Brewer Fanatic

Corey Hart gets 3 year, $26.5 million contract extension

Invader3K
In spring training the organization thought so little of him they left him off the all star ballot for a 40 year old OF who had been out of the game for a year.

This isn't really true. The all star ballot is determined by the opening day starters. Edmonds got the opening day start, so he made the ballot.

I don't think that's correct. If that was the case than wouldn't anyone who started the year on the 15 day DL not be on the all star ballot? Are you telling me that if Prince or Braun started the season on the DL they aren't going to be on the all star ballot?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that is correct... at least...according to things I've read...

The team decided against putting Hart on the All-Star fan ballot, thinking

Edmonds might get hot and make a run at the midseason exhibition.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

This deal with Hart does limit our ability to upgrade our future rotations, and makes a Prince deal very important.

Giving Fielder a deal would be a very bad idea. I know people think we will have a bunch of cheap players and it wouldn't hamstring our club but I was reading an old thread about Braun last night and people were saying the same thing about the Suppan deal.

I should've been more clear. I meant that the return we get when we trade Prince will be important, as it is now our one big shot at getting someone to help in the starting rotation in 2011. I was on the fence about extending Fielder until Boras made his $200MM comment. That pretty much told me he was not going to sign an extension with the Brewers, so I knew we needed to trade him.

I got excited in believing that Corey Hart would bring back someone like Wade Davis, so we could go out and get the best value possible for Fielder. With Hart now extended, it looks like we will have to trade Prince for a package including a pitcher who will be in our 2011 rotation. That could possibly mean we won't get as much talent/upside back in return for getting more certainty/MLB experience in the Fielder trade.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Minnesota already exercised Cuddyer's 2011 option for $10.5M on 11/7/2009. Cuddy's contract by comparison (for 2008-2010) was 3/24.

3 years/$24M (2008-10)

• signed extension with Minnesota 1/25/08 (avoided arbitration, $6.2M-$4.7M)
    • $2.75M signing bonus (due 11/08)
    • 08:$5M, 09:$6.75M, 10:$8.5M, 11:$10.5M club option ($1M buyout)

I want Hart to do well, but I think we majorly overpaid based on Hart's power surge in May & subsequent AS appearance. I truly hope I'm wrong. For the record, i think Cuddy is overpaid as well, though his contract falls off if/when we decide to extend Delmon Young (provided he keeps up his hot streak)

From that list of next year's corner OFs, you can eliminate Crawford and Werth as they will be unattainable. I see Werth as a pretty similar player to Hart as well, even with the walk rates. After that its a pretty lean list. Its funny to see Gerut in there as well as Big Cat Cattalannato. I'd love to know the inside story on why Jody is in Arizona. Frank C probably has a better shot at 3rd base coach than corner OF next year.
Formerly AKA Pete

Werth is better than Hart is every aspect of the game of baseball. The only advantage Hart has over Werth is age. That being said, there is no guarantee (at all) that the Brewers would be able to sign Werth, even if they offered the highest contract.

Because of that, I've changed my stance a bit. My first reaction to the signing was that it was really dumb, because you could replace Hart's production for less money with free agent X, but after seeing the less than stellar list of free agents, I realized that there is no guarantee that anybody other than Crawford or Werth would be better than Hart. So, even though I think the Hart contract is just another instance of Melvin buying high, I now don't think the contract is really dumb, just unimaginative, and another brick in the wall in the push for sustained mediocrity.

Well, I disagree about Werth being superior. I sure don't think its a guarantee that he is better going forward. Even if Hart's offensive production slips some, its a value signing. What would be an imaginative signing?
Formerly AKA Pete

Well, I disagree about Werth being superior. I sure don't think its a guarantee that he is better going forward. Even if Hart's offensive production slips some, its a value signing. What would be an imaginative signing?

Is this just a gut feeling or can you back this up somehow?

Well, I disagree about Werth being superior. I sure don't think its a guarantee that he is better going forward.
I realize the argument is moot at this point, but name one thing Hart does better than Werth (other than the fact that he is younger)?

Jason Werth's slash line (BA/OBP/SLG) over last 4 seasons:

.279/.378/.499

Corey Hart's slash line (BA/OBP/SLG) over last 4 seasons:

.278/.331/.490

So, the batting average and slugging are essentially a wash, but the 45 points of OBP means Corey Hart makes a ton more outs than Jason Werth. Werth is also a much better base stealer than Hart and is a much better defensive player.

So, Werth is better at hitting, basestealing, and defense. That would seem to fit any definition of superior. Werth is older, but I'd put money on the fact that he will be more valuable than Hart over the next three seasons (the length of the newly minted contract).

AKA Pete wrote:

Even if Hart's offensive production slips some, its a value signing. What would be an imaginative signing?

I didn't say imaginative signing. I said that resigning an average player at the exact moment when their value is at its greatest point is unimaginative. It is also, in fact, the very opposite of a value signing. (How is $9 million a year for a guy with a .330 career OBP a value signing?) In my opinion, imaginative would have been turning Hart and Fielder + ? into prospects, some of whom you flip for Zack Grienke. But that is a different thread...

You don't need a player as good as Hart either. You can sign 2 platoon guys. If Hart played better defense then it would be tougher to get a platoon to replace him.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I was talking more about 2012 and beyond actually but I agree. We would have still had Hart next year anyway. I am more opposed to his 2012 and 2013 where 2 guys at $5-6m would give us $3-5m in savings.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 4 weeks later...
Possibly meaningless stat: Since Hart signed the extension, he's batting .221 /.274/.312 -- for a .585 OPS with 0 HR, 4 BB, and 29 K.
I'd say those stats are what we all expected. Not meaningless at all, just proves everyone's thinking.
Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades oh no.

In all seriousness, Hart being limited gives the Brewers the option of getting Gamel up to play some right field and get 3 starts or so a week against right handed pitchers. Let's see what he looks like. Chris Dickerson is not the answer.

In all seriousness, Hart being limited gives the Brewers the option of getting Gamel up to play some right field and get 3 starts or so a week against right handed pitchers. Let's see what he looks like.

I'll tell you what he'll look like, a bad defender. He'll make Hart look like Willie Mays. Gamel has played 3 games in the OF his whole life. He doesn't even have the luxory of above average speed that Hart and Braun have. I like Gamel, but he has no business in the OF.

Chris Dickerson should get playing time, because he's a good player. His numbers when starting for the Brewers mirror his solid career numbers. They need to find a way to get him more playing time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• 5 months later...

Archived