percentage in six games last week. His 14 hits also led the big leagues while his eight runs scored were tied for first." (brewers.com email)

He's boosted his BA from .273 to .290 over the past nine games. 'Atta boy.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived